Temple Anshe Hesed
Temple Anshe Hesed is a Reform
synagoguelocated at the corner of West Tenth Street and Liberty Street in Erie, Pennsylvania. The congregation is affiliated with the Union for Reform Judaism.
Anshe Hesed, once spelled as Anschai Chesed Bates, Samuel P., History of Erie County, Pennsylvania, Part III, Chapter IV, Churches] , "was incorporated on
23 May 1862and organized as a classical Reform congregation on October 24, 1875, making it one of the oldest Reform communities in Pennsylvania." Temple Anshe Hesed webpage] The synagogue's name literally means "people of benevolence" (or kindness) in Hebrew.
In his history of the region, Samuel Bates reports that eight to ten members of this congregation began meeting in
1858. Members first met in an upstairs room at the corner of Fifth Street and French Street (the Lyons property) and subsequently met in temporary facilities on French Street, Holland Street, State Street; and then at another location on French Street.
Built in 1882, the congregation's first synagogue was "a brick structure trimmed in stone and an ornament to the city" . The land was purchased and the synagogue was built for a total cost of $13,000 . It was located on the north side of West Eighth Street , between Myrtle Street and Sassafras Street. [According to an Erie street map dated circa 2003, this entire block is part of
Gannon University, but a personal visit to the site revealed privately owned apartment buildings. A building at 230-232 West 8th Street is the only likely candidate for the old synagogue among extant buildings on the block.] At the time Samuel Bates published his history, the membership of Anshe Hesed was 35.
The Tenth Street location was dedicated on
27 June 1930.
Rabbis and prominent members of the congregation
Fourteen rabbis have served Anshe Hesed. Rabbi Weil served the congregation for about a year. Rabbi M. Wertzel, also known as M Wurzel, then served the congregation twice for a total of approximately fourteen years. He was followed by Rabbis Fuld, Dr. Flengel, Levi, and Stemple.
Rabbi Max C. Currick served the longest at 47 years (1901 to 1948). The most recent to serve have been Rabbis Randall M. Falk, Leonard Zion, Bernard Perlmuter, Lewis Littman, Bradley N. Bleefeld, Samuel Weinstein, Michael L. Feshbach, and Rabbi John L. Bush.
Mr. B. Baker was the first president of the congregation. As one of the congregation's oldest members, Mr. Baker laid the cornerstone of the first synagogue in 1882.
Jewish cemetery, which is now called the Anshe Hesed Cemetery, was founded in 1846. It is located a block west of Erie Cemeteryon West 26th Street between Cherry Street and Poplar Street. [Visit to premises by writer, 13 June 2007]
* [http://www.taherie.org/about.html Temple Anshe Hesed]
* [http://www.rootsweb.com/~paerie/bates/bates3IV.htm Bates History of Erie County, Part III, Chapter IV, Churches]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
LASSAW, IBRAM — (1913–2003), U.S. sculptor. Born in Alexandria, Egypt, to Russian immigrant parents, in 1921 Lassaw arrived in the United States. In 1926 he began his formal art training at Brooklyn s Children Museum. Additional study was undertaken at the Clay… … Encyclopedia of Judaism
Erie, Pennsylvania — Erie redirects here. For other uses, see Erie (disambiguation). Coordinates: 42°7′46.42″N 80°5′6.77″W / 42.1295611°N 80.0852139°W … Wikipedia
Demographics of Erie, Pennsylvania — Historical populations Census Pop. %± 1880 27,237 … Wikipedia
Jewish history in Pennsylvania — dates back to Colonial America.First mentionOne of the original thirteen states of the American Union; named after William Penn, who received a grant of the territory from King Charles II in 1681. When Peter Stuyvesant, in 1655, conquered the… … Wikipedia
NEW YORK CITY — NEW YORK CITY, foremost city of the Western Hemisphere and largest urban Jewish community in history; pop. 7,771,730 (1970), est. Jewish pop. 1,836,000 (1968); metropolitan area 11,448,480 (1970), metropolitan area Jewish (1968), 2,381,000… … Encyclopedia of Judaism