Bongaigaon Refinery and Petrochemicals Limited
company_name = Bongaigaon Refinery and Petrochemicals Limited
company_type = PSU (Trading on BSE & NSE)
February 20, 1974(Commissioned 1979)
num_employees = 1741 (March 31, 2005)
industry = Oil refining
homepage = [http://www.brplindia.com www.brplindia.com]
Bongaigaon Refinery & Petrochemicals Ltd. (BRPL) was incorporated on 20th February 1974 as a public sector undertaking fully owned by the Govt. of India.
The Company was registered with an authorised capital of Rs. 50 crore, which was increased to Rs. 200 crore by December 1983. The total paid up capital of the Company stood at Rs. 199.82 crore as on 31.03.2005.
The Govt. of India was holding the entire paid-up capital of the Company till 1990-91. The Government disinvested 25.54% of its share holding in BRPL to the public during 1991-92 to 1993-94. The remaining equity of 74.46% was disinvested in favour of Indian Oil Corporation Ltd. on 29th March 2001. As a result, BRPL became a subsidiary company of Indian Oil Corporation Ltd., a Government of India undertaking.
The Company has its registered office and production facilities at DHALIGAON in CHIRANG District of ASSAM. In addition, the company has got marketing and Regional Offices at GUWAHATI, KOLKATA, MUMBAI and DELHI.
BRPL is in the business of petroleum refining to meet the increasing energy needs of the nation and to produce and market value added Petrochemicals and PSF products. The production facilities of the Company consists of a refinery with a crude processing capacity of 2.35 million tones per annum. A petrochemicals complex comprising of a Xylene plant, Dimethyle Terephthalate (DMT) plant and a Polyester Staple Fibre (PSF) Plant. While commercial production of the Refinery started in 1979, the other plants were commisioned in stages, the last being the PSF plant in 1988. The refinery presently processes crude oil produced in the Assam oil fields as well as Ravva oil fields in Andhra Coast. The most important raw material for the Petrochemicals units is Naptha, which is supplied from the Refinery itself.
The major products from the refinery are LPG, MS, Naptha, ATF, SKO, HSD, LDO, LSHS, LVFO, RPC & CPC. DMT and PSF are the most important products of the Petrochemicals sector. While the petroleum products (except RPC & CPC) are marketed by Indian Oil Corporation Ltd., (Marketing Division), the Petrochemical products and RPC & CPC are marketed by BRPL itself through its own marketing network.
As on 31.03.2005 the Company had on its roll 1741 employees.
REFINERY : Initial capacity of 1.00 MMTPA - commissioned in 1979 Debottlenecked to 1.35 MMTPA in 1987 Expanded to 2.35 MMTPA in 1995
PETROCHEMICALS: 29,000 MTPA Para-Xylene plant commissioned in 1985 45,000 MTPA DMT Plant commissioned in 1985 30,000 MTPA PSF plant commissioned in 1988
MARKETING : Petrochemical products by BRPL through its countrywide network; Refinery products by Indian Oil through a marketing agreement.
Turnover = Rs. 3204 crore (2003-04) = Rs. 4992 crore (2004-05)Net Profit = Rs. 304 crore (2003-04) = Rs. 478 crore (2004-05)Dividend = Rs. 173.5 crore (2003-04) = Rs. 272.5 crore (2004-05)Contribution to Exchequer (Cumulative up to 2004-05) = Rs. 3751.8 crore
BRPL received the following awards in 2004-05a) GreenTech Silver Safety award 2004b) Second Prize in the area of 'FURNACE & BOILER EFFICIENCY' based on the 'JOINT OIL CONSERVATION SURVEY - 2004' conducted by CHT during OGCF, 2004.c) GreenTech Environment Excellence Gold Award for 2004-05 on 22nd October, 2005.d) National Safety Award for longest accident free period on 7th September, 2005.e) First prize in the Jawaharlal Nehry Cenetary Award for Energy Performance of Refineries for the year 2004-05 on 14th November 2005.f) Third prize for minimum steam leak amongst all refineries in the country in the Oil & Gas Conservation Fortnight Award for 2005 received on 14th November 2005.
The head of BRPL as per 01 June 2008, 04.44 PM GMT is Apurba Kumar Sarmah.
* [http://www.brplindia.com Bongaigaon Refinery and Petrochemicals Ltd]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bongaigaon Refinery — On 5 December 1969, the then Prime Minister of India, Indira Gandhi announced in the Lok Sabha the Government s decision to set up a new Refinery cum Petrochemical complex in Assam. The foundation stone of the complex was laid on 19th January… … Wikipedia
Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (India) — The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MOP NG) is a ministry of the Government of India. It is responsible for the exploration, production, refining, distribution, marketing, import, export, and conservation of petroleum, natural gas,… … Wikipedia
Indian Oil Corporation — For the American based oil company, see Indian Refining Company. Indian Oil Corporation Limited Type State owned enterprise Public company Traded as BSE: … Wikipedia
Oil India — Limited Type Goverenment of India Enterprise Industry Oil and gas … Wikipedia