Christy O'Sullivan Teachta Dála In office
May 2007 – February 2011
Constituency Cork South West Personal details Born 27 November 1948
Clonakilty, County Cork
Nationality Irish Political party Fianna Fáil Spouse(s) Paddi O'Connell Website christyosullivan.com
From Clonakilty in County Cork, O'Sullivan first stood for public office at the 1999 local elections, when he stood as independent in the Skibbereen local electoral area and won a seat on Cork County Council. He contested the 2002 general election in Cork South West as an independent, when he won over 10% of the votes but was not elected.
He was re-elected to the County Council at the 2004 local elections, and in January 2007 he joined Fianna Fáil, and was imposed as a Fianna Fáil candidate for the 2007 general election, without a selection conference. His popularity as a local councillor was hoped to strengthen the party's hopes of retaining the two seats which it had won in the three-seat constituency in 2002, and O'Sullivan was seen as a strong candidate to succeed Joe Walsh, who was retiring after 30 years in Dáil Éireann.
The strategy partly worked. Fianna Fáil increased its share of the vote, with O'Sullivan topped the poll, and he was the first candidate to win a seat. However, his colleague Denis O'Donovan, who had won a seat from Fine Gael in 2002, was defeated after just one term in the Dáil.
Under the Local Government Act 2001, O'Sullivan vacated his council seat when elected to the Dáil. His son Christopher was then co-opted to the County Council in his place.
He was arrested on suspicion of drink driving on 2 June 2008, he has apologised after failing a breath test near Clonakilty. On 4 November 2008, he was banned for driving for 1 year and fined €300 after pleading guilty to a charge of drink driving.
- ^ "Mr. Christy O'Sullivan". Oireachtas Members Database. http://www.oireachtas.ie/members-hist/default.asp?housetype=0&HouseNum=30&MemberID=2175&ConstID=45. Retrieved 12 March 2008.
- ^ a b c "Christy O'Sullivan". ElectionsIreland.org. http://www.electionsireland.org/candidate.cfm?ID=4765. Retrieved 12 March 2008.
- ^ Liam Reid and Barry Roche (30 January 2008). "Independent councillor in Cork South West declares for Fianna Fáil". The Irish Times. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2007/0130/1169680966738.html. Retrieved 12 March 2008.
- ^ Con Downing (28 May 2008). "Cork South West". The Irish Times. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2007/0528/1180134001792.html. Retrieved 12 March 2008.
- ^ "Cork TD embarrassed at drink drive arrest". RTÉ News. 4 June 2008. http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0604/osullivanc.html. Retrieved 5 June 2008.
- ^ "Fianna Fáíl TD banned for drink driving". RTÉ News. 4 November 2008. http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1104/osullivanc.html. Retrieved 5 November 2008.
Oireachtas Preceded by
Fianna Fáil Teachta Dála for Cork South West
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Christy Ring — Personal information Irish name Críostóir Ó Rinn Sport … Wikipedia
Christy Ring — Christy Ring.jpg Fiche d’identité Sport Hurling Nom irlandais Críostóir Ó Rinn Nationalité Irlande Date de naissance 12 octobre 1921 Lieu … Wikipédia en Français
Christy Walsh (hurler) — Christy Walsh Personal information Sport Hurling Position Forward Born … Wikipedia
Christy Heffernan — Personal information Irish name Críostóir Ó hIfearnáin Sport Hurling … Wikipedia
Christy Clark — Christina Joan „Christy“ Clark (* 29. Oktober 1965 in Burnaby, British Columbia) ist eine kanadische Politikerin. Seit dem 14. März 2011 ist sie Premierministerin der Provinz British Columbia und Vorsitzende der British Columbia Liberal Party.… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Christy Clark — This article is about the Canadian politician. For the Montana politician, see Christy Clark (Montana politician). For the American soap actress, see Christie Clark. The Honourable Christy Clark MLA … Wikipedia
Christy Mihos — Mihos redirects here. For the Egyptian lion god, see Maahes. Christy Mihos Massachusetts Turnpike Commission Member: July 1, 1999 July 1, 2004 Successor: Daniel A. Grabauskas Profession: Convenie … Wikipedia
Sam Sullivan — Infobox Mayor honorific prefix= name = Sam Sullivan caption = order = Mayor of Vancouver term start = 2005 term end = predecessor = Larry Campbell successor = birth date = birth place = death date = death place = constituency = party = Non… … Wikipedia
Owen Roe O'Sullivan — (1748 ndash; 29 June 1782) ( Irish: Eoghan Rua or Eoghan Ruadh Ó Súilleabháin ) was an Irish poet.O Sullivan is known as one of the last great Gaelic poets. A recent anthology of Irish language poetry speaks of his extremely musical poems full of … Wikipedia
Cool Christy — is a 2002 double CD compilation of recordings by jazz vocalist June Christy from 1945 to 1951. Disc One Tampico (Gene Roland) It s Been a Long, Long Time (Jule Styne, Sammy Cahn) It Ain t Necessarily So (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) How High… … Wikipedia