Oswald LeWinter (born 1931) is an Austrian-born American author, poet, self claimed former CIA agent and a conspiracy theorist. He is also an alleged hoaxer, most notably he tried to sell forgeries to Mohamed Fayed in 1998, suggesting that the British intelligence service was involved in the death of Diana, Princess of Wales.
In the early 1990s, LeWinter was exposed when he was used as source in many publications regarding the October surprise conspiracy, including the works of Barbara Honegger, Richard Brenneke and Gary Sick. Gary Sick, who cited him in his book October Surprise, later repudiated him.. He almost certainly was the man who purchased an almost random set of clothing in Paul Gauci's shop in Malta, which was found at the site of the Pan Am 103 crash.
LeWinter claims to have studied at Columbia University, before obtaining degrees from UC Berkeley (B.A. 1960) and San Francisco State College (M.A. 1961). From 1961 to 1963 he worked as an English instructor at the Penn State University. LeWinter supposedly received a doctorate of social sciences from the University of Tübingen in Germany. He has supposedly taught the History of Ideas at Jagiello University in Poland, Chulalongkorn University in Thailand, the University of Würzburg, Germany, among others.
In May 1960 LeWinter was present at the "Black Friday" protest against the House Un-American Activities Committee at the San Francisco City Hall. He would later condemn the propaganda film Operation Abolition in a letters to the editors of the Penn State University campus journal.
In 1969 LeWinter was named vice president and director of marketing at Systems Simulation, Inc.
LeWinter is widely believed to have worked for the CIA, possibly for over 30 years.
Oswald LeWinter is a poet, and has also written two books that were published in Portuguese, Desmantelar a America (2001) and Democracia e Secretismo (2002). His most recent books of poems are "More Atoms of Memory" (2006), and "Ages of Chaos and Fury: Selected Poems 1949–2005" (2005). In 1963 he published and anthology of writings on Shakespeare by Europeans, which he edited and translated, titled "Shakespeare in Europe,". The book was initially published by Meridian Books and later became part of the Penguin Shakespeare Series in England, chosen by Professor Spencer. I has also been translated into Portuguese. He has written a major article for The Reader's Encyclopedia of Shakespeare (Crowell, 1966)..
- Oswald LeWinter (1970). Shakespeare in Europe. Penguin Books. ISBN 0140530169.
LeWinter has received the International Rilke Prize in Poetry (1997) He has supposedly won the Asher Prize, the Coolbrith Prize, the Shrout Short Story Prize, the New American Library Poetry Prize, and was awarded a traveling research grant by the American Philosophical Society.
Oswald Lewinter was left behind by his parents in Vienna, and deported with his aunt to Auschwitz. His aunt died and Lewinter found the remains of her skin on a lamp in an antique store. He was 'bought' by a New Jersey philanthropist and saved from extermination along with 999 highly intelligent Jewish children.
He claims to have worked for the CIA who denied him a pension.
Oswald Lewinter was married to Marcia Dale Lewinter, and had two sons from that marriage David Lewinter. His second wife was Elke Zeller, and they had one son, Simon Lewinter.
- ^ a b Lawrence Fellows (September 3, 1976). The New York Times: C3. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FA0F12F93E5812718DDDAA0894D1405B868BF1D3.
- ^ a b "Tinker, Tailor, Poet, Spy?". The Washington Post. 2001-02-15. pp. C01.
- ^ Frank Snepp (1992-02-25). "October Surmise". The Village Voice. pp. 29–41.
- ^ a b U.S. House. Committee on Foreign Affairs. Joint report of the Task Force to Investigate Certain Allegations Concerning the Holding of American Hostages by Iran in 1980 ("October Surprise Task Force"). (H. Rpt. 102-1102). January 3, 1993.
- ^ a b c Oswald LeWinter (Nov 14, 1961). "Pablum for Diaper Patriots". Daily Collegian (Penn State University). http://digitalnewspapers.libraries.psu.edu/Default/Skins/BasicArch/Client.asp?Skin=BasicArch&&AppName=2&enter=true&BaseHref=DCG/1961/11/14&EntityId=Ar00401.
- ^ Oswald LeWinter (Feb 7, 1963). "Prof Alarmed At Power Grab Daily". Daily Collegian (Penn State University). http://digitalnewspapers.libraries.psu.edu/Default/Skins/BasicArch/Client.asp?Skin=BasicArch&&AppName=2&enter=true&BaseHref=DCG/1963/02/07&EntityId=Ar00400.
- ^ Oswald LeWinter (Mar 29, 1962). "An Open Letter to ; President Kennedy". Daily Collegian (Penn State University). http://digitalnewspapers.libraries.psu.edu/Default/Skins/BasicArch/Client.asp?Skin=BasicArch&&AppName=2&enter=true&BaseHref=DCG/1962/03/29&EntityId=Ar00300.
- ^ Advertising: More A do on Cigarette Curbs. Feb 20, 1969. p. 78.
- ^ Lewinter To Head Library Book Fair. March 2, 1977. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=6OkgAAAAIBAJ&sjid=MW4FAAAAIBAJ&pg=1233,201857&dq=oswald-lewinter&hl=en.
- ^ a b Peter Koenig (3 May 1998). "Al Fayed and the CIA conman". The Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/al-fayed-and-the-cia-conman-1161637.html. Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- ^ Christopher Hitchens (1991-12-02). "Minority Report". The Nation.
- ^ a b . iUniverse. p. 81. ISBN 0595246974. http://books.google.com/books?id=9g-UIMo1SaYC&pg=PA81&lpg=PA81&dq=%22Ibrahim+Razin%22&source=bl&ots=725pODCs1I&sig=K3EHrNB6doYIvhd76VwQw3Dlxjk&hl=en&ei=ESNeTMGcL9qgOIfr_bwJ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBkQ6AEwATgK#v=onepage&q=%22Ibrahim%20Razin%22&f=false.
- ^ Books Today; Fiction General. Jun 4, 1963.
- ^ Karl Krolow (June 2003). "Excerpt from the Judge's Statement on Awarding the International Rilke Prize to Oswald Le Winter". Ygdrasil, A Journal of the Poetic Arts. ISSN 1480-6401. http://www.synapse.net/kgerken/Y-0306.HTM.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Oswald LeWinter — (* 1931, angeblich in Wien, Österreich, möglicherweise aber auch in den USA geboren) ist ein US amerikanischer Hochstapler, der neben seinen poetischen Werken für seine Falschmeldungen bekannt wurde. So versuchte er beispielsweise 1998 Mohamed … Deutsch Wikipedia
Oswald (Vorname) — Oswald ist ein männlicher Vorname. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Herkunft und Bedeutung des Namens 2 Namenstag 3 Bekannte Namensträger 4 Varianten … Deutsch Wikipedia
The Maltese Double Cross – Lockerbie — The Maltese Double Cross Lockerbie is a documentary film about the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103.Produced, written, and directed by Allan Francovich and financed by Tiny Rowland, the film was released by Hemar Enterprises in November 1994. [… … Wikipedia
The Maltese Double Cross — – Lockerbie is a documentary film about the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103. Produced, written, and directed by Allan Francovich and financed by Tiny Rowland, the film was released by Hemar Enterprises in November 1994. Though it was never… … Wikipedia
José Baptista Pinheiro de Azevedo — Infobox Prime Minister name=Pinheiro de Azevedo order= 105th Prime Minister of Portugal (51st of the Republic, 3rd since the Carnation Revolution) term start =September 19 1975 term end =June 23 1976 deputy= predecessor =Vasco Gonçalves successor … Wikipedia
Allan Francovich — (1941 ndash; April 24, 1997) was an American film producer and director who made a series of films purporting to expose Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) covert operations.Francovich suffered a heart attack while going through US customs at… … Wikipedia
Melzer Verlag — Der Melzer Verlag ist ein kleiner Judaica Verlag mit Sitz in Neu Isenburg. Das Unternehmen wird als GmbH geführt. Für das Programm zeichnete Abraham Melzer verantwortlich, der mit seiner verlegerischen Tätigkeit an das Werk seines Vaters Joseph… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Liste D'espions — Vous trouverez ci dessous trois listes d espions célèbres. La première contient le nom d espions et d espionnes ayant réellement vécu ou en vie ; la seconde des personnes accusées injustement d espionnage et la troisième contient le nom de… … Wikipédia en Français
Liste d'espions — Vous trouverez ci dessous trois listes d espions célèbres. La première contient le nom d espions et d espionnes ayant réellement vécu ou en vie ; la seconde des personnes accusées injustement d espionnage et la troisième contient le nom de… … Wikipédia en Français
Liste d'espions célèbres — Liste d espions Vous trouverez ci dessous trois listes d espions célèbres. La première contient le nom d espions et d espionnes ayant réellement vécu ou en vie ; la seconde des personnes accusées injustement d espionnage et la troisième… … Wikipédia en Français