Suheir Hammad (b.
October 25, 1973) is a Palestinian-American poet, author and political activist. She was born in Amman, Jordanto Palestinianrefugee parents and immigrated with her family to Brooklyn, New York Citywhen she was five years old. Her parents later moved to Staten Island. [ [http://poetryforthepeople.org/feb-22-suheir-hammad/ Poetry for the People - brief Bio] ]
As an adolescent Hammad was heavily influenced by Brooklyn's vibrant
Hip-Hopscene. She had also absorbed the stories her parents and grandparents had told her of life in their hometown of Lydda, before the 1948 Palestinian exodus, and of the suffering they endured afterward, first in the Gaza Stripand then in Jordan. From these disparate influences Hammad was able to weave into her work a common narrative of dispossession, not only in her capacity as an immigrant, a Palestinian and a Muslim, but as a woman struggling against society's inherent sexismand as a poet in her own right. When hip-hop entrepreneur Russel Simmonscame across her piece entitled 'First Writing Since,' describing her reaction to the September 11attacks, he signed her onto a deal with HBO's Def Poetry Jam. She recited original works on tour for the following two years. She is now working on her third publication which will be a book of prose.
Film and Video
*"Lest We Forget" (2003) - Narrator
*"The Fourth World War" (2004) - Narrator
*"Salt of This Sea" (2008) - Soraya
*"Blood Trinity" (2002) The New York Hip Hop Theater Festival
* *Libretto by Suheir Hammad
* The Audre Lorde Writing Award, Hunter College (1995, 2000)
* The Morris Center for Healing Poetry Award (1996)
* New York Mills Artist Residency (1998)
* Van Lier Fellowship (1999)
* The 2001 Emerging Artist Award, Asian/Pacific/American Studies Institute at NYU
* TONY Award – Special Theatrical Event – original cast member and writer for Russell Simmons Presents Def Poetry Jam on Broadway (2003)
* Suheir is also a talent associate for the Peabody Award winning HBO show Russell Simmons Presents Def Poetry (2003)
* "Born Palestinian, Born Black". Harlem River Press, 1996, ISBN 0-863-16244-4. [http://www.inmotionmagazine.com/ac/shammad.html In Motion Magazine] ]
* "Drops of This Story" Harlem River Press, 1996.
* "Zaatar Diva" Cypher Books, 2006, ISBN 1-892-49467-1
*"The Amsterdam News"
*"Black Renaissance/Renaissance Noire"
*"Drum Voices Revue"
*"STRESS Hip-Hop Magazine"
*"Quarterly Black Review of Books"
*"The Olive Tree Review"
*"The Hunter Envoy"
*"In Defense of Mumia" (Writers and Readers)
*"New to North America" (Burning Bush Press)
*"The Space Between Our Footsteps" (Simon & Shuster)
*"Identity lessons" (Penguin)
*"Listen Up!" (Ballantine)
*"Post Gibran: Anthology of New Arab-American Writing" (Jusoor Press)
*"Becoming American" (Hyperion)
*"Bum Rush the Page" (Three Rivers Press)
*"The Poetry of Arab Women" (Interlink Books)
*"Voices for Peace" (Scribner)
*"Another World is Possible" (Subway & Elevated Press)
*"33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women’s History" (Crown)
*"Trauma at Home" (Bison Press)
*"Sing, Whisper, Shout, Pray!; Feminist Visions for a Just World" (Edge Work)
*"Russell Simmons Presents Def Poetry Jam on Broadway" (Atria)
*"Short Fuse, The Global Anthology of New Fusion Poetry", edited by Swift & Norton; (Rattapallax Press)
*"Word. On Being a (Woman) Writer", edited by Jocelyn Burrell; (The Feminist Press)
* [http://www.suheirhammad.com/ Suheir Hammad's Official Website]
* [http://teachingforchange.org/News%20Items/first_writing_since.htm Suheir Hammad, text of "First Writing Since"]
* [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSUaTpkMUk Suheir Hammad Performing "First Writing Since"]
* [http://www.theangrypoet.com/archives/voice/hammad/ Suheir Hammad, text of "Mike Check"]
* [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q11Nnba3iQ Suheir Hammad performing "Mike Check"]
* [http://imeu.net/news/article00317.shtml Profile on Suheir Hammad at the Institute for Middle East Understanding]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Def Poetry — Def Poetry, also known as Russell Simmons Presents Def Poetry or Def Poetry Jam, which was co founded by Bruce George, Danny Simmons and Deborah Pointer, is an HBO television series produced by hip hop music entrepreneur Russell Simmons. The… … Wikipedia
La sal de este mar — Milh Hadha Al Bahr Solicita una imagen para este artículo. Título La sal de este mar Ficha técnica … Wikipedia Español
List of Palestinians — The following is a list of prominent Palestinians. Academic figures * Rami Abuhabsah, Biologist * Nadia Abu El Haj, anthropologist * Sami Hadawi, land specialist and researcher * Ibrahim Abu Lughod, sociologist * Salman Abu Sitta * Naseer Aruri,… … Wikipedia
Alix Olson — Infobox Person name = Alix Olson birth date = 1975 birth place = Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, U.S. occupation = Spoken word poetAlix Olson (born 1975 in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania [ [http://www.mindtv.org/cgi bin/display asset.fcg?member id=1776;ordinal … Wikipedia
List of Arab Americans — This is a list of famous Arab Americans. ListAcademics*Dr. Imad ad Dean Ahmad teaches religion, science and freedom at the University of Maryland, College Park and directs the Minaret of Freedom Institute. [… … Wikipedia
2006 in poetry — yearbox2 in?=in poetry in2?=in literature cp=20th century c=21st century cf=22nd century yp1=2003 yp2=2004 yp3=2005 year=2006 ya1=2007 ya2=2008 ya3=2009 dp3=1970s dp2=1980s dp1=1990s d=2000s da=0 dn1=2010s dn2=2020s dn3=2030s|Events*French public … Wikipedia
List of Arab American writers — This article is a list of Arab American writers.*Edward Abboud, political writer, author of [http://www.voxpublishing.com/IE/] *Elmaz Abinader, author, playwright and activist; PEN Oakland/Josephine Miles Literary Award recipient *Diana Abu Jaber … Wikipedia
Saleemah Abdul-Ghafur — is an author and activist (faith based initiatives and gender equality in Islam). She works with Malaria No More, a leading non profit formed to advance the United Nations Millennium Development Goals by ending malaria related deaths by 2012. She … Wikipedia
Palestine Festival of Literature — The Palestine Festival of Literature was held in 2008, to bring a literary event of an international standard to the Palestinian people to assert the power of culture over the culture of power. In recognition of how restricted movement is for… … Wikipedia
Das Salz des Meeres — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel Das Salz des Meeres Originaltitel Milh Hadha Al Bahr (Salt of This Sea) … Deutsch Wikipedia