An alumni association is an association of graduates (alumni) or, more broadly, of former students. In the United Kingdom and the United States, alumni of universities, colleges, schools (especially independent schools), fraternities, and sororities often form groups with alumni from the same organisation. These associations often organise social events, publish newsletters or magazines, and raise funds for the organisation. Many provide a variety of benefits and services that help alumni maintain connections to their educational institution and fellow graduates. In the US, most associations do not require its members to be an alumnus of a university to enjoy membership and privileges.
Additionally, such groups often support new alumni, and provide a forum to form new friendships and business relationships with people of similar background.
Alumni associations are mainly organised around universities or departments of universities, but may also be organised among students that studied in a certain country. In the past, they were often considered to be the university's or school's old boy society (or old boys network). Today, alumni associations involve graduates of all age groups and demographics.
In Anglo-Saxon countries, membership of an alumni association often goes without saying. In continental Europe, alumni associations are getting more and more popular as universities receive less money from governments and depend more on networking within civil society for funding.
Alumni associations are often organised into chapters by city, region, or country.
Alumni associations can also include associations of former employees of a business. An alumnus of a company is a person who was formerly employed by it. These associations are growing in popularity and becoming an important part of a personal business network.
List of Alumni associations
- University of Washington Alumni Association
- University of Kentucky
- Alumni Association of RV College of Engineering, Bangalore, India
- Auburn Alumni Association
- California Institute of Technology Alumni Association
- Cal Poly Pomona Alumni Association
- Cornell Black Alumni Association, Inc.
- College of Charleston Alumni Association
- University of Florida Alumni Association
- Georgia Tech Alumni Association
- University of Illinois Alumni Association
- Indiana Wesleyan University Alumni Association
- Michigan State University Alumni Association
- Purdue Engineering Alumni Association
- Stanford University Alumni Association
- University of Saskatchewan Alumni Association
- Texas Exes, more formally The Ex-Students' Association of The University of Texas (at Austin)
- The Association of Former Students (Texas A&M University)
- Texas Tech Alumni Association
- Bruin Alumni Association (UCLA—not affiliated with the school or its official alumni association)
- UCSD Alumni Association
- University of Washington Alumni Association
- Association des Centraliens de Lyon
- Grenoble INP Alumni
- The Warsash Association (ex-Cadets & students of The Warsash Maritime Academy, originally The School of Navigation.)
- SABIS school network (http://www.sabis.com/)
- Alumni Association of Benadir University
- NTU Alumni Association
- ISTOM Alumni
- Solvay Brussels School of Economics and Management Alumni
- Erasmus Mundus Students and Alumni Association
- OCEANS Network
- ^ "Corporate, Military, and Government Alumni Groups (250+)". 2008-06-01. http://www.job-hunt.org/employer_alumni_networking.shtml. Retrieved 2008-09-08.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
alumni association — [alumni association] noun (in the US) an organization of people who have all been to a particular school or university. See also ↑alma mater … Useful english dictionary
alumni association — noun an association of former students of a college or university … Wiktionary
alumni association — n (in the US) an organization of people who have all been to a particular school or university. See also alma mater. * * * … Universalium
University of Saskatchewan Alumni Association — The University of Saskatchewan Alumni Association [http://www.usask.ca/alumni/alumnisite/association/] (U of S Alumni Association) is a volunteer driven, non profit organization that works in partnership with University Advancement… … Wikipedia
UCSD Alumni Association — Infobox University image size =150px name =UCSD Alumni Association established =1964 president =Mark Diamond director =Armin Afsahi type =501(c)(3) city =La Jolla, San Diego state =California country =USA colors =Navy Blue and Gold color… … Wikipedia
University of Florida Alumni Association — Infobox University image size =200px name =Alumni Association established =1906 president =Terri D. Parnell director =Leland D. Patouillet type = city =Gainesville state =Florida country =USA colors =Orange and Blue color box|#FF4A00color… … Wikipedia
Bruin Alumni Association — The Bruin Alumni Association is a conservative group for alumni of University of California, Los Angeles. It has no official affiliation with the University of California or the official UCLA Alumni Association. It is a private, 501(c)(3) non… … Wikipedia
University of Washington Alumni Association — The University of Washington Alumni Association (UWAA) is a 501(c)(3) non profit organization whose purpose is to connect alumni with the University of Washington and its mission. Founded in 1889, the same year Washington became a state, only a… … Wikipedia
Major League Baseball Players Alumni Association — The Major League Baseball Players Alumni Association (MLBPAA) is a 501(c)3 non profit organization created in 1982 to promote the game of baseball, raise money for charity, inspire and educate youth through positive sport images, and protect the… … Wikipedia
Blue Angels Alumni Association — The Blue Angels Alumni Association is an organization of past members of the United States Navy Flight Demonstration Squadron, otherwise known as the Blue Angels.On November 9, 1996, the first meeting of the Blue Angels Alumni Association was… … Wikipedia