Tacoma Mall shooting
Tacoma Mall shooting Location Tacoma, Washington, United States Date November 20, 2005 Target Tacoma Mall Attack type Spree shooting Weapon(s) semi-automatic rifle, semi-automatic pistol Death(s) 0 Injured 6 Perpetrator(s) Dominick Sergio Maldonado
The Tacoma Mall shooting was a spree shooting that occurred on November 20, 2005 at the Tacoma Mall in Tacoma, Washington, United States. The gunman, Dominick Maldonado, entered the mall with a semi-automatic Norinco MAK-90 rifle and a pistol, injuring six before he instigated four armed kidnappings.
During the course of the shooting, Brandon (Dan) McKown, a legally armed citizen, intervened. McKown drew his 9mm CZ pistol and verbally commanded Maldonado to put down his gun. Maldonado's response was to fire on McKown, striking him once in the leg and four times in the torso, damaging McKown's spine and leaving him paralyzed. In addition to McKown, five other people were shot but not seriously injured, and a seventh person received a non-gunshot injury. At least one other person in the mall at the time also pulled a gun on Maldonado but did not fire for fear of hitting innocent bystanders.
Maldonado then took four people hostage in a Sam Goody store, including two employees, a customer, and a 12-year-old boy whom he only briefly held captive before releasing. The attack began shortly after noon, and the hostage situation lasted until four p.m. when Maldonado surrendered to a Tacoma police SWAT team without further incident.
Hostages taken during the incident chronicle their story on Biography Channel's I Survived....
The perpetrator in the shootings was 20-year-old Dominick Sergio Maldonado, who had an extensive juvenile criminal record including burglary, theft, and possession of burglary tools. He had also been given a court order not to possess any weapons. At the time of the shooting, Maldonado had recently separated from his girlfriend, and had been taking methamphetamine for five days.
Trial and imprisonment
Maldonado was charged with eight counts of first-degree assault, four counts of first-degree kidnapping, and two counts of unlawful possession of a firearm. Maldonado pleaded not guilty to the charges and has since been through five different lawyers and three defense teams.
Maldonado was convicted on October 2, 2007 and sentenced to 163 years in prison on November 2. He unsuccessfully attempted to escape from the Clallam Bay Corrections Center on June 29, 2011.During the escape attempt 25-year-old Dominick Maldonado took a corrections officer hostage using a pair of scissors. Kevin Newland, a second inmate, was shot and killed by a guard after driving a forklift through a set of doors and crashing it into a perimeter fence. 
- Westroads Mall shooting
- Trolley Square shooting
- Appalachian School of Law shooting
- Tyler courthouse shooting
- Sello mall shooting
- ^ "Mall victim held fire at ‘kid’". thenewstribune.com. 2005-11-29. http://dwb.thenewstribune.com/news/local/story/5363616p-4853200c.html. Retrieved 2007-11-02.
- ^ "Mall shooting suspect surrenders". CNN.com. 2007-11-02. http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/11/20/mall.shooting/. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- ^ Heffter, Emily; Sommerfeld, Julia; Carter, Mike (2005-11-20). "Man arrested in Tacoma Mall shooting". The Seattle Times. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002636254_webmallshooting20.html. Retrieved 2007-11-02.
- ^ "Plea offer for teen that injured seven scorned by defense". KING5.com. 2006-03-03. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. http://web.archive.org/web/20070927041117/http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_030306WABmaldonadoKC.80f94ee5.html. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- ^ "Fifth lawyer appointed to Tacoma Mall shooter". thenewstribune.com.com. 2006-10-16. http://dwb.thenewstribune.com/news/updates/story/6168377p-5395811c.html. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- ^ Tacoma Mall shooter to spend 163 years in prison
- ^ "Tacoma Mall Shooter Receives 163-Year Sentence". KIRO7 Eyewitness News. 2007-11-02. http://www.kirotv.com/news/14498720/detail.html. Retrieved 2007-11-02.
- ^ Tacoma Mall shooter gets 163 year sentence
- ^ Pierce County Superior Court Criminal Case 05-1-05774-4
- ^ Champaco, Brent (2011-06-29). "Tacoma Mall Shooter Involved In Attempted Escape At Clallam Bay Prison". Lakewood Patch. http://lakewood.patch.com/articles/tacoma-mall-shooter-involved-in-attempted-escape-at-clallam-bay-prison-3. Retrieved 2011-06-29.
- ^ Washington Department of Corrections
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Tacoma Mall — Infobox shopping mall shopping mall name = Tacoma Mall caption = location = Tacoma, Washington opening date = 1965 developer = manager = Simon Property Group owner = Simon Property Group number of stores = 159 number of anchors = 4 floor area = 1 … Wikipedia
Trolley Square shooting — Infobox civilian attack title=Trolley Square shooting| caption=Candlelight vigil at the Salt Lake City Public Library for victims of the Trolley Square shooting. location= Salt Lake City, Utah, United States target=Trolley Square date=Monday,… … Wikipedia
Beltway sniper attacks — Locations of the 15 sniper attacks numbered chronologically. The Washington sniper attacks took place during three weeks in October 2002 in Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia. Ten people were killed and three others critically injured in… … Wikipedia
Glenn Beck — Beck speaking at the Values Voter Summit in 2011 … Wikipedia
2007 — Year 2007 (MMVII) was a common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar in the 21st century. 2007 was designated as: * International Heliophysical Year. [ [http://ihy2007.org/ International Heliophysical Year website] ] * International… … Wikipedia
Chinatown, San Francisco — Chinatown Neighborhood of San Francisco A Gateway Arch (Dragon Gate) on Grant Avenue at Bush Street in Chinatown, the only authentic China … Wikipedia
Jack Thompson (attorney) — Infobox Person name=Jack Thompson image size=200px caption=Jack Thompson in a debate at California University of Pennsylvania birth name=John Bruce Thompson birth date=Birth date and age|1951|7|25 birth place=Cleveland, Ohio religion=Presbyterian … Wikipedia
Game (rapper) — Game Game performing in April 2011 Background … Wikipedia
Jack Thompson (activist) — Jack Thompson Thompson at a debate at California University of Pennsylvania … Wikipedia
Lee Boyd Malvo — Background information Also known as John Lee Malvo, Malik Malvo Born February 18, 1985 (1985 02 18) (age 26) … Wikipedia