University High School (New Jersey)
University High School of Humanities Location 55 Clinton Place
Newark, NJ 07108
Information Type Public high school School district Newark Public Schools Principal Henry Mcnair (interim) Faculty 36.2 (on FTE basis) Grades 7 - 12 Enrollment 533 (as of 2008-09) Student to teacher ratio 14.7 Athletics conference Super Essex Conference Website School website
The school was the 131st-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 322 schools statewide, in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2010 cover story on the state's "Top Public High Schools", after being ranked 66th in 2008 out of 316 schools. The school was ranked 146th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which included 316 schools across the state.
University High School competes in the Colonial Hills Conference, which is made up of public, parochial, and private high schools covering Essex County, Morris County and Somerset County in north-central North Jersey. The conference operates under the jurisdiction of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). University participates in the Colonial Division.
The girls basketball team won the North II, Group I state sectional championship in 2007 with a 66-50 win over Bloomfield Tech High School. The team moved on to win the Group I State Championship, defeating Palmyra High School 80-55 for the title. The team made it to the 2007 Girls Basketball - Tournament of Champions, defeating Willingboro High School 71-58 in the first round, Trenton Catholic Academy 61-51 in the semis and Trenton Central High School 68-62 in the finals to win the tournament. In 1989 the boys track team led by senior Darrell Davis won the North II, Group 1 state sectional championships. Davis was the 1988 and 1989 Group 1 sectional winner in the 100m and 200m races as well as the All Group 1 100m champion.
University High School prides itself on being a college preparatory institution. Students can pick from three academies; Law, Teaching, or Fields of Humanities to specialize in and complete courses based on their choices, though students are free to specialize in the major of their choice.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Henry Mcnair, Interim Principal
- Faith Evans (born 1973), R&B singer.
- Niobia Bryant, author, also writes urban fiction as Meesha Mink
- Ras Baraka, community activist, politician, lecturer, poet, and son of Amiri Baraka
- The Three Doctors (motivational speakers), a group of African-American motivational speakers, authors, and doctors made up of Dr. Rameck Hunt, Dr. Sampson Davis, and Dr. George Jenkins
- ^ a b c d University High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed March 30, 2011.
- ^ Staff. "2010 Top High Schools", New Jersey Monthly, August 16, 2010. Accessed March 30, 2011.
- ^ "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- ^ 2007 Girls Basketball - North II, Group I, NJSIAA. Accessed July 10, 2007.
- ^ 2007 Girls Basketball - Public Group Semis/Finals, NJSIAA, May 9, 2007.
- ^ 2007 Girls Basketball - Tournament of Champions, NJSIAA. Accessed July 10, 2007.
- ^ Newark Public School Directory 2009-2010, Newark Public Schools. Accessed March 30, 2011.
- ^ Wilson Wesley, Valerie. "Faith's healing - Faith Evans, singer, mother and widow of rapper Notorious B.I.G - Cover Story - Interview", Essence (magazine), December 1997. Accessed July 10, 2007. "While attending University High School in Newark, she sang with the chorus and jazz bands and, encouraged by Helene, entered outside pageants, festivals and contests, where her voice would be noticed and praised."
- University High School website
- Newark Public Schools
- Newark Public Schools's 2009–10 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Newark Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics
Colonial Hills Conference (NJSIAA) Colonial Division Hills Division
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Columbia High School (New Jersey) — Columbia High School Excelsior Locati … Wikipedia
Cherokee High School (New Jersey) — Cherokee High School Address 120 Tomlinson Mill Road Marlton, NJ 08053 2550 Information Type Public high school Established 19 … Wikipedia
Montclair High School (New Jersey) — Montclair High School Children our future, Diversity our strength Location 100 Chestnut Street Montclair, NJ 07042 … Wikipedia
Summit High School (New Jersey) — Infobox School name = Summit High School imagesize = motto = established = 1888 grades = 9 12 district = Summit Public Schools type = Public high school principal = Paul Sears asst principal = Anthony Akey Stacy Grimaldi enrollment = 977 (as of… … Wikipedia
Chatham High School (New Jersey) — Chatham High School Location 255 Lafayette Avenue Chatham Township, NJ 07928 … Wikipedia
Clifton High School (New Jersey) — Clifton High School Location Main: 333 Colfax Avenue Annex: 290 Brighton Road Clifton, NJ 07013 Information Type Public high school School district Clifton Public Schools … Wikipedia
Overbrook High School (New Jersey) — Overbrook High School Location 1200 Turnersville Road Pine Hill, NJ 08021 Information Type Public high school School district Pine Hill Schools Principal … Wikipedia
Kearny High School (New Jersey) — Kearny High School Location 336 Devon Street Kearny, NJ 07032 … Wikipedia
Orange High School (New Jersey) — Orange High School Location 400 Lincoln Avenue Orange, NJ 07050 Information Type Public high school School district Orange Board of Education Principal … Wikipedia
Palmyra High School (New Jersey) — Infobox School name = Palmyra High School imagesize = motto = established = 1895 grades = 9 12 district = Palmyra Public Schools type = Public high school principal = Christine Vespe viceprincipal = Mark Pease enrollment = 600 (as of 2005 06)… … Wikipedia