The Baptism of Jesus Christ - A documentary film (2007)
In 2007, a
documentary filmwas made about the baptism of Jesus, locating the event on the east side of the Jordan river.
synoptic gospels, Jesusis baptised by John the Baptist. This event is the basis of the Christian rite of baptism (see also : "These things took place in Bethany beyond the Jordan, where John was baptizing". This site was visited by Pope John Paul IIin March 2000.
The location appears on the
Map of Madabaas Aenonor Sapsaphas("Place of the Willows").
Filmmakers' description of documentary
The Baptism of Jesus Christ - Uncovering Bethany beyond the Jordan
"A spiritual journey through an archaeological detective story"
"An archaeological-detective story uncovering the pieces of the ancient mystery of where
Christwas baptized. Christians around the world know Bethlehemwhere Jesus was born, and Jerusalemwhere Jesus died and was resurrected, but no one knows the location of his baptism. This being one of the three holiest places of Christianity.
Where was he baptized? Why was the site lost? How was it discovered and what was found there? The remarkable story of how the actual location of Jesus’ baptism had disappeared from human memory, lost in time for almost 1000 years; And the fascinating story of its rediscovery and the ongoing excavations taking place there. Only 5% of the area has been dug until today. Who knows what else lies beneath this place and what it could reveal about Jesus Christ and the birth of Christianity.
The 47 minute documentary is concerned with the recent discovery of the baptism site of Jesus Christ in an area known as ‘Wadi al-Kharrar’ on the east bank of the
river Jordan, the “ Bethany Beyond the Jordan” of the Gospels. A complex of unique churches, baptismal pools and monasteries are amongst the important discoveries uncovered so far. The area, since the 1967 Arab-Israeli war, was a military zone and heavily mined making it impossible of access. However in 1994 after Jordanand Israel signed a peace treaty, archaeologists begun their excavations..." (from the filmmakers: "Ten Thousand Films")
* [http://www.tenthousandfilms.com/Baptism-of-Christ-film.html Official film website: The Baptism of Christ - Uncovering Bethany beyond the Jordan - 53 min Documentary film]
* [http://www.tenthousandfilms.com/ Official website of filmmakers: Ten Thousand Films (10,000 Films)]
* [http://www.baptismsite.com/ Official website of the "Royal Commission for the Baptism site of Jesus Christ", Jordan]
* [http://www.tenthousandfilms.com/Jesus_baptism_site.html "Film details finding of Jesus' baptism site" (Peter Smith, Courier Journal, March 23, 2008)]
* [http://18.104.22.168/www1/ofm/fai/FAIbapt.html 'The sanctuary of Bethany beyond the Jordan where John the Baptist baptised' by Michele Piccirillo]
* [http://www.jordanembassyus.org/03102000002.htm Pope to visit Mt. Nebo, Baptism Site during Jordan trip - Jordan Times]
* [http://www.baptiststandard.com/2000/3_8/pages/site.html 'Archaeological evidence shifting views on site of Jesus' baptism' - The Baptist Standard]
* [http://www.thealabamabaptist.org/ip_template.asp?upid=6855&pf=1 'Site of Jesus’ baptism believed east of Jordan' - The Alabama Baptist]
* [http://bjnewlife.org/english/bstudy/terms_07.php The New Life Mission's explanation of baptism]
* [http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/1556/ UNESCO: The Baptismal Site (Bethany beyond the Jordan)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Criticism of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints — This article is about criticism of the modern LDS church. For criticism of the early years of Mormonism, see Criticism of the Latter Day Saint movement. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints has been the subject of criticism since it… … Wikipedia
Black people and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints — This article is about Blacks and the modern LDS church. For Blacks and the early Mormon movement, see Black people and the Latter Day Saint movement. From 1849 to 1978, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints (LDS Church) had a policy… … Wikipedia
Baptism of Jesus — In the synoptic gospels, Jesus is baptised by John the Baptist. In these accounts, John preaches repentance before the coming judgment, baptism for the forgiveness of sins, and the imminent arrival of one far greater than he. Jesus comes to the… … Wikipedia
Jesus — This article is about Jesus of Nazareth. For other uses, see Jesus (disambiguation). Jesus … Wikipedia
The Kids in the Hall — For the Hip hop duo, see Kidz in the Hall. The Kids in the Hall at the 2008 eTalk Festival Party, during the Toronto International Film Festival (from left: Dave Foley, Mark McKinney … Wikipedia
Cultural depictions of Jesus — Christ Carrying the Cross, by El Greco, 1580. Jesus has inspired artistic and cultural works for nearly two millennia. The following lists cover various media to include items of historic interest, enduring works of high art, and recent… … Wikipedia
John the Baptist — Saint John the Baptist John the Baptist by Bartolomeo Veneto 16th century Prophet, Preacher, Forerunner, Martyr Born c. 5 BC Died 3 … Wikipedia
Mary (mother of Jesus) — Virgin Mary redirects here. For other uses, see Virgin Mary (disambiguation). Saint Mary redirects here. For other uses, see Saint Mary (disambiguation). This article is an overview. For specific views, see: Anglican, Ecumenical, Islamic,… … Wikipedia
Assyrian Church of the East — Assyrian Christian redirects here. For other uses, see Assyrian (disambiguation). Assyrian Church of the East Emblem of the Assyrian Church of the East Founder Traces origins to Saints Thomas, Bartholomew, Thaddeus (Addai) … Wikipedia
Paul the Apostle — [Bauer lexicon; ] (ca 5 67 AD) was, together with Saint Peter and James the Just, [ The Canon Debate, McDonald Sanders editors, 2002, chapter 32, page 577, by James D. G. Dunn: For Peter was probably in fact and effect the bridge man (pontifex… … Wikipedia