IBM Rational Business Developer Extension
name = IBM Rational Business Developer
caption = Rational Business Developer
released = ?
frequently_updated = yes
programming language = ?
operating system =
language = English
website = [http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/developer/business/ RBD Product page]
IBM Rational Business Developer provides a powerful workbench for Enterprise Generation Language (EGL) development, an innovative end-to-end rapid development approach.
Rational Business Developer is an Integrated development environment (IDE) developed by the
IBM Rational Softwaredivision that provides Eclipse based tools for development of cross platform applications and services using the EGL Language.
EGL is a business oriented programming language which can be learned very quickly by programmers of any background and that shields them from the technical interfaces of systems and middleware allowing them to focus on building business functionality. EGL programs or services are written, tested and debugged at the EGL source level, and once they are satisfactorily functionally tested they can be generated into either COBOL or Java code for compilation and deployment to the following target runtime environments:
Microsoft Windows, Linux, Unixrunning JVMor a J2EEapplication server
IBM System z9: CICS, Batch, Unix System Services, Linux, WebSphereApplication Server
IBM System i: i5OS, WebSphere Application Server
Rational Business Developer enables development of browser based applications, business services (deployable as private services or web services), graphical user interface applications, batch applications and reports that access and manipulate data stored and managed in any relational database and file system that runs on the supported target platforms.
Integration with Existing IDEs
Rational Business Developer can install as a standalone product or jointly with any of the following IBM Rational products
* Rational Application Developer
* Rational Software Architect
* Rational Developer for System z
* Rational Developer for System i
This extends the base programming workbench and tools offered by these products with EGL cross platform rapid development tools. These tools include:
* Ability to create, generated and deploy services
* Ability to consume services and web services
* Seamless integration with Java Server Faces visual development tools
* Eclipse-based IDE with powerful editing, code templates, code completion, refactoring, browsing, searching, etc.
* EGL source debugging
* Automated EGL applications and services generation from UML models or data schemas
* Simplified inter-operability with any existing local or remote programs written in any language.
The benefits of using Rational Business Developer include:
* Higher development productivity through the platform-neutral, business-oriented specification and a variety of rapid development tools and wizards
* Simplified Service-oriented architecture (SOA) support: The Enterprise Generation Language (EGL) language includes the notion of Service, and Rational Business Developer delivers the tools for quickly defining, testing and deploying the Service to all supported platforms, including automated Services generation from models.
* Rapid end-to-end Web application development
* Ability to deploy applications and services to a broad variety of platforms, including J2EE application servers as well as traditional mainframe transactional environments such as System z’s CICS or System i’s i5OS
* Ease of learning
* Legacy extension and modernization: EGL built-in interoperability with COBOL, RPG, PL/I or any other existing program enables reuse of existing investments into new Services or Web systems without the need for special adapters.
* Flexibility and responsiveness: The platform-neutral development approach eliminates skills silos, creating a unified pool of business-oriented developers that can be freely shifted across projects according to business demands.
* [http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdtools/developer/business/?S_TACT=105AGY59&S_CMP=12&ca=dtl-1203 Product page for Rational Business Developer ]
* [http://www-949.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/index.jspa EGL Cafe ]
* [http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/products/rbde/?S_TACT=105AGY59&S_CMP=12&ca=dtl-1203 IBM developerWorks page for Rational Business Developer ]
* [http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/index.wss?DocURL=http://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/2/897/ENUS208-062/index.html&InfoType=AN&InfoSubType=CA&InfoDesc=Announcement+Letters&panelurl=index.wss%3F&paneltext=Announcement%20letter%20search Announcement Letter for Rational Business Developer]
* [http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/downloads/r/rbex/?S_TACT=105AGX15&S_CMP=DLMAIN Trial code]
* [http://www-304.ibm.com/jct03001c/services/learning/ites.wss/us/en?pageType=page&c=a0000337&S_CMP=rnav IBM Training and Certification for Rational Business Developer]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
IBM Rational Software Architect — Infobox Software name = IBM Rational Software Architect caption = Rational Software Architect with Design Model Diagram developer = IBM released = ? frequently updated = yes programming language = ? operating system = language = ? genre =… … Wikipedia
IBM Rational Software Modeler — Infobox Software name = IBM Rational Software Modeler caption = Rational Software Modeler with Design Model Diagram developer = IBM released = ? frequently updated = yes programming language = ? operating system = Microsoft Windows, Linux… … Wikipedia
IBM System i — The IBM System i is IBM s previous generation of systems designed for IBM i users, and was subsequently replaced by the IBM Power Systems in April 2008. In 2006, the platform was rebranded to System i as part of IBM s Systems branding initiative … Wikipedia
IBM WebSphere — Headline text WebSphere refers to a brand of IBM software products that are mostly proprietary [e.g. WebSphere Application Server Community Edition is not proprietary] , although the term also popularly refers to one specific product: WebSphere… … Wikipedia
Rational Synergy — is a software tool that provides software configuration management (SCM) capabilities for all artifacts related to software development including source code, documents and images as well as the final built software executables and libraries.… … Wikipedia
IBM Lotus Notes — Lotus Notes IBM Lotus Notes 8 default home screen Developer(s) IBM … Wikipedia
List of rapid application development tools — Cross Platform Rapid Application Development Tools = * Boa constructor is a cross platform, wxPython based Python RAD IDE. * is a cross platform C/C++ RAD IDE using wxWidgets; the latest developmental builds have a built in form designer wxSmith … Wikipedia
EGL Programming Language — EGL (Enterprise Generation Language) is a high level modern business oriented programming language, designed by IBM to be platform independent. EGL is similar in syntax to other common languages so it can be learned by application developers with … Wikipedia
List of computing and IT abbreviations — This is a list of computing and IT acronyms and abbreviations. Contents: 0–9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y … Wikipedia
Avaya — Inc. Type Private Industry Telecommunications Founded 2000 Headquarters … Wikipedia