Smalley's Inn & Restaurant
The old Smalley’s Inn was originally built in 1883 by Colonel Thomas Taylor and was located across the street from the current location. In 1924, the
innand much of Carmel burned to the ground. A new Smalley's Hotel was built. The hotelwas located where the Palmer Agency, Smith Barneyand the Smalley's Inn Restaurant are located now. The Putnam County National Bank was also located in Smalley's Hotel in 1896.
The old hotel was later divided and sold to private business owners. Millie Conigllio bought Smalley's Inn & Restaurant in the early 1950s. As a new resident to the area, she decided to keep the name. The business was later taken up by her son, Anthony F. Porto Sr., who remains as the current owner, along with his son, Anthony M. Porto Jr. Recently the Inn was renovated. A family restaurant currently lies to the left of the old fashioned bar. Smalley's Inn & Restaurant is an Italian-American restaurant located on NYS Route 52 in Carmel, New York.
News & Events
A growing interest in the apparent haunting of Smalley's Inn has evolved. Owners and employees have noted peculiar sightings and events for years. Approximately fifteen years ago, Anthony Porto Jr. found the tombstone of a little girl buried under a set of basement steps in the restaurant. After this occurrence, these peculiar events intensified. Frequent ghostly sightings of a little girl prompted owners at the Inn to contact paranormal investigators. It was clarified that the ghost in Smalley's Inn was in fact Elizabeth Smalley, daughter of original owner James Smalley, who had been killed as a toddler.
SMALLEY'S INN on Route 52 in Carmel has all the ingredients for a haunting. The inn was built around the mid-1800s, though evidence shows it may have been around a lot longer. The site had a series of tragic events, including a deadly fire and an execution. Owner James J. Smalley was at various times the sheriff, coroner and treasurer of the town. His daughter, Elizabeth, was only a toddler when she died, and there's the belief that a portion of the basement was used as a morgue when Smalley was the coroner. [http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071019/ENTERTAIN/710190316/-1/ENTERTAIN08]
Witnesses have had their clothing tugged on, have seen ghostly figures of a man, woman and child, and, on one occasion, every cell and house phone went off at the exact same time, with each call originating from a phone within the building. Tony's dad, Anthony, who owns the inn, has had experiences in the upstairs apartment, and the inn's staff members have their own stories of happenings in the kitchen and basement liquor closet and meat locker.
Radio Station K104 visits the restaurant yearly around Halloween with paranormal investigators for entertainment.
"Hauntings of the Hudson River Valley, An Investigative Journey", by Vincent T. Dacqunio [http://www.pcnr.com/news/2007/1024/Cultural_Events/019.html] and "Postcard History Series- Carmel", by George Carroll Wipple III are books entailing detailed references of the history behind the current paranormal events documented at Smalley's Inn & Restaurant.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.