National Museums of Scotland
Coordinates: National Museums Scotland is the organization that runs several national museums of Scotland, but not the National Galleries of Scotland, which contain the main collections of painting, sculpture and the graphic arts. It is one of the country's National Collections.
List of national museums
- The National Museum of Scotland, comprising two linked museums on Chambers Street, in the Old Town of Edinburgh:
- The National Museum of Costume, at Shambellie House, New Abbey, Dumfries and Galloway
- The National Museum of Flight, at East Fortune, East Lothian
- The National Museum of Rural Life, at Wester Kittochside farm, in South Lanarkshire (previously the Museum of Scottish Country Life, previously the Scottish Agricultural Museum)
- The National War Museum, at Edinburgh Castle
The main storage building at the National Museums Collection Centre, at Granton in Edinburgh, opened in 1996. It is not currently open to the public because a new reception and conservation building is under construction. A new storage building is planned to house the textile and costume collections in one location. This will include the recently acquired Jean Muir Collection of 20th century costume and accessories.
National Museums Scotland is Scotland's national museum service, governed by a board of trustees. It is a non-departmental public body, funded by the Education and Lifelong Learning Directorate of the Scottish Government.
It cares for many of Scotland's museum collections of national and international importance (listed above), and provides advice and expertise to other museums across the country.
Notable items in the national collections
The official website lists the following exhibits as being the highlights of its collections:
- Dolly the sheep
- Concorde G-BOAA (Alpha Alpha)
- Tea Service of the Emperor Napoleon
- Assyrian relief of King Ashurnasirpal II and a court official, from the North-West Palace of Ashurnasirpal at Nimrud, excavated by Austen Henry Layard in the 1840s; the medical pioneer James Young Simpson gave the panel to the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, who passed it into the national collection
- Seringapatam sword, presented to David Baird by his field officers after the Battle of Seringapatam, in May 1799
- Silver travelling canteen of Prince Charles Edward Stuart
- Boulton & Watt engine
- Bute mazer (also referred to as the Bannatyne mazer)
- Calcite crystal, found in 1927 at the New Glencrieff mine at Wanlockhead on the Leadhills ore field, "an excellent example of a complex doubly terminated scalenohedral crystal" (see Dogtooth spar)
- Hunterston brooch
- Lewis chessmen
- Monymusk reliquary
- Queen Mary harp
- Qurneh burial collection, discovered by Flinders Petrie on 30 December 1908, the only complete ancient royal Egyptian burial collection held outside Egypt
- ^ "Our collections - Highlights". National Museums Scotland. http://www.nms.ac.uk/our_collections/highlights.aspx. Retrieved 2009-10-01.
Executive non-departmental public bodies of the Scottish Government
• Accounts Commission for Scotland • Bòrd na Gàidhlig • Cairngorms National Park Authority • Creative Scotland • Crofters Commission • Deer Commission for Scotland • Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary for Scotland • Highlands & Islands Enterprise • Inspectorate of Prosecution in Scotland • Learning & Teaching Scotland • The Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park Authority • National Galleries of Scotland • National Library of Scotland • National Museums of Scotland • Parole Board for Scotland • Police Complaints Commissioner for Scotland • Quality Meat Scotland • Risk Management Authority • Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh • Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland • Scottish Agricultural Wages Board • Scottish Children's Reporter Administration • Scottish Commission for the Regulation of Care • Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission • Scottish Enterprise • Scottish Environment Protection Agency • Scottish Funding Council • Scottish Hospital Endowments Research Trust • Scottish Legal Aid Board • Scottish Legal Complaints Commission • Scottish Natural Heritage • Scottish Police Services Authority • Scottish Qualifications Authority • Scottish Social Services Council • sportscotland • Skills Development for Scotland • VisitScotland • Water Industry Commissioner for Scotland
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
National Museums of Scotland — Im Vordergrund das Royal Museum, im Hintergrund das direkt angebaute Museum of Scotland Die National Museums of Scotland sind der 1998 gebildete Zusammenschluss aus dem Royal Museum und dem Museum of Scotland. Beide Teile des Museums liegen… … Deutsch Wikipedia
National Library of Scotland — The building on George IV Bridge … Wikipedia
National Museum of Scotland — For other museums called the Royal Museum, see Royal Museum (disambiguation). National Museum of Scotland Exterior view of the Museum of Scotland building General information Architectural style … Wikipedia
National Galleries of Scotland — The National Galleries of Scotland (Scottish Gaelic: Gailearaidhean Nàiseanta na h Alba) are the five national galleries of Scotland and two partner galleries. It is one of the country s National Collections. List of national galleries The… … Wikipedia
National Gallery of Scotland — The National Gallery of Scotland viewed from the south in front of the Royal Scottish Academy and Princes Street … Wikipedia
National Museum of Scotland — Im Vordergrund das Royal Museum, im Hintergrund das direkt angebaute Museum of Scotland Das National Museum of Scotland ist der 1998 gebildete Zusammenschluss aus dem Royal Museum und dem Museum of Scotland. Beide Teile des Museums liegen direkt… … Deutsch Wikipedia
National Collections of Scotland — The four National Collections of Scotland are overseen and funded by the Scottish Government. They are responsible for collecting and publicly exhibiting items and archives of national and international importance. The National Collections… … Wikipedia
National Museums of the United Kingdom — There are a number of National Museums in the United Kingdom, which are owned and operated by the state. The national museums of the UK are funded by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) of the United Kingdom government, and are all … Wikipedia
Museums Galleries Scotland — Museums Galleries Scotland, until 2008 the Scottish Museums Council, is a membership organisation offering support to museums and galleries throughout Scotland. It has over 350 member organisations, ranging from small local museums to larger… … Wikipedia
List of museums in Scotland — This list of museums in Scotland contains museums which are defined for this context as institutions (including nonprofit organizations, government entities, and private businesses) that collect and care for objects of cultural, artistic,… … Wikipedia