The Society for the Promotion of Indian Classical Music And Culture Amongst Youth, often known by its initials (SPICMACAY), is a
non-profit organizationwhich promotes classical Indian music, dance, and culture. The parents organization is based in India, with chapters in over 200 towns and cities in India. [ [http://www.asu.edu/clubs/spicmacay/origin.html Origin] Arizona state University.] SPIC MACAY USA was formed in 1989 [ [http://iacl.ece.jhu.edu/~gupta/spicmacay/guidelines.txt Guidelines] John Hopkins.] and now it is present in the U.S., Canada and Germany [ [https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ro/www/SocietyforthePromotionofIndianClassicalMusicandCultureAmongstYouth/links.html Links to US sites] ] .
SPIC MACAY was established by Dr. Kiran Seth in 1977 at
IIT Delhi. [ [http://www.karna.org/body_scholarship_board.html#kiran Dr. Kiran Seth Profile] www.karna.org.] [ [http://stuact.tamu.edu/stuorgs/spicmacay/newer/index.htm About us] Texas A&M University Chapter.] It seeks to foster the exchange of traditional Indian values and to generate awareness of the cultural traditions and heritage of India. In order to achieve its goals, SPICMACAY organizes concerts, lectures, demonstrations, informal discussions, and seminars. These are hosted by local chapters of the organization.
Dr. Kiran Seth, a young graduate from
IIT Kharagpur, was studying for his doctorate at the Columbia University, New York, when he chanced to attend a Dhrupad concert by Ustad Nasir Aminuddin Dagar and Ustad Zia Fariddudin Dagarat the Brooklyn Academy of Music, New York[http://www.spicmacay.com/about.as About us] Official website.] .
On his return to India in 1976, he started teaching and doing research work at
IIT Delhi, where he got together with students and started SPIC MACAY in 1977 [http://www.musicalnirvana.com/introduction/post_independence6.html#SPICMACAY Intro] www.musicalnirvana.com.] , and its first concert was held at IIT Delhiin the same year .
The first Lecture-Demonstration series was held in 1979, with six artistes, including
Sonal Mansingh, Birju Maharaj, Asad Ali Khan, the Dagar brothersand Munawar Ali Khanwho performed in a few colleges in Delhi.
Today, SPIC MACAY has some 200 chapters across the world and holds over 1,500 events annually, mostly in educational institutions, but occasionally in "public" venues like town halls or community parks.
Some of its major activities include: FEST series, VIRASAT series, National Conventions for students and teachers, heritage walks, talks by eminent thinkers, yoga and meditation camps, theatre, screening of classic cinema etc [http://www.spicmacaycoer.co.nr/] . Lately it has also started getting international artistes from other equally rich cultures to perform in India.
The state of Rajasthan has as many as 15 functioning chapters in towns as modest as
Churu, Jaloreand Nathdwara[ [http://www.spicmacay.com/chapter.as Chapters] www.spicmacay.com.] It even operates in the smallest of towns on the border of India and Pakistan in Kashmir. SPIC MACAY primarily works by the efforts of its volunteers, and the concerts are open to all, and free.
Gujarat riotsof 2002 motivated SPIC MACAY to start community outreach programmes.Fact|date=January 2008
PIC MACAY Chapters in educational institutions
* [http://www.iit.edu/~music/ IIT Delhi]
* [http://www.iitk.ac.in/dosa/spic/ IIT Kanpur]
* [http://www.iitb.ac.in/archive/spicmacay/index.htm IIT Bombay]
* [http://www.iitr.ernet.in/campus_life/web/spicmacay/home.htm IIT Roorkee]
* [http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/ia/internat/services/spicmacay/spicmacay.htm University of Stuttgart]
* [http://www.uiuc.edu/ro/spicmacay University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign]
* [http://www.stanford.edu/group/spicmacay/index.htm Stanford U.]
* [http://iacl.ece.jhu.edu/~gupta/spicmacay/ Johns Hopkins U., MD.]
* [http://www.spicmacay.ucdavis.edu/ UC Davis]
* [http://www.studentgroups.ucla.edu/spicmacay/ UCLA]
* [http://www.asu.edu/studentprgms/orgs/spicmacay/ Arizona State U., AZ.]
* [http://www.rso.cornell.edu/spicmacay/ Cornell U.]
* [http://icsl.ee.washington.edu/macay.html University of Washington, WA.]
* [http://http//stuact.tamu.edu/stuorgs/spicmacay/newer/index.htm Texas A&M U.]
* [http://www.ou.edu/student/spicmacy/ University of Oklahoma]
* [http://www.student.virginia.edu/~spic-mac/home.htm University of Virginia]
* [http://www.osu.edu/students/spicmacay/ Ohio State U., OH.]
* [http://www.ualberta.ca/~spicm/main.html Alberta]
* [http://www.spicmacay.com/ Official website for SPICMACAY in India]
* [http://www.ualberta.ca/~spicm/na-chapters.html SPICMACAY Chapters in North America]
* [http://www.uni-stuttgart.de/ia/internat/services/spicmacay/spicmacay.htm SPICMACAY Germany]
* [http://www.pagalguy.com/index.php?categoryid=85&p2_articleid=1168 History of SPIC MACAY]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Modern School (New Delhi) — The Modern School New Delhi Naimatma Balheenien Labhya Perfection cannot be achieved by the weak Location Barakhamba Road … Wikipedia
Engineering college kota — Infobox University name = University College of Engineering motto = Shramev Jayte (Hardwork wins) established = 1981 type = Rajasthan Technical University director = city = Kota state = Rajasthan country = India campus campus = Urban,spread… … Wikipedia
Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee — Infobox University name = Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee motto = Shramam Vina Na Kimapi Saadhyam mottoeng = No Achievement Is Possible Without Hard Work established = 1847 Director = S.C.Saxena type = Public city = Roorkee state =… … Wikipedia
Parthiv Gohil — Infobox revolution biography name=Parthiv Gohil Birth=18 February 1976 caption=Parthiv Gohil placeofbirth=Bhavnagar, Gujarat, IndiaParthiv Gohil, A name synonymous with versatile singing. Undoubtedly his so called break came about with the Sanjay … Wikipedia
Asad Ali Khan — performs in 2009 Background information Born 1937 Alwar, Indian Empire Died … Wikipedia
Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur — Motto तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय (tamaso mā jyotirgamaya) (Sanskrit) Motto in English Lead me from darkness to light Established … Wikipedia
Dhrupad — Hindustani Classical Music Concepts Shruti · Swara · Alankar · Raga Tala · Gharana · Thaat Instruments Indian musical instruments … Wikipedia
Indian classical music — Indian Music Indian classical music Carnatic music Hindustani music Core Concepts Shruti · Swara · Alankar · Rāga · Tāla The origins of Indian classical music can be found in t … Wikipedia
Culture of India — பரதநாட்டியம், one of eight designated classical dance forms of India India s languages, religions, dance, music, architecture, food and customs differ from place to place within the country, but nevertheless possess a commonality. India is the… … Wikipedia
Hindustani classical music — Concepts Sruti • Swara • Alankar • Raga • Tala • Thaat • Gharana Instruments melody: Vocals • Sitar • Sarod • Bansuri • Sarangi • … Wikipedia