Singapore Airlines' in-flight entertainment(IFE) system. It is an advanced system that is available in all classes of service on all aircraft of SIA. It currently has three versions operational and was introduced in 1995.
During 1993 and 1994,
SIAwas looking for a new IFE system that it could offer to its passengers. During this time, only two major airlines had a full-fledged IFE system for all passengers and classes - Emirates and Virgin Atlantic. However, Singapore Airlines wanted a more advanced, less costly system with more than 10 channels of video programming. They were looking for a system that worked on a digital-network platform, passed Federal Aviation Administrationtests and was central for programming updates and upgrades in future. This IFE system was made by Panasonic Avionics Corporation(previously incorporated as Matsushita Avionics Systems).
After being impressed with the quality and offerings, they signed a deal to retrofit their Megatop
Boeing 747-400aircraft with the system. This retrofit began in 1995 and was completed by 1996-1997. The Celestar Airbus A340-300and Jubilee Boeing 777aircraft, when delivered, had KrisWorld pre-installed into every seat. SIA installed KrisWorld into every seat for every new aircraft delivered thereafter.
By 2000, the
Boeing 747-400Megatop, Celestar A340-300and Jubilee Boeing 777were the only aircraft to have the system for all classes. The other aircraft - Boeing 747-300, and Airbus A310did not have this system; however, these aircraft were later retired or leased to other airlines. That same year, SIA introduced Wisemen 3000 into the First and Raffles classes to coincide with the introduction of the First SkySuites and Raffles Class Ultimo seats.
The original KrisWorld, introduced in 1995, was available to all three classes of service. It featured:
* KrisVision - which included 14 movies, 36 television favourites and five cartoons.
* KrisSound - with 12 stereo audio channels.
* KrisGames - provided by Nintendo
* Fax and KrisFone - fax was available in certain sections, KrisFone was offered in every seat.
* KrisWorld double-sided handset - one side audio and video controls, and the other - the KrisFone.
The original KrisWorld has since been updated to Wisemen 3000 for first- and business-class passengers or enhanced Krisworld for all classes.
KrisWorld with Wisemen 3000
With the introduction of the new First Class Sky Suites and the Ultimo Seats in Raffles Class, SIA decided to upgrade the IFE entertainment experience for those classes, by installing Wisemen 3000.
Wisemen 3000was the Matsushita Avionics Systems3000i IFE system that supported Audio/Video on Demand (AVOD). Because of this, new features include:
* Increase of programs - estimated 30 movies, 20 television favourites and 10 cartoons
* Audio and Video on Demand
* 14-inch screen in First Class
Economy Class still had the old version with cycle programming.
KrisWorld with Wisemen 3000 is available on:
* Boeing 777-200 aircraft (9V-SRA to I - 2 classes; 9V-SQA to H - 3 classes)
* Boeing 777-300 aircraft (9V-SYA to E)
In 2002, Singapore Airlines slowly began introducing the enhanced version of KrisWorld. This included increasing the amount of programming and offering AVOD to economy-class passengers. Features included:
* Increase of programmes - estimated 50 movies, 30 TV favourites and 20 cartoons.
* In 2004, SIA increased again the programming to over 60 movies, 100 TV favourites and 30 cartoons.
* 225 Music Albums
* Bigger screens in Raffles Class (SpaceBed).
* More games - 20-30 PC,
Nintendo, with multi-player capability.
AVODin all classes
Berlitz World Traveller- learn a language
Enhanced KrisWorld is available on:
* All Boeing 747-400 aircraft
* Selected Boeing 777-200/300 aircraft (9V-SRJ to Q - 2 classes; 9V-SQI to N - 3 classes; 9V-SYF to L; all 9V-SV*s
In 2007, SIA unveiled [New Krisworld; [http://au.sys-con.com/read/443193.htm "Innovation Marks the Unveiling of the World's First A380 Interior"] ] the new KrisWorld based on
Red Hat Enterprise Linux[linuxworld.com [http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/082207-worldbeat-singapore-airlines-puts-a.html "Singapore Airlines puts a Linux PC in every seat"] ] . This featured a new interface, more programming, Audio/Video on Demand as standard. On top of the new features available, first-class passengers get a 23-inch LCD PTV; 15-inch PTV in Business Class and a 10.6 inch PTV in Economy Class - all widescreen. Features include:
* 100 Movies.
* 180 Popular Television Programmes.
* 700 Music CDs.
* 3D Games -
Singapore Airlinesis the first airline in the world to offer this.
* Berlitz World Traveller - learn a language
USBflash drive plug in and Ethernet.
LEDflash light under the PTV in Economy Class for non-intrusive light.
* New Interface coded by James Titcumb from [http://www.airborneinteractive.com/ Airborne Interactive] [cite web |title=James Titcumb's Blog |url=http://www.asgrim.com/ |accessdate=2008-06-04] .
* Office software in every seat (
StarOffice). [cite web |author=robs.au |title=Airbus A380 StarOffice |work=Aircraft Photos (Set) |publisher= Flickr|date=2008-03-18 |url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/robs-au/2342477319/ |accessdate=2008-03-30]
* New Panasonic eX2 handset with digital channel-number designation (Economy).
* New Panasonic ex2 handset with colour interface (First and Business).
* Double-sided handset (audio and video controls on one side and keyboard on the other).
New KrisWorld is available on:
* All Boeing 777-300ER aircraft
* All Airbus A380 aircraft
* All Airbus A340-500 aircraft
Future of KrisWorld
Singapore Airlines is rumoured to be introducing a brand-new KrisWorld on all aircraft once the
Airbus A330-300arrives. Since the A340-500 aircraft are being retrofitted and the A330 aircraft will feature new interiors, Singapore Airlines has been rumoured to be looking at a new standard short-haul business and economy class with new KrisWorld to bring all aircraft into line.
This also saves money and time on servicing and updating.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Singapore Airlines — Infobox Airline airline = Singapore Airlines logo size = 300 fleet size = 102 (+73 orders, 59 options) destinations = 66 IATA = SQ ICAO = SIA callsign = SINGAPORE company slogan = A Great Way To Fly founded = 1947 (as Malayan Airways)… … Wikipedia
CNBC Asia — Infobox TV channel name = CNBC Asia logofile = CNBC Asia logo 2006.jpg logosize = 300px logoalt = launch = June 20, 1995 closed date = share = share as of = share source = owner = NBC Universal slogan = First in Business Worldwide (Since… … Wikipedia
Tiger Airways — IATA TR ICAO TGW Callsign GO CAT … Wikipedia
Malaysia-Singapore Airlines — IATA ML ICAO MSA Callsign MALA … Wikipedia
Singapore Airlines Flight 006 — 9V SPK at Frankfurt Airport in April 1999 Occurrence summary Date … Wikipedia
Chew Choon Seng — Occupation Chairman, Singapore Exchange Chairman, Singapore Tourism Board Chew Choon Seng (Chinese: 周俊成; pinyin: Zhōu Jùnchéng) is the former … Wikipedia
Cheong Choong Kong — Dr. Cheong Choong Kong Born June 9, 1941 (1941 06 09) (age 70) Malaysia Occupation Chairman, OCBC Dr. Cheong Choong Kong (born 9 June 1941) is the Malaysian born former Chief Executive Officer of Singapore Airlines. After the colli … Wikipedia
In-flight entertainment — (IFE) refers to the entertainment available to aircraft passengers during a flight. After World War II IFE was delivered in the form of food and drink services, along with an occasional projector movie during lengthy flights. In 1985 the first… … Wikipedia
Tiger Airways Australia — IATA TT ICAO TGW Callsign GO CAT … Wikipedia
Singapore Airlines — Singapore Airlines … Deutsch Wikipedia