Banana bread (also called Banana nut bread) is a type of
breadthat contains mashed yellow bananas. Banana bread is usually a quick bread, a sweet, cakelike-bread which typically uses baking soda as the leaveningagent instead of yeast; however there are some banana bread recipes that are traditional style yeast breads. [ [http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Nut-Yeast-Bread/Detail.aspx Raised yeast Banana bread recipe] on allrecipes.com]
Vegan variants of banana bread typically use egg substitutes such as soy
yogurt, tofuor, more simply, additional banana. In some recipes for banana bread, egg is the only non-vegan ingredient, making the creation of vegan banana bread fairly straightforward.
Banana bread first became a standard feature of American
cookbooks with the popularization of baking soda and baking powderin the 1930s (and appears in Pillsbury's 1933 "Balanced Recipes" cookbook). The origin of the first banana bread recipe is unknown. The home baking revival of the 1960s and the simplicity of its recipe led to an explosion in banana bread's popularity. The cookbooks of the 1960s added to its popularity because they commonly listed multiple variations of bread that added fruits and nuts.Fact|date=March 2008
* 1 cup white flour
* 1/2 cup wheat flour
* 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
* 1/4 tsp. baking soda
* 1/4 tsp.
* 1/8 tsp. salt
* 1 egg
* 1 cup mashed
* 2/3 cup sugar
* 1/4 cup canola oil
* 1 tsp. lemon zest (optional)
* 1/2 cup chopped
pecans(optional) [ [http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/banana-bread-230 Banana Bread Recipe] on CookEatShare.com]
* Grease a bread loaf pan and set aside. In a medium mixing bowl combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and make a well in the center.
* In a separate bowl combine the egg, bananas, sugar, oil and lemon zest.
* Add egg mixture all at once to dry mixture. Stir just till moist. Fold in nuts, if desired.
* Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 50 to 55 minutes (or convection bake at 330 for 40 minutes). Bread is done when a knife or toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
* Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
* Optional: You can also sprinkle brown sugar and/or chopped pecans on top of the bread before cooking, for added tastiness.
* "Banana nut bread" - chopped nuts, often
walnutsor pecans, are added to the recipe.
* "Chocolate chip banana bread" -
chocolate chips are added to the recipe.
* Other variations: try adding raisins, or substituting nutmeg for cinnamon
Bánh chuối, a banana cake from Vietnam.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
banana bread — noun moist bread containing banana pulp • Hypernyms: ↑quick bread … Useful english dictionary
banana bread — noun A type of bread made with mashed bananas … Wiktionary
Banana pudding — is a dessert common in the Southern United States, generally consisting of repeated layers of sweet custard, cookies (usually Vanilla Wafers) and sliced bananas placed in a dish, baked and served, sometimes with whipped cream or meringue on top.… … Wikipedia
Banana — For other uses, see Banana (disambiguation). Banana … Wikipedia
Banana production in the Caribbean — The Banana industry in the Caribbean is widely spread to each island. Bananas are cultivated by both small farmers and large land holders. The plant is perennial and is planted either in pure stands or in mixed cultivation as it is in Jamaica.… … Wikipedia
Bread — For other uses, see Bread (disambiguation). Various leavened breads … Wikipedia
Banana boat — For the song by Harry Belafonte, see the Banana Boat Song. : A banana boat is also a long dish used for serving a banana split. Unpowered boatA banana boat, often referred to simply as a banana, is an unpowered recreational boat designed to be… … Wikipedia
bread — noun ADJECTIVE ▪ fresh ▪ hard, mouldy/moldy, soggy, stale ▪ This bread is going stale. ▪ crusty … Collocations dictionary
Banana sauce — This article is about the dessert sauce; for the Asian condiment, see Banana ketchup. Banana sauce is a sweet mixture used as a topping for ice cream and baked sweets such as bread pudding and cakes. It is typically served warm and made with… … Wikipedia
banana — noun ADJECTIVE ▪ ripe ▪ overripe ▪ green ▪ mashed … OF BANANAS ▪ bunch … Collocations dictionary