Val Verde Unified School District
The Val Verde Unified School District is one of two public education governing bodies in
Moreno Valley, Californiawhich stretches into Perris, California. It currently operates 23 schools and is the neighbor to its larger counterpart, the Moreno Valley Unified School District.
In 2007, Val Verde Unified School District was brought under question by the State of California for the misuse of state funds and failure to report independent funding.
* [http://www.valverde.edu/Schools/PSchools.htm Glen View Preschool]
* [http://val.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/school.php?sectionid=762 Avalon Elementary]
* [http://val.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/school.php?sectionid=691 Columbia Elementary]
* [http://val.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/school.php?sectionid=19 El Potrero Elementary]
* [http://val.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/school.php?sectionid=766 Laselle Elementary]
* [http://val.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/school.php?sectionid=22 Manuel L. Real Elementary]
* [http://val.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/school.php?sectionid=23 Mary McLeod Bethune Elementary]
* [http://val.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/school.php?sectionid=24 Mead Valley Elementary]
* [http://val.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/school.php?sectionid=25 Rainbow Ridge Elementary]
* [http://val.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/school.php?sectionid=33 Red Maple Elementary]
* [http://val.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/school.php?sectionid=27 Sierra Vista Elementary]
* [http://val.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/school.php?sectionid=765 Triple Crown Elementary]
* [http://val.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/school.php?sectionid=30 Val Verde Elementary]
* [http://val.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/school.php?sectionid=31 Victoriano Elementary]
* [http://val.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/school.php?sectionid=764 March Middle School]
* [http://val.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/school.php?sectionid=21 Lakeside Middle School]
* [http://www.valverde.edu/Schools/studentsuccess.htm Student Success Academy]
* [http://val.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/school.php?sectionid=28 Tomas Rivera Middle School]
* [http://val.ca.schoolwebpages.com/education/school/school.php?sectionid=32 Vista Verde Middle School]
* [http://www.valverde.edu/chhs/ Citrus Hill High School]
* [http://www.valverde.edu/Schools/RanchoVerde Rancho Verde High School]
* [http://www.valverde.edu/Schools/studentsuccess.htm Student Success Academy]
* [http://www.valverde.edu/Schools/ Val Verde High School]
*Dr. C. Fred Workman - Superintendent
*Marla Kirkland - Vice President
*Stacey Guzman - President
*Wraymond Sawyerr - Member
*JoAnn McAnlis - Clerk
*Shelly Yarbrough - Member
Val Verde Unified GATE Advisory Members
*Victoria Grehn, Site Facilitator
*Michelle Salmon, Parent
*Renonah McGee, Parent
*Sarah Peterson, Site Facilitator
*Wendy Pospichal, Principal
*Davina Schoulten, Site Facilitator
*Sandra Wilkerson, Parent
*Valerie Solorio, Parent
*Bill Thompson, District Coordinator
VVUSD claimed that they used $53 million for construction and equipment. The large amounts of money spent on these amenities could lead them to possible bankruptcy. [http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_D_valverde24.3ed4eee.html] Citrus Hill High School, the newest and most bustling high school, has been on the receiving end for many of said amenities, such as a football field with artificial turf.
Legal Battle vs. The State of California
An investigation on VVUSD school funding began when audits performed by the Office of Public School Construction (OPSC) found inconsistentcies in financial aid papers filed by Val Verde administrators. A top official at the state’s Office of Public School Construction said her office was looking into whether there were any "material inaccuracies" or false certifications in the paperwork the Perris-area district submitted in recent years to get financial aid to build its schools. [http://capoliticalnews.com/s/spip.php?breve2451]
Further investigations by OPSC found that VVUSD had recklessly spent state funds on the purchasing of unneeded amenities, such as: large weight rooms, artificial turf, locker room whirlpools, helicopter pads, and elaborate sports arenas.
The Val Verde Unified School District has been a financial hardship district since the beginning of the School Facilities Program. In the last review of their financial hardship status renewal, OPSC indicated that the district had approximately $90 million available in COPs to contribute towards their next projects.
The District filed an appeal to the SAB, arguing that the funds were not available because the grants were inadequate and they were forced to pass COPs to complete and improve previously approved financial hardship projects [http://www.cccoe.k12.ca.us/supe/leg_updates/2007/SABreport_7_25_07.pdf] . On July 25, 2007, the State Allocation Board ruled against Val Verde Unified with a vote of 9-0. The board further ruled that VVUSD must repay the State for past-funding and that they'll no longer be able to self-certify their projects.
Further Appeals against The State of California
Val Verde Unified School District stumbled in its lawsuit against state officials over school construction funding, when a Riverside County judge rejected the district's request for a court order against the state on February 29, 2008. Spencer Covert, an attorney for the district argued that school construction money, given by the state to districts in financial hardship, isn't enough to build complete schools, and that districts such as Val Verde shouldn't be punished for borrowing money to cover shortfalls in state funds [http://www.pe.com/localnews/riversidearea/schools/stories/PE_News_Local_S_valverde01.42e4558.html] .
But Covert failed to sway County Judge Edward D. Webster. The judge tore into the district's claim that state agencies that disbursed the $340 million had discriminated against Val Verde by depriving its students of enough money to house them in adequate schools.
"I saw absolutely nothing in your material to suggest that the Val Verde school district was treated any differently than any other school district," Webster said. "... As I went through this I'm saying to myself, 'We're wasting attorney fee monies that could be spent on educating the kids here,' and I thought to myself, this is ridiculous."
As a hardship district, Val Verde has received $340 million in state school construction money since 1999 -- the second biggest infusion of state cash among all California school districts. It was supposed to cover 100 percent of construction costs but wasn't enough, the district argued.
The fact that Val Verde got a third of a billion dollars from the state to build or upgrade campuses was not lost on Webster, who remarked that this was not "ungenerous."
*Victoriano Elementary has been acclaimed as one of the best schools in the country, having been awarded the 2006 Distinguished School Award and the 2006 President's Award.
*The most recent high school, Citrus Hill High School, has hosted the Superintendent's Recognition Award Ceremonies since 2006.
*Rancho Verde High School's Crimson & Black Chamber Singers, under the direction of Kelli Dower, have been invited to sing at New York's historic Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center in 2009.
*Avalon Elementary School, under principal Dr. Marilyn Lezine, was named a California Distinguished School in 2008
List of school districts in Riverside County, California
* [http://www.valverde.edu/index.htm Val Verde Unified School District webpage]
* [http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.valverde.edu%2Fkml%2Fvvusd.kml&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1 Google Map of the Val Verde Unified School District School Boundaries and Locations]
* [http://capoliticalnews.com/s/spip.php?breve2451 Corruption at Another School District]
* [http://www.pe.com/localnews/riversidearea/schools/stories/PE_News_Local_S_valverde01.42e4558.html Court rules against Val Verde schools]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Val Verde High School — is a continuation high school for troubled teens located in Perris, California, USA. Most of its students come from the neighboring Rancho Verde High School because of lack of credits, disciplinary problems, or teenage pregnancy. It is part of… … Wikipedia
Val Verde — may mean: *Val Verde, California *Val Verde, Texas *Val Verde Park, Texas *Val Verde County, Texas *Battle of Valverde or Val Verde, an American Civil War battle *Val Verde (fictional country), Spanish speaking country resembling Panama that… … Wikipedia
Val Verde — kann bedeuten: Val Verde (Kalifornien) Val Verde (Texas) Val Verde Park (Texas) Val Verde County in Texas Valverde (New Mexico) im New Mexico Territory Schlacht von Val Verde eine Schlacht des Amerikanischen Bürgerkriegs Val Verde (Fiktion),… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Rancho Verde High School — is a high school located in Moreno Valley, California, USA. It is part of the Val Verde Unified School District. The choirs have consistently been at the top of adjudicated festival performances and performed at the Orchestra Hall in Chicago in… … Wikipedia
List of school districts in California — Also available: Lists of school districts in California by countyCalifornia’s public education system is huge: 6,286,943 students in 9,674 schools, which are governed by 1,052 school boards and regulated by a complex Education Code. [ [http://www … Wikipedia
List of school districts in California by county — This is a List of school districts in California by county Contents 1 A 2 B 3 C 4 … Wikipedia
List of school districts in Riverside County, California — *Alvord Unified School District *Banning Unified School District *Beaumont Unified School District *Coachella Valley Unified School District *Corona Norco Unified School District *Desert Center Unified School District *Desert Sands Unified School … Wikipedia
Citrus Hill High School — Address 18150 Wood Road Perris, California, 92570 USA Coordinates … Wikipedia
Moreno Valley, California — City of Moreno Valley City Flag … Wikipedia
Riverside County Office of Education — The Riverside County Office of Education serves as an intermediary between the California Department of Education and local school districts. The office provides a wide range of educational and administrative support services to the 23 school… … Wikipedia