name = Syun-Ichi Akasofu
image_width = 137px
caption = Dr. Akasofu
December 4, 1930
residence = flagicon|USA
citizenship = flagicon|USA American
University of Alaska Fairbanks
alma_mater = Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan (B.A., 1953; M.S., 1957),
University of Alaska Fairbanks(Ph.D., 1961)
doctoral_advisor = Sydney Chapman
Space physics, Auroraresearch
Chapman Medalof the Royal Astronomical Society, Fellow of the AGU, John Adam Fleming Medal of the AGU, Edith R. Bullock Prize for Excellence of the University of Alaska, and Order of the Sacred Treasures, Gold and Silver Stars by the Emperor of Japan
nihongo|Syun-Ichi Akasofu|赤祖父 俊一|"Akasofu Shun'ichi"|extra=Ph.D., born
December 4, 1930, Nagano-ken, Japan, is the Founding Director of the International Arctic Research Centerof the University of Alaska Fairbanks(UAF) and its Director since its establishment in 1998 until January 2007. Previously he was director of the Geophysical Institutesince 1986.
Dr. Akasofu earned a B.S. and a M.S. in
geophysicsat Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan, in 1953 and 1957. respectively. He earned a Ph.D in geophysics at UAF in 1961. Within the framework of his Ph.D. thesis he studied the aurora. His scientific adviser was Sydney Chapman. Dr. Akasofu has been a professor of geophysicsat UAF since 1964.
Akasofu was director of the
Geophysical Institutefrom 1986 until 1999, during which time the Alaska Volcano Observatorywas established and Poker Flat Research Rangewas modernized. He went on to become the first director of the International Arctic Research Center (IARC) upon its establishment in 1998, and remained in that position until 2007. The same year, the building which houses IARC was named in his honor.
Dr. Akasofu has served as an Associate Editor of the "Journal of Geophysical Research" (1972-74) and the "Journal of Geomagnetism & Geoelectricity" (1972-present), respectively. Furthermore, he has served as a member of the Editorial Advisory Board of the "Planetary Space Science" (1969-present), the Editorial Advisory Board of "Space Science Reviews" (1967-77), and the Editorial Committee of "Space Science Reviews" (1977-present).
Akasofu is one of the 400 scientists listed in a report issued by the Republican minority of the
United States Senate Committee on Environment and Public Worksentitled [http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Minority.SenateReport "Over 400 Prominent Scientists Disputed Man-Made Global Warming Claims in 2007"] who were said to dispute the theory of anthropogenic global warming.
* [http://climatesci.colorado.edu/index.php?s=akasofu&submit=Search] On the Fundamental Defect in the IPCC’s Approach to Global Warming Research by Syun-Ichi Akasofu, Climate Science: Roger Pielke Sr. Research Group Weblog, June 15 2007
* [http://www.iarc.uaf.edu/highlights/2007/akasofu_3_07/Earth_recovering_from_LIA.pdf Is the Earth still recovering from the “Little Ice Age”? A possible cause of global warming]
He is a [http://portal.isiknowledge.com/portal.cgi?DestApp=HCR&Func=Frame highly cited author] .
* Akasofu, S.-I., Polar and Magnetospheric Substorms, D. Reidel Pub. Co., Dordrecht, Holland, 1968, (also a Russian edition).
* Akasofu, S.-I., B. Fogle, and B. Haurwitz, Sydney Chapman, Eighty, published by the National Center for Atmospheric Research and the Publishing Service of the University of Colorado, 1968.
* Akasofu, S.-I. and S. Chapman, Solar-Terrestrial Physics, Clarendon Press, Oxford, England, 1972, (also a Russian and Chinese edition).
* Akasofu, S.-I., The Aurora: A Discharge Phenomenon Surrounding the Earth, (in Japanese), Chuo-koran- sha, Tokyo, Japan.
* Akasofu, S.-I., Physics of Magnetospheric Substorms, D. Reidel, Pub. Co., Dordrecht, Holland, 1977.
* Akasofu, S.-I., Aurora Borealis: The Amazing Northern Lights, Alaska Geographic Society, Alaska Northwest Pub. Co., 6, 2, 1979, (also a Japanese edition).
* Akasofu, S.-I. (ed.), Dynamics of the Magnetosphere, D. Reidel Pub. Co., Dordrecht, Holland, 1979.
* Akasofu, S.-I. and J.R. Kan (eds.), Physics of Auroral Arc Formation, Am. Geophys. Union, Washington, D.C., 1981.
* Akasofu, S.-I. and Y. Kamide (eds.), The Solar Wind and the Earth, Geophys. Astrophys. Monographs, Terra Scientific Pub. Co., Tokyo, Japan, and D. Reidel Pub. Co., Dordrecht, Holland, 1987.
* Akasofu, S.-I., Secrets of the Aurora Borealis, Alaska Geographic Society, Banta Publications Group/Hart Press, Vol. 29, No. 1, 2002.
* Akasofu, S.-I. Exploring the Secrets of the Aurora, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Netherlands, 2002.
Awards and Honors
* 1976 -
Chapman Medal, Royal Astronomical Society
* 1977 - The Japan Academy of Sciences Award
* 1979 - Fellow of the
American Geophysical Union(AGU)
* 1979 - John Adam Fleming Medal, AGU
* 1980 - Named a Distinguished Alumnus by
* 1981 - Named one of the "1,000 Most-Cited Contemporary Scientists by Current Contents
* 1985 - First recipient of the Sydney Chapman Chair professorship,
* 1985 - Special Lecture for the Emperor of Japan on the aurora (October 3)
* 1986 - Member of the International Academy of Aeronautics, Paris
* 1987 - Named one of the "Centennial Alumni" by the
National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges
* 1993 - Japan Foreign Minister's Award for Promoting International Relations and Cultural Exchange between Japan and Alaska
* 1996 - Japan Posts and Telecommunications Minister Award for Contributions to the US-Japan Joint Project on Environmental Science in Alaska
* 1997 - Edith R. Bullock Prize for Excellence,
University of Alaska
* 1999 - Alaskan of the Year - Denali Award
* 2002 - Named one of the "World's Most Cited Authors in Space Physics" by Current Contents ISI
* 2003 -
Order of the Sacred Treasures, Gold and Silver Stars by the Emperor of Japan
* [http://www.iarc.uaf.edu/people/indiv/iarc_all_staff.php?photo=sakasofu Syun-Ichi Akasofu at the International Arctic Research Center]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Contreverse sur le réchauffement climatique — Controverses sur le réchauffement climatique Les controverses sur le réchauffement climatique portent sur les points suivants : la réalité du réchauffement climatique : à quelques exceptions près, au sein de la communauté scientifique,… … Wikipédia en Français
Controverse Sur Le Réchauffement Climatique — Controverses sur le réchauffement climatique Les controverses sur le réchauffement climatique portent sur les points suivants : la réalité du réchauffement climatique : à quelques exceptions près, au sein de la communauté scientifique,… … Wikipédia en Français
Substorm — A series of images made by ultraviolet light imager on the THEMIS spacecraft showing the aurora and Earth s upper atmosphere. The glowing side is the atmosphere lit up by the Sun s light energy and the oval of light is the aurora. During a… … Wikipedia
Sydney Chapman (mathematician) — Sydney Chapman FRS (29 January 1888 ndash; 16 June 1970Obituary, The Times [http://www history.mcs.st andrews.ac.uk/Obits/Chapman.html] ] T. G. Cowling, Sydney Chapman. 1888 1970, Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society, Vol. 17,… … Wikipedia
Interplanetary medium — [ heliospheric current sheet results from the influence of the Sun s rotating magnetic field on the plasma in the interplanetary medium. [http://quake.stanford.edu/ wso/gifs/HCS.html] ] The interplanetary medium is the material which fills the… … Wikipedia
The Deniers — Infobox Book name = The Deniers: The world renowned scientists who stood up against global warming hysteria, political persecution, and fraud title orig = The Deniers: The world renowned scientists who stood up against global warming hysteria,… … Wikipedia
Little Ice Age — The reconstructed depth of the Little Ice Age varies between different studies (anomalies shown are from the 1950–80 reference period). The Little Ice Age (LIA) was a period of cooling that occurred after the Medieval Warm Period (Medieval… … Wikipedia
Aurora (astronomy) — Aurora Borealis redirects here. For other uses, see Aurora Borealis (disambiguation). Aurora Australis redirects here. For the ship, see Aurora Australis (icebreaker). For the book, see Aurora Australis (book). Northern lights redirects here. For … Wikipedia
University of Alaska Fairbanks — infobox University name= University of Alaska Fairbanks motto= Ad Summum (Latin for to the top ) endowment= $61.7 million chancellor= Steve Jones established= 1917 type= Public Sea grant Space grant Land grant Sun grant staff= faculty= 835… … Wikipedia
Magnetosphere chronology — The following is a chronology of discoveries concerning the magnetosphere. 1600 William Gilbert in London suggests the Earth is a giant magnet. 1741 Hiorter and Anders Celsius note that the polar aurora is accompanied by a disturbance of the… … Wikipedia