- Italian general election, 1994
An early national general election was held in
Italyon March 27, 1994to elect members of the Chamber of Deputies and the Senate. Silvio Berlusconi's centre-right won handly the election for the Chamber and only narrowly lost that for the Senate.
Berlusconi I Cabinetobtained a vote of confidence also in the Senate thanks to the defection of four Senators of the Italian People's Party ( Vittorio Cecchi Gori, Stefano Cusumano, Luigi Grilloand Tomaso Zanoletti), who decided not to partecipate to the vote.
The vote of the Senators for life was not decisive as three (
Gianni Agnelli, Francesco Cossigaand Giovanni Leone) voted in favour of the government, three were absent ( Carlo Bo, Norberto Bobbioand Amintore Fanfani) and five voted against ( Giulio Andreotti, Francesco De Martino, Giovanni Spadoliniand Paolo Emilio Tavianiand Leo Valiani).
The Senate finally gave to Berlusconi 159 votes in favour and 153 against. [ [http://www.ilsole24ore.com/fc?cmd=art&codid=20.0.1906313828&chId=30&artType=Articolo&DocRulesView=Libero Il Sole 24 Ore - Nel 1994 decisivi per Berlusconi tre senatori a vita] .]
The intricate electoral system of Italy, nicknamed as "Mattarellum" (after
Sergio Mattarella, who was the official proponent), provided a 75% of the seats on the Chamber of Deputies (the Lower House) as elected by uninominal system, whereas the remaining 25% was assigned on a proportional way with a minimum threshold of 4%.If possible, the method associate on the Senate is even more complicated: 75% of seats by uninominal method, and 25% by a special proportional method that actually assigns the remaining seats to minority parties.
Chamber of Deputies
enate of the Republic
*it icon [http://politiche.interno.it/dati/camera/27marzo1994.zip Minister of Internal Affairs of Italy: 1994 Election Results, Chamber of Deputies - uninominal] (compressed ZIP file)
*it icon [http://elezionistorico.interno.it/liste.php?tp=C&dt=27/03/1994&cta=I&tpEnte=A&tpSeg=C&numEnte=0&sut1=&sut2=&sut3=&descEnte=&descArea=ITALIA Ministry of Internal Affairs of Italy: 1994 Election Results, Chamber of Deputies - proportional]
*it icon [http://elezionistorico.interno.it/liste.php?tp=S&dt=27/03/1994&cta=I&tpEnte=A&tpSeg=C&numEnte=0&sut1=&sut2=&sut3=&descEnte=&descArea=ITALIA Minister of Internal Affairs of Italy: 1994 Election Results, Senate of the Republic]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.