Chivas Regal Type Scotch whisky Manufacturer Chivas Brothers Country of origin Scotland Introduced 1801 Proof 80 Variants 12 Year Old, 18 Year Old, 25 year Old Related products Royal Salute whisky
Chivas Regal is a blended Scotch whisky produced by Chivas Brothers, owned by Pernod Ricard. According to the brand packaging, Chivas Brothers was first established in 1801 in Aberdeen, Scotland. The Chivas brand's home is Strathisla Distillery at Keith, Moray in Speyside, Scotland.
Chivas Regal family
Chivas Regal whiskies are blended in a distinctive house style of a mellow, honeyed flavour.
- Chivas Regal 12 Year Old: Blended from whiskies matured for at least 12 years. Taste: Round and creamy on the palate, a taste of honey and ripe apples, with vanilla, hazelnut and butterscotch notes.
- Chivas Regal 18 Year Old: Blended from whiskies matured for at least 18 years. Taste: Chocolate and orange notes, some citrus and spice on the nose and a full, fruity, citrusy and spicy palate, with sherry notes to finish.
- Chivas Regal 25 Year Old: Created using whiskies aged at least 25 years; available only in limited quantities with a retail price of c$300. Taste: The blend has tasting notes of apricot and peach.
Chivas Brothers traces its roots to the opening of a grocery store at 13 King St, Aberdeen in 1801. The store sold luxury foodstuffs such as coffee, exotic spices, French brandies, and Caribbean rums to a wealthy clientele. In 1842, Chivas Brothers were retained to supply provisions to the royal family at Balmoral Castle upon Queen Victoria's first visit to Scotland.
In 1843, Chivas Brothers were granted a Royal Warrant to supply goods to Queen Victoria. Chivas Brothers was described in 1890 as 'undoubtedly the finest purveying business in the north of Scotland' by Scotland of Today magazine.
During the 1850s, James Chivas decided to respond to his affluent customers' demands for a smoother whisky, by beginning to blend whiskies to create a proprietary blend to Chivas Brothers. Their first blended Scotch whisky named 'Royal Glen Dee' was launched, followed in the 1860s by their second blended Scotch whisky, 'Royal Strathythan'.
In the early 1900s, Chivas Brothers decided to create their most aged blended Scotch whisky to export to the U.S, where the booming economy after the turn of the century was fueling demand for luxury goods. The whisky was named Chivas Regal.
Chivas Regal was purchased by Seagrams in 1949, which provided a much wider distribution and marketing system.
Chivas Regal was re-launched as Chivas Regal 12 year old in the US following the disruption of both Prohibition and World War II. Chivas became a fashionable brand of the era, and became associated with Frank Sinatra and the rest of the Rat Pack. Chivas Regal was the Scotch whisky requested by Sinatra, along with other spirits brands backstage at performances, and Chivas sponsored Frank Sinatra's Diamond Jubilee Tour in 1990.
The Chivas Regal range was expanded with the launch of higher aged whiskies, in 1997 with the launch of Chivas Regal 18 year old, and in 2007 with the launch of Chivas Regal 25.
Chivas Regal was acquired by Pernod Ricard in 2000 upon the breakup of Seagrams Group.
The home of Chivas Regal and location of its visitor centre is located at the Strathisla distillery. The distillery was founded in 1786, and is the oldest working distillery in the Highlands of Scotland - Strathisla Distillery, located in Speyside.
The Strathisla distillery is owned by Chivas Brothers, and Strathisla Single Malt is one of the malt whiskies used within the Chivas Regal blend.
Strathisla Single Malts have a natural sweetness and help to define the taste of Chivas Regal.
In 2009, Chivas Regal launched a new global advertising campaign, to run across all continents. 'Live with Chivalry' was created by the Euro RSCG advertising agency. The campaign features TV, press, and outdoor advertising.
Chivas Regal is also featured during the closing of the TV series Boston Legal.
Chivas Regal whiskies have performed well at international Spirit ratings competitions. Although it only received a bronze medal in the latest competition in which it was entered (2009), the Chivas Regal 18yr Gold Signature blended whiskey—perhaps Chivas' best-performing product—received double gold medals at the 2006 and 2008 San Francisco World Spirits Competitions. Chivas' 21-year whisky has generally garnered silver medals at the competition.
- ^ The Power 100
- ^ Annual Report 2007/8, p.24  and Annual Report 2006/7, p.20 .
- ^ a b "Chivas Regal" (PDF). http://www.superbrands.easysite.org/files/ChivasRegal_4072.pdf. Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- ^ http://www.scotchmaltwhisky.co.uk/chivas-regal.htm.
- ^ Royal Mile Whiskies Review
- ^ "Chivas Regal Unveils Chivas Regal 25 Year Old As A Tribute To The World's First Luxury Blended Scotch Whisky". Drinks Media Wire. 2007-10-01. http://www.drinksmediawire.com/afficher_cdp.asp?id=1998&lng=2. Retrieved 2008-09-12.
- ^ 
- ^ "Scotland of Today" Published May 3, 1890
- ^ a b "A Double Scotch" by F. Paul Pacult. ©2005 John Wiley & Sons ISBN 0-471-66271-2
- ^ http://lastheplace.com/2007/10/15/celebrities-and-vips-celebrate-the-launch-of-chivas-regal-25-year-old-scotch-whisky/
- ^ Mervis, Scott (1999-01-08). "Catering company dishes out fine food and gossip in 'Backstage Passes'". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. http://www.post-gazette.com/magazine/19990108backstage4.asp.
- ^ a b 
- ^ 
- ^ a b  www.Proof66.com
- "A Double Scotch" by F. Paul Pacult. ©2005 John Wiley & Sons ISBN 0-471-66271-2
- "Cool Brands: An insight into some of Britain's coolest brands" ©2006 Superbrands Ltd ISBN 1-905652-03-8 *History of Chivas Regal from Superbrands.com
- "Scotland of Today" Published May 3, 1890.
- Chivas Regal Official site
- Strathisla Distillery, home of Chivas Regal
- History of Chivas Regal from Superbrands.com
- Whisky Distilleries
- Strathisla Distillery
- Pernod Ricard Parent Company Homepage
- Chivas Brothers Packaging Upgrade Infomration
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chivas Regal — Land Schottland Geographische Lage … Deutsch Wikipedia
Chivas Regal — Création 1801 Fondateurs James et John Chivas … Wikipédia en Français
Chivas Regal — Este artículo o sección necesita referencias que aparezcan en una publicación acreditada, como revistas especializadas, monografías, prensa diaria o páginas de Internet fidedignas. Puedes añadirlas así o avisar … Wikipedia Español
Chivas Regal — … Википедия
Chivas Regal effect — The marketing phenomena for the mindset that if something costs more, it must be more desirable. This effect is most often attributed to the price of private universities in the US. For example, because Harvard University costs $40,000 per year… … Wikipedia
Chivas — may refer to: Chivas Regal, a blended Scotch whisky produced by Chivas Brothers Club Deportivo Guadalajara, a Mexican association football club based in Guadalajara, Jalisco Club Deportivo Chivas USA, an American association football club based… … Wikipedia
Chivas — El término Chivas puede hacer referencia a diferentes artículos: El Club Deportivo Guadalajara, equipo popular mexicano de fútbol. Chivas Regal, marca escocesa de whisky. El Club Deportivo Chivas USA, equipo estadounidense de fútbol. Chivas Coras … Wikipedia Español
Chivas — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Le nom Chivas peut faire référence à: Chivas Regal, un célèbre Scotch whisky Chivas de Guadalajara, club de football de Guadalajara au Mexique C.D. Chivas … Wikipédia en Français
Чивас Ригал — Шевас Ригал Логотип Шевас Ригал Виски Основатель: Джон и Джеймс Чивас Год основания: 1801 Крепость: 40 % Тип: Виски Производитель: Pernod Ricard … Википедия
Шивас Ригал — Шевас Ригал Логотип Шевас Ригал Виски Основатель: Джон и Джеймс Чивас Год основания: 1801 Крепость: 40 % Тип: Виски Производитель: Pernod Ricard … Википедия