Day of Independence
Day of Independence
poster design: Dennis Mukai
Genre drama Creator Cedar Grove Productions Directed by Chris Tashima Produced by Lisa Onodera
Executive Producers Tim Toyama
Written by Chris Tashima & Tim Toyama
based on the play, Independence Day, by Tim Toyama
Starring Derek Mio
Music by Scott Nagatani Country United States Language English Original channel KHET / PBS Hawai'i Original airing May 12, 2005 Running time 27 min.
Day of Independence (2003) is a short film, broadcast as a half-hour PBS television special. It is a drama, set during the Japanese American internment of World War II, produced by Cedar Grove Productions with Visual Communications as fiscal sponsor.
A desert. A baseball diamond. A friendship. America, 1943.
The story of the film is based on playwright and executive producer Tim Toyama's own father's World War II experience. During the war, Toyama's father, whose nickname was Zip, was sent along with his entire family to a U.S. internment camp for Japanese Americans. Zip's Issei (Japanese immigrant) father fell ill and elected to return to Japan, along with Zip's mother, on a prisoner exchange ship, called the Gripsholm. However, the parents told Zip that as an American, he should remain in the U.S.
Toyama wrote a play based on his family history, entitled "Independence Day." He and director Chris Tashima then adapted the play into a short film, which was produced by Lisa Onodera. The film was shot in 6 days, in Stockton, California and in Los Angeles. It was completed in 2003 and played in over 70 film and video festivals and competitions, winning 25 awards. Following its broadcast premiere on KHET/PBS Hawai'i on May 12, 2005, the film received a Regional Emmy nomination, from the NATAS San Francisco/Northern California Chapter (which includes Hawaii), in the category of Historical/Cultural – Program/Special.
A young baseball player faces the tragic circumstances of the internment of 110,000 Americans of Japanese ancestry during World War II. Set in a relocation camp in 1943, Day of Independence chronicles a family torn apart by a forced, unjust incarceration, a father's decision that challenges his son, and ultimately his son's triumph through courage, sacrifice and the All-American game of baseball.
- Derek Mio as Zip
- Marcus Toji as Hog
- Alan Muraoka as Father
- Keiko Kawashima as Mother
- Chris Tashima as The Umpire
(In order of appearance)
- Dean Komure as Spectator
- Lisa Joe as Frances ("National Anthem" singer)
- Diana Toshiko as Betty
- Sarah Chang as Sadie
- Julie Tofukuji as Mimi
- Ulysses Lee as Tad
- Jonathan Okui as Satch
- Gina Hiraizumi as Rose
- Emmy Nomination - 35th Northern California Emmy Awards
- CINE Golden Eagle
- Platinum Best of Show - Aurora Awards
- Accolade Award of Excellence, Short Film
- Best Short - Stony Brook Film Festival
- Best Narrative Short - Tambay Film & Video Festival
- "Slate" Award, Best Short - California Independent Film Festival
- Best Short Film - Houston Multicultural Independent Film Festival
- Gold / 1st Prize - Crested Butte Reel Fest
- Audience Award, Best Drama - Marco Island Film Festival
- Performance artist Dan Kwong, who is also a baseball player, coached lead actor Derek Mio in old-style pitching form.
- Lisa Joe's character, "Frances" (who sings the National Anthem at the ballgame and later conducts a choir rehearsal), was named in honor of Joe's mother, Frances Sue Okabe, a well known Nisei singer and music teacher. Okabe was interned at the Minidoka internment camp as a teenager, where she was known for her singing. Joe provided the singing voice on the soundtrack as well, which was recorded on Mother's Day just after her mother died from cancer.
- During one of the montage sequences of "camp life," there is a painter standing by an easel, who is portrayed by playwright Tim Toyama, who stepped in at the last moment when the person cast to play the part didn't show up for filming.
- The scene depicting the choir rehearsal has un-credited cameo appearances by noted actors Tamlyn Tomita, Emily Kuroda, Sab Shimono and Greg Watanabe who are friends of the director.
- ^ [AMA-e-News] Asian Media Access, E-Newsletter, 4/19
- ^ "A Day of Independence" - World War II Forums
- ^ enews for Hawaii International Film Festival
- ^ list of 35th NorCal Emmy noms; p. 9 (pdf)
- ^ 2004 CINE winner list
- ^ 2003 Awards of Excellence / Film
- ^ Stony Brook Film Festival 2004 winners on IndieWire
- ^ 4th Tambay Film Fest Winners on Nolan's Pop Culture Review online
- ^ California Independent Film Festival winner history
- ^ 2004 Winners on Crested Butte Reel Fest online
- ^ San Diego Asian Film Festival asks Tashima, "... quite an impressive crew & cast (Greg Watanabe, Tamlyn Tomita, Sab Shimono ). How did you get everyone ...? on SDAFF website
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Independence Day (disambiguation) — Independence Day is an annual celebration commemorating the anniversary of a nation s assumption of independent statehood. Independence Day may also refer to:In film: * Independence Day (film), a 1996 film directed by Roland Emmerich **… … Wikipedia
day — W1S1 [deı] n ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ 1¦(24 hours)¦ 2¦(not night)¦ 3¦(when you are awake)¦ 4¦(time at work)¦ 5¦(past)¦ 6¦(now)¦ 7¦(future)¦ 8 somebody s/something s day 9 Independence/election/Christmas etc day 10 five/three/ni … Dictionary of contemporary English
Independence Day (film) — Infobox Film name = Independence Day caption = Independence Day movie poster director = Roland Emmerich producer = Dean Devlin writer = Dean Devlin Roland Emmerich starring = Will Smith Bill Pullman Jeff Goldblum Mary McDonnell Judd Hirsch Robert … Wikipedia
Independence Day (Film) — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel: Independence Day Originaltitel: Independence Day Produktionsland: USA Erscheinungsjahr: 1996 Länge: 138 Minuten Originalsprache: Englisch … Deutsch Wikipedia
Independence Day — Este artículo o sección necesita una revisión de ortografía y gramática. Puedes colaborar editándolo (lee aquí sugerencias para mejorar tu ortografía). Cuando se haya corregido, borra este aviso por favor. Para una lista con el día de la… … Wikipedia Español
Independence of New Zealand — The independence of New Zealand occurred gradually over the twentieth century by a series of Royal proclamations, Imperial Conferences and Acts of the British and New Zealand Parliaments. Thus, New Zealand has no single date of official… … Wikipedia
Independence Day (2009) — Filmplakat Independence Day – Kosovo Independence Day – Kosovo auf dem Weg in die Unabhängigkeit ist ein Dokumentarfilm von den Schweizer Regisseuren Juerg Hostettler und Georg Häsler. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Zusammenfassung … Deutsch Wikipedia
day — noun 1 period of 24 hours ADJECTIVE ▪ the following, (the) next ▪ the previous ▪ the other ▪ I was in your area the other day (= recently). ▪ … Collocations dictionary
Independence Day (Brazil) — Independence Day Dia da Independência Independence Day parade in Brasília Also called Sete de Setembro (7th of September) Dia da Pátria (Nation s Day) … Wikipedia
INDEPENDENCE DAY, ISRAEL — (Heb. יוֹם הָעַצְמָאוּת, Yomha Aẓma ut), Israel s national day. It is celebrated each year on the 5th of Iyyar, the anniversary – according to the Hebrew calendar – of the day in 5708 (May 14, 1948) when the declaration of independence was… … Encyclopedia of Judaism