Nipper's Harbour, Newfoundland and Labrador
official_name = Nipper's Harbour
settlement_type = Town
pushpin_label_position = left
pushpin_map_caption = Location of Nipper's Harbour in Newfoundland
subdivision_type = Country
subdivision_name = CAN
subdivision_type1 = Province
subdivision_name1 = NL
established_title = Settled
established_date = 1804
population_total = 190
utc_offset = -3:30
timezone_DST = Newfoundland Daylight
utc_offset_DST = -2:30
latd = 49
latm = 47
lats = 11.03
latNS = N
longd = 55
longm = 51
longs = 41.74
longEW = W
area_code = 709
footnotes = Nipper's Harbour, a community of 190 people, is located on the east coast of the
Baie VertePeninsula in the Province of Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada. This incorporated community is located on a rocky inlet that combines Nipper's Harbour and Noble's Cove, and where the primary industry is the inshore fishery.
In 1804, John Noble from England settled on the present Nipper's Harbour site and made a living fishing salmon. Fifteen years later, Thomas Starkes, also of England, settled there. Today, Starkes and Noble are still the most prominent family names in Nipper's Harbour, while Bowers and Prole round out the limited array of family names. In 1904, it was one of the larger and more prosperous towns in the region, with a population of 250, and was one of the few places with a hotel.
The presence of mineral wealth on other parts of the Baie Verte Peninsula led to the sinking of a mine shaft at Nipper's Harbour in the early 1900’s. While nearby mining sites, notably Burton's Pond, Bett's Cove, and Tilt Cove, were able to deliver some mineral wealth, Nipper’s Harbour was never able to extract minerals of economic value.
The inshore fishery was the prominent industry in the region and supplied bountiful amounts of codfish, turbot and salmon. Nipper's Harbour became known as "the Capital of Green Bay" and was a center for trade in the area, with fishermen from smaller communities up and down the coast delivering their fish to the merchants there for export. These included the small outport Burton’s Pond, Bett’s Cove, and Indian Burying Place. The cod was salted, dried, and packed in casks for export on foreign vessels to destinations as distant as Russia and Norway.
A government sponsored bait depot was commissioned by the government in 1950 and had a capacity of 120,000 lbs at its peak. The bait depot received squid, caplin and herring, which was frozen and stored. It was later resold to fisherman as a means to lure ground fish near the fishing nets and cods traps; previously, individual fishermen jigged for squid to use as bait. The absence of local refrigeration made the bait depot a popular place to store personal goods before the advent of electricity and personal refrigeration in the 1970s. Before the bait depot, meat was kept outdoors in a "store" during the winter, sometimes packed in boxes of sawdust. The bait depot closed in 1978 as fishing methods developed and no longer required bait for harvesting the local ground fish.
A road went through in the 1960s; before this time, the preferred methods of transportation were coastal steamers in summer and snowshoes and dogsleds in winter.
Nipper's Harbour suffered the same fate of many communities in
Newfoundland & Labradorwith the closure of the inshore fisheries in 1990: an economic and social death toll rang. The removal of the primary livelihood resulted in a decline in the population to 190 by 2001.Cite web|url=http://www.communityaccounts.ca/communityaccounts/onlinedata/accountselectionpage.asp?comval=com356|title=Nipper's Harbour Community Profile|accessyear=2007|accessmonthday=September 18|publisher=Community accounts|author=Community accounts|language=English] A viable inshore fishery remains that permits the harvesting of limited amounts of ground fish and provides the only source of industry for the remaining local citizens.Fact|date=September 2007
Location & Geography
Nipper's Harbour is on the east cost of the
Baie VertePeninsula and part of the Notre Dame Baywaterway. It is approximately 300 km north of Deer LakeInternational Airport, and roughly 700 km northwest via the Trans Canada Highwayof the provincial capital, St John's. It is in the province of Newfoundland & Labrador, Canada.
A group of seven small islands (Nipper's Islands) are located approximately one mile offshore from the harbour entrance. The largest island, Seal Island, was the site of a large lighthouse until 40 years ago; the smallest, Gull Island, is a nesting sight for local seagulls.
Items of Interest
The derivation of the name is believed to be from the local name for the mosquito, the "jarnipper."Cite web|url=http://ezc.ca/webs/ez_list_pages.asp?user=communities&sub_category=Nipper's+Harbour|title=Municipalities - Nipper's Harbour|accessyear=2007|accessmonthday=September 18|publisher=Emerald Zone Corporation|author=Emerald Zone Corporation|language=English]
While three churches serve the local community, of particular interest is the Anglican church, which is well over 100 years old. It is noteworthy for its maintenance, since it has not been an active church for more than 20 years.
A short boat ride north along the coast, brings you to the former outport, Indian Burying Place. It is one of the last outport towns in
Newfoundland & Labrador, and was highlighted on the cover of Canada's national magazine, Maclean's, in 2003 as the last remnants of a bygone era where the remains of a long-dead industry still echo.
List of cities and towns in Newfoundland and Labrador
* [http://www.centralnewfoundland.com/nippersharbour.php3 Nipper's Harbour at Travel Central Newfoundland]
* [http://ezc.ca/webs/ez_page.asp?user=communities&sub_category=Community+Maps&title=Nipper's+Harbour Community map]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Division No. 8, Newfoundland and Labrador — Division No. 8 is a census division on the north coast of the island of Newfoundland in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. It has a land area of 9,315.44 km² (3,596.71 sq mi) and a population of 42,188 as of the 2001 census.… … Wikipedia
List of cities and towns in Newfoundland and Labrador — This page lists cities and towns of the province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. This list contains only incorporated municipalities. Unincorporated settlements are listed at List of communities in Newfoundland and Labrador Contents:… … Wikipedia
Nipper's Harbour — Town … Wikipedia
Nova Central School District — is a school district headquartered in Gander, Newfoundland and Labrador. The district has 75 schools located in 54 different communities. The largest school in the district is Gander Academy. Randell Mercer is the CEO and Director of Education… … Wikipedia