- Christian Fennesz
Fennesz performing with Mike Patton at Dissonanze Festival in Rome on 2007-06-02.
Background information Birth name Christian Fennesz Also known as Fennesz Born 25 December 1962 Origin Vienna, Austria Instruments Guitar Labels Mego, Touch Associated acts Fenn O'Berg Website fennesz.com
Fennesz uses guitar and notebook computers to make multilayered compositions that blend melody and conventional musical instruments with harsh, irregular glitch-influenced sounds and washes of white noise. He lives and works in Vienna, Austria.
Fennesz was born and raised in Austria and studied music formally in art school. He started playing guitar around the ages 8 or 9.
He became involved in the Viennese techno scene of the early 1990s. From there on, he began to collect his own equipment and produce music based loosely around guitar and synthesizer sounds.
Since the 1990s, Fennesz played live with Ryuichi Sakamoto, with British electroacoustic improvisation icon Keith Rowe, and with quirky American pop group Sparklehorse. He has also worked alongside Peter Rehberg and Jim O'Rourke in the improvisional trio Fenn O'Berg, and with British singer David Sylvian - Sylvian sang on Fennesz's album Venice while Fennesz composed the music for "A Fire in the Forest" from Sylvian's album Blemish and made contributions to Sylvian's "When Loud Weather Buffeted Naoshima". Fennesz also remixed Ulver on the album 1993-2003: First Decade in the Machines, as well as appearing on their 2007 album Shadows of the Sun.
Fennesz had ties with the Vienna-based label Mego, and is now signed to Touch in the UK.
Fennesz and Sakamoto released a collaborative album entitled Cendre in March 2007 on Sakamoto's new Commmons label, via Touch.
Fennesz performed with singer Mike Patton at the 2007 Moers Festival - marking the first time the two have performed together on stage in Europe, as they have performed in 2006 at the Festival International de Musique Actuelle de Victoriaville, and will continue to tour Europe together into June.
In 2009 Fennesz teamed up with Mark Linkous (Sparklehorse) to create In the Fishtank 15. The following year Fennesz released Szampler, a cassette containing his sample collection on the Tapeworm label. This release was later remixed by Stefan Goldmann and released as Goldmann vs. Fennesz: Remiksz.
The emphasis on the guitar texture and the burying of pop melodies under layers of effects are common features of Fennesz's music. Ultimately, this is something that can be traced to the various Fripp & Eno collaborations of the 1970s. Also, the music of the Beach Boys has had an influence on Fennesz, as revealed by his cover of “Don’t Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)” on the Plays EP. The Beach Boys influence is mentioned in a Pitchforkmedia interview, in relation to the album title, cover art, and melodic emphasis of his Endless Summer LP.
- Studio Albums
- (1997) Hotel Paral.lel (Mego)
- (1999) Plus Forty Seven Degrees 56' 37" Minus Sixteen Degrees 51' 08" (Touch)
- (2001) Endless Summer (Mego)
- (2004) Venice (Touch)
- (2008) Black Sea (Touch)
- (2010) Szampler (Tapeworm)
- Collaboration albums
- (2005) Cloud with Keith Rowe, Toshimaru Nakamura and Oren Ambarchi (Erstwhile)
- (2007) Cendre with Sakamoto (Touch)
- (2009) In the Fishtank 15 with Sparklehorse (Konkurrent)
- (2010) Knoxville with David Daniell and Tony Buck (Thrill Jockey)
- (2010) Remiksz with Stefan Goldmann (Tapeworm)
- (2011) Flumina with Sakamoto (Commmons)
- (2002) Field Recordings: 1995-2002 (Touch)
- Live Recordings
- (2000) Live at Revolver, Melbourne live EP (Touch)
- (2004) Live at the LU with Keith Rowe (Erstwhile)
- (2005) Sala Santa Cecilia live EP with Ryuichi Sakamoto (Touch)
- (2005) Live in Japan CD (Headz/Touch, 2003) and LP (Autofact/Touch)
- (2009) Live @ The V. Sessions streaming video recording (The V. Sessions), 2009
- Studio EPs
- (1995) Instrument 12" vinyl (Mego)
- (1998) Il Libro Mio EP (Tanz Hotel)
- (1998) Plays 7" (Mego)
- (1999) Plays CDEP (Moikai)
- (2006) Plays 10" vinyl (Editions Mego)
- (2011) Seven Stars 10" vinyl (Touch)
- Singles, tracks
- (2002) "Wrapped Islands" with Polwechsel (Erstwhile)
- (2005) "Erstlive 004" with Peter Rehberg, Sachiko M and Otomo Yoshihide (Erstwhile)
- (2007) "On a desolate shore a shadow passes by" (Touch) - download only
- (2008) "Transition" (Touch)
- (2008) "Saffron Revolution" (Touch) - download only
- (2011) "Fearless" (Thrill Jockey) - contribution for the Benefit for the Recovery in Japan compilation
- (2003) Remixed "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "The Future Sound Of Music" (titled "Only the Poor have to Travel") by Ulver on 1993-2003: A Decade In The Machines (Jester Records)
- (2005) Remixed "Weight" by Isis on Oceanic Remixes Vol. 4 (Ipecac)
- (2007) Remixed "In This Twilight" by Nine Inch Nails on Year Zero Remixed (Interscope)
- (2010) Remixed "Returnal" by Oneothrix Point Never on Returnal Maxi Single 7" (Editions Mego)
- (2011) Remixed "The Visitor" by Miracle on Fluid Window
- (1999) Beyond the Ocean (USA)
- (2000) Gelbe Kirschen (Austria), directed by Leopold Lummerstorfer
- (2002) Blue Moon (Austria), written and directed by Andrea Maria Dusl
- (2005) Platform#09 Chicago loo (France) by Cedrick Eymenier
- (2009) Film ist. a girl & a gun (Austria), directed by Gustav Deutsch, with Lucia Pulido, Martin Siewert, Burkhard Stangl (7", Interstellar Records, Austria 2009)
- In Fenn O'Berg
- (1999) The Magic Sound of Fenn O'Berg (Mego)
- (2002) The Return of Fenn O'Berg (Mego)
- (2009) Magic & Return Double CD reissue (Editions Mego)
- (2010) In Stereo (Mego)
- ^ "Fennesz" by Sean Cooper for Allmusic.com; retrieved 2007-08-07
- ^ at Semtexinc.com
- ^ The Tapeworm, TTW#16 - Fennesz - Szampler
- ^ The Tapeworm, TTW#26 - Goldmann vs Fennesz - Remiksz
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Christian Fennesz — Fennesz, eigentlich Christian Fennesz (* 25. Dezember 1962 in Wien), ist ein österreichischer Musiker, er lebt und arbeitet wechselnd in Wien und Paris. Ursprünglich Gitarrist unter anderem in der in den 80er Jahren beliebten Independent Band… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Fennesz — live, 2007 Fennesz, eigentlich Christian Fennesz (* 25. Dezember 1962 in Wien), ist ein österreichischer Musiker, er lebt und arbeitet wechselnd in Wien und Paris. Inhaltsverzeichnis … Deutsch Wikipedia
Christian Zanési — Bernard Parmegiani Christian Zanési … Wikipedia
Christian Zanési — est un compositeur français né à Lourdes en 1952. Sommaire 1 Biographie … Wikipédia en Français
Endless Summer (Fennesz-Album) — Endless Summer Studioalbum von Fennesz Veröffentlichung 3. Juli 2001 Label Mego Format … Deutsch Wikipedia
Endless Summer (Fennesz album) — Infobox Album | Name = Endless Summer Type = Album Artist = Christian Fennesz Released = 3 July 2001 Recorded = Genre = Ambient / Glitch Length = 44:38 Label = Mego Producer = Reviews = *Allmusic Rating|4|5… … Wikipedia
Hotel Paral.lel — Studioalbum von Fennesz Veröffentlichung September 1997 Label Mego mego016 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mego (label) — Founded 1994 Founder Ramon Bauer Andreas Pieper Peter Meininger Peter Rehberg Genre Electronic, Glitch, Noise, Post Industrial Country of origin Austr … Wikipedia
David Sylvian — David Sylvian, November 1982 Background information Birth name David Alan Batt Born 23 February 19 … Wikipedia
Peter Rehberg — Infobox musical artist Name = Peter Rehberg Img capt = Peter Rehberg, Madrid, February 2006, photographed by Gisèle Vienne Img size = 300 Landscape = Background = group or band Alias = Origin = London Genre = Experimental, Electronic, Extreme… … Wikipedia