Chapter Music Founded June 1992 Founder Guy Blackman Genre various Country of origin Australia Location Northcote, Victoria Official Website Chapter Music
Chapter Music is one of Australia's longest-running independent record labels. It was founded by Guy Blackman in Perth in June 1992, after a few issues of a Syd Barrett inspired fanzine called Chapter 24, that Blackman started in October 1990, when he was seventeen. Initially Blackman released compilation cassettes of local Perth underground bands, the first of which was Bright Lights, Small City in July 1992. This was followed by a Sonic Youth tribute tape, Kill Yr Idols!, he then put out a new fanzine called Salty & Delicious. The label continued to put out a further eight cassettes (mostly compilations), one CD, and four issues of the fanzine.
Blackman relocated to Melbourne in mid 1995, where Chapter Music had its first seven inch vinyl single pressed at Corduroy Records, a new pressing plant in Australia. The single, a Molasses/Minimum Chips split single, was released in September 1995. This was followed by a seven inch single by Perth band, Sulk, with a third release, a split single for Sleepy Township/Cannanes released in October 1996.
Chapter Music is considered to be one of Melbourne's more established and well respected independent labels. Throughout its existence, Chapter released some 45 titles, including albums, 7" split singles and a zine named Salty and Delicious. Chapter Music briefly shut down in 2002 when Guy Blackman relocated to Japan, though has since resumed operations, releasing new titles including a compilation of Japanese psych-pop.
Artists on Chapter Music
Chapter Music has played host to a broad range of artists from all over Australia, in genres including rock and roll, indie pop, post punk, country and western and folk. Some artists who have released material on Chapter were:
- Above Ground Pool
- Guy Blackman
- Kath Bloom
- The Cannanes
- The Crayon Fields
- Jeremy Dower
- Driving Past
- Essendon Airport
- Frida Hyvönen
- Sachiko Kanenobu
- Maher Shalal Hash Baz
- Minimum Chips
- Clare Moore
- Panel Of Judges
- Primitive Calculators
- Tracey Read
- Sea Scouts
- Sleepy Township
Chapter Music has also released several compilation albums, including Can't Stop It! Australian Post-Punk 1978-82.
- ^ "Chapter Music". AIR. http://www.air.org.au/members/web_main_right.php?tab=logic&search_string=Experimental%20and%20Avant%20Garde&submit=search&type=category. Retrieved 4 January 211.
- ^ a b Lush, Brian (September 2008). "Rockwired interviews Guy Blackman". Rockwired. http://www.rockwired.com/guyblackman.html. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- ^ "Chapter Music". Australian Network. http://australianetwork.com/nexus/stories/s1856092.htm. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- ^ Schaefer, Renae (28 December 2008). "Passion for Pop". Mess + Noise. http://www.messandnoise.com/articles/3452045. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- ^ a b "Sounds Australia @ CMJ 2010" (pdf). APRA/AMCOS. p. 6. http://www.apra-amcos.com.au/soundsaustralia/Sounds_Australia_at_CMJ2010.pdf. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- ^ a b c "Chapter Music". Corduroy Records. http://www.corduroy.com.au/chapter/chapter_history.html. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- ^ Rule, Dan (20 June 2008). "Labelled with love". The Age. http://www.theage.com.au/news/music/labelled-with-love/2008/06/19/1213770781342.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- ^ "Victoria Rocks Music to the Ears of Winning Artists". Arts Victoria. 9 July 2010. http://www.arts.vic.gov.au/About_Us/News/Media_Releases/2010/Victoria_Rocks_Music_to_the_Ears_of_Winning_Artists. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chapter — For Wikimedia chapters, see m:Wikimedia chapters on Meta. Chapter, as an organizational class title, may refer to: A main division of a piece of writing or document, as a Chapter (books) and a chapter in legislation. As legislation the word… … Wikipedia
Chapter 27 — Theatrical release poster Directed by Jarrett Schaefer Produced by Na … Wikipedia
Chapter VII: Hope & Sorrow — Studio album by Sevendust Released April 1, 2008 … Wikipedia
Chapter VII : Hope & Sorrow — Chapter VII: Hope Sorrow Álbum de estudio de Sevendust Publicación 1 de abril de 2008 Grabación Noviembre de 2007 en Tree Sound Studios de Atlanta, Georgia, Estados Unidos Género(s) Metal alter … Wikipedia Español
Chapter 24 — Song by Pink Floyd from the album The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Released August 5, 1967 Recorded February June 1967 Genre Psychedelic rock … Wikipedia
Chapter 4: Labor Pains — Studio album by Syleena Johnson Released Decemb … Wikipedia
Music of Cuba — General topics Related articles Genres Batá and yuka Bolero Chachachá Changui Charanga … Wikipedia
Music education in the United States — Music of United States of America Timeline General topics Education · History Genres Classical … Wikipedia
Chapter One: Latin America — Studio album by Gato Barbieri Released 1973 … Wikipedia
Chapter 14 — Origin San Diego, California, USA Genres Rock, progressive metal, post hardcore Years active 2003–present Associated acts Austrian Death Machine, Destroy The Runner … Wikipedia