Bruno Nettl was born in Czechoslovakia in 1930, moved to United States in 1939, studied at Indiana University and the University of Michigan, and has taught since 1964 at the University of Illinois, where he is Professor Emeritus of Music and Anthropology, continuing to teach part-time. Active principally in the field of ethnomusicology, he has done field research with Native American peoples (1960s and 1980s, see Blackfoot music), in Iran (1966, 1968–69, 1972, 1974), and in South India (1981-2). He has served as president of the Society for Ethnomusicology and as editor of its journal, Ethnomusicology. Nettl holds honorary doctorates from the University of Illinois, Carleton College, Kenyon College, and the University of Chicago. He is a recipient of the Fumio Koizumi Prize for ethnomusicology, and is a fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. In the course of his long career as a scholar and as a professor, he was the teacher of many of the most visible ethnomusicologists active today in the international scene like, among many others, Philip Bohlman, Chris Waterman, Marcello Sorce Keller.
- (1956). Music in Primitive Culture. Harvard University Press. ISBN 0-674-59000-7.
- (1960). Cheremis Musical Styles. Indiana University Press
- (1964). Theory and Method in Ethnomusicology. The Free Press of Glencoe.
- (1965/1989). Folk and Traditional Music of the Western Continents. Prentice-Hall, Inc. ISBN 0-13-323247-6.
- (1976). Folk Music In The U.S. An Introduction. WAYNE STATE UNIVERSI
- (1978). Eight Urban Musical Cultures. ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
- (1989). Blackfoot Musical Thought: Comparative Perspectives. Ohio: The Kent State University Press. ISBN 0-87338-370-2.
- (1983/2005). The Study of Ethnomusicology. University of Illinois Press. ISBN 0-252-03033-8.
- (1991) Comparative Musicology And Anthropology Of Music. Chicago Press
- (1995). Heartland Excursions. University of Illinois Press. ISBN 0-252-02135-5
- (1995). Music, Culture, & Experience. CHICAGO UNIVERSITY P
- (1996). Excursions In World Music. PRENTICE HALL
- (1996). Musica Folklorica Y Tradicional En Los Continentes ALIANZA
- (1997). Africa in GARLAND PUBLISHING
- (1998). South America, Mexico, Central America And The Car
- (1998). In The Course Of Performance. CHICAGO UNIVERSITY P
- (1999). Europe in GARLAND ENCYCLOPEDIA OF WORLD MUSIC, V. 8
- (2005). Study Of Ethnomusicology ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
- (2010). Nettl's Elephant ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY
Marcello Sorce Keller, "Intervista con un etnomusicologo: Bruno Nettl", Nuova Rivista Musicale Italiana, 1980. no. 4, 567- 576.
- Department of Anthropology@University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign School of Music: Bruno Nettl
- Native Culture: Midcentury Anthropology At Indiana, Arapaho Bill Shakespear, and Me by Bruno Nettl
- Review of Nettl's 2005 revised edition of "The Study of Ethnomusicology"
This article on a musicologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.