Slaty-breasted Tinamou Conservation status Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia Phylum: Chordata Class: Aves Order: Tinamiformes Family: Tinamidae Subfamily: Tinaminae Genus: Crypturellus Species: C. boucardi Binomial name Crypturellus boucardi
The Slaty-breasted Tinamou or Boucard's Tinamou, Crypturellus boucardi, is a type of Tinamou commonly found in lowland moist forests of Central America. Although the Slaty-breasted Tinamou is recognized by most authorities, the SACC still classifies this bird as a sub-species of Crypturellus erythropus, Red-legged Tinamou.
All Tinamou are from the family Tinamidae, and in the larger scheme are also Ratites. Unlike other Ratites, Tinamous can fly, although in general, they are not strong fliers. All ratites evolved from prehistoric flying birds, and Tinamous are the closest living relative of these birds.
The Slaty-breasted Tinamou has two sub-species:
- C. b. boucardi (the nominate subspecies) ranges along the lowlands of the Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean coast in southeastern Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, and northwestern Honduras
- C. b. costaricensis ranges on the Caribbean slope in Honduras, Nicaragua, and northern Costa Rica
Crypturellus can be broken down into the following: kruptos meaning covered or hidden, oura meaning the tail and ellus meaning diminutive. Therefore Crypturellus means the small covered tail. Finally, boucardi is the Latin form of Boucard to commemorate Adolphe Boucard.
Range and habitat
It is commonly found in lowland moist forest in subtropical and tropical regions up to 1,800 m (5,900 ft) altitude. This species ranges along the Gulf of Mexico coast from southern Mexico, from southern Vera Cruz and northern Oaxaca south, to northern Costa Rica. Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
It prefers thick evergreen forests with thick undergrowth, but also can be found in thick forests with little undergrowth, secondary forests, and on regenerating plantations. It likes moist areas as well.
The Slaty-breasted Tinamou averages 27 cm (11 in) in length, and weighs about 470 g (1.0 lb). Its back and head are black to chestnut in color, brown on its wings, slaty grey on its breast, white on its throat, grey-brown on remainder of its underparts with darker barring on flanks and undertail. The female is has barring on its wings. Its legs are pink to bright red, and its bill is dark above and yellow below.
It is a shy and difficult Tinamou to be seen on the dark forest floors. Its call is a three note call and lower than other Tinamous. Its calls can be in long bouts, up to five hours at a time. This Tinamou and the Thicket Tinamou will produce hybrids on occasion.
Like other Tinamous, it feeds on fruit and seeds and some invertebrates, in particular, ants and termites.
The Slaty-breasted Tinamou male attracts 2 to 4 females to lay in its nest on the ground and in thick vegetation or between the raised roots of a tree. The male incubates and raises the young. Females will mate with more than one male.
- ^ a b BirdLife International (2008)
- ^ a b c Brands, S. (2008)
- ^ a b c American Ornithologists' Union (1998)
- ^ a b c d Clements, J (2007)
- ^ Gill, F. (2009)
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j Davies, S. J. J. F. (2003)
- ^ "Crypturellus boucardi". Integrated Taxonomic Information System. http://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=174408. Retrieved 07 April 2011.
- ^ Gotch, A. F. (1995)
- ^ a b BirdLife International (2008)(a)
- American Ornithologists' Union (1998)  "Tinamiformes: Tinamidae: Tinamous" (PDF) Check-list of North American Birds (7th ed.) Washington, D.C.: American Ornithologists' Union . p. 2 . ISBN 1-891276-00-X http://www.aou.org/checklist/north/pdf/AOUchecklistTin-Falcon.pdf
- BirdLife International (2008). Crypturellus boucardi. 2006. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. IUCN 2006. www.iucnredlist.org. Retrieved on 04 Feb 2009.
- "Crypturellus boucardi". Integrated Taxonomic Information System. http://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=174408. Retrieved 07 April 2011.
- BirdLife International (2008(a)). "Slaty-breasted Tinamou - BirdLife Species Factsheet". Data Zone. http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/species/index.html?action=SpcHTMDetails.asp&sid=28&m=1. Retrieved 06 Feb 2009.
- Brands, Sheila (Aug 14 2008). "Systema Naturae 2000 / Classification, Crypturellus boucardi". Project: The Taxonomicon. http://www.taxonomy.nl/Main/Classification/51331.htm. Retrieved Feb 04 2009.
- Clements, James (2007). The Clements Checklist of the Birds of the World (6 ed.). Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press. ISBN 978 0 8014 4501 9.
- Davies, S.J.J.F. (2003). "Tinamous". In Hutchins, Michael. Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia. 8 Birds I Tinamous and Ratites to Hoatzins (2 ed.). Farmington Hills, MI: Gale Group. pp. 57–59, 63–64. ISBN 0 7876 5784 0.
- Gill, F.; Wright, M.; Donsker, D. (19 Jan 2009). "Ratites". IOC World Bird List. WorldBirdNames.org. http://www.worldbirdnames.org/n-ratites.html#Footnotes-2. Retrieved 08 Feb 2009.
- Gotch, A. F. (1995) . "Tinamous". Latin Names Explained. A Guide to the Scientific Classifications of Reptiles, Birds & Mammals. New York, NY: Facts on File. p. 183. ISBN 0 8160 3377 3.
Tinamous (order: Tinamiformes • family: Tinamidae) Subfamily TinaminaeBerlepsch's Tinamou • Little Tinamou • Cinereous Tinamou • Tepui Tinamou • Brown Tinamou • Undulated Tinamou • Pale-browed Tinamou • Brazilian Tinamou • Grey-legged Tinamou • Red-legged Tinamou • Magdalena Tinamou • Santa Marta Tinamou • Colombian Tinamou • Yellow-legged Tinamou • Black-capped Tinamou • Thicket Tinamou • Slaty-breasted Tinamou • Choco Tinamou • Variegated Tinamou • Rusty Tinamou • Bartlett's Tinamou • Small-billed Tinamou • Barred Tinamou • Tataupa Tinamou Nothurinae
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
slaty-breasted tinamou — pilkakrūtis tinamas statusas T sritis zoologija | vardynas atitikmenys: lot. Crypturellus boucardi angl. slaty breasted tinamou vok. Graukehltinamu, m rus. серогорлый криптуреллус, m pranc. tinamou de Boucard, m ryšiai: platesnis terminas –… … Paukščių pavadinimų žodynas
slaty-breasted tinamou — noun A tinamou, Crypturellus boucardi … Wiktionary
Slaty-breasted — may refer to:* Slaty breasted Rail, a species of rail found in South Asia * Slaty breasted Tinamou, a type of Tinamou commonly found in lowlands of moist forest in subtropical and tropical regions * Slaty breasted Wood rail, a species of bird in… … Wikipedia
Tawny-breasted Tinamou — Conservation status Least Concern (IUCN 3.1) … Wikipedia
Tinamou — Temporal range: Miocene Recent 12–0 Ma … Wikipedia
Tinamou — Tinamidae Tinamidés … Wikipédia en Français
tinamou de Boucard — pilkakrūtis tinamas statusas T sritis zoologija | vardynas atitikmenys: lot. Crypturellus boucardi angl. slaty breasted tinamou vok. Graukehltinamu, m rus. серогорлый криптуреллус, m pranc. tinamou de Boucard, m ryšiai: platesnis terminas –… … Paukščių pavadinimų žodynas
Thicket Tinamou — Conservation status Least Concern (IUCN 3.1) … Wikipedia
Little Tinamou — Conservation status Least Concern (IUC … Wikipedia
Magdalena Tinamou — Conservation status Not recognized (IUCN 3.1) Scientific classification Kingdom … Wikipedia