Arviat (2006 population 2,060 [http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census06/data/profiles/community/Details/Page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=CSD&Code1=6205015&Geo2=PR&Code2=62&Data=Count&SearchText=Arviat&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=01&B1=All&GeoLevel=&GeoCode=6205015 2006 census] ] ; UA Population 1,785 cite web|url=http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census06/data/popdwell/Table.cfm?T=801&SR=1&S=1&O=A&RPP=9999&PR=0&CMA=0|title=Population and dwelling counts for Urban Area (2006 Census|publisher=
Statistics Canada|date=March 2007|accessdate=2008-02-17] ) ( Inuktitut syllabics: ᐊᕐᕕᐊᑦ; formerly called Eskimo Point until 1 June, 1989) is a predominantly Inuithamlet located on the western shore of Hudson Bayin the Kivalliq Regionof Nunavut, Canada. Arviat ("place of the bowhead whale") is derived from the Inuktitutword "arviq" meaning " Bowhead Whale". Even earlier, its name was "Tikirajualaaq" ("a little long point"). [cite web |url=http://mailhub.edu.nu.ca/kivalliq/Arviat.html |title=Arviat, Nunavut |publisher=nu.ca |accessdate=2008-01-01]
It is the southernmost community on the Nunavut mainland and is close to the geographical centre of Canada. Arviat is a traditional
Inuitcommunity, having the third largest population in Nunavut, behind Rankin Inletand the capital, Iqaluit. Arviat is currently growing at a faster rate than Rankin Inlet, however. From the 2001 census to the 2006 census there was a population increase of 8.5%. The mayor of Arviat is Johnny Mamgark. [ [http://www.nnsl.com/members/newspapers/stories/sep24_07up.html Inuit approve uranium policy] ]
Hunting and fishing are very active in the community; they are the primary source of sustenance. Three local stores, Padlei Co-op, Northern Stores and EPLS, carry a wide range of products. To the south, the town of Churchill,
Manitobais accessible by boat, snowmobile and Bombardier from Arviat and is often travelled to for supplies.
Arviat is well known around the Arctic for its artistic qualities. It is a striving community with many talented musicians:
Susan Aglukark, a well known musician; Simon "Johnny Cash of the North" Sigyariaq; the band Uniaqtuq, with Arsene, Pelagie and Mary Angalik; the Arviat Band, with John and Billy Kuksuk, Paul Kattau and others; the Irksuk band, played by Paul Irksuk and sons. All have had CDs recorded commercially.
Many types of wildlife are abundant. Within the vicinity of Arviat you have an opportunity to see
polar bears, millions of migratory birds, beluga whales, and caribou.
The only access is by air, by snowmobile and by annual
sealift, but the Nunavut government and the federal Senate member for Nunavut ( Willie Adams) are investigating the possibility of a billion dollar highway from Thompson, Lynn Lake, or Gillam to Rankin Inlet, through Arviat.
Arviat was originally inhabited by the
Paallirmiut, a coastal/inland Inuit band. In 1957, dying of starvation, the last remaining Ihalmiut, another Caribou Inuitband, were relocated to Arviat by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Though there are differences between the two bands, they recognize a need to work together in order to benefit the community. [cite web |url=http://inuitarteskimoart.com/artists/About-Arviat.html |title=About Arviat |publisher=inuitarteskimoart.com |accessdate=2007-12-26]
The Hudson Bay Quest sled-dog race was run from Churchill to Arviat for the first time in 2004.
* Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation. "An Examination of the Use of Domestic Space by Inuit Families Living in Arviat, Nunavut". [Ottawa] : CMHC, 2004.
* Inuit Gallery of Vancouver. "Arviat Artists of the Past, Present, and Future". Vancouver: Inuit Gallery of Vancouver, 1997. ISBN 096821231X
* Kalluak, Mark. "Pelts to Stone A History of Arts & Crafts Production in Arviat". [Ottawa] : Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, 1993. ISBN 0662208471
* Maguire, Mary, and Lynn McAlpine. "Attautsikut/Together Understanding Culture, Change and Success in Qitiqliq Secondary School and Arviat". Exemplary schools project technical report, 8. Toronto: Canadian Education Association, 1995. ISBN 0920315860
* Sharp, Jason M. "Ground Truthing of Linear Magnetic Anomalies Near Arviat, Nunavut Territory". Yellowknife, NT: Indian and Northern Affairs Canada, NWT eology Division, 1999.
* Swinton, George. Arviat Eskimo Point. Vancouver: Marion Scott Gallery, 1989. ISBN 0921634064
* Tyrrell, M. 2006. "Making Sense of Contaminants: A Case Study of Arviat, Nunavut". "Arctic". 59, no. 4: 370-380.
* [http://www.gov.nu.ca/english/about/Nunavut%20Communities%20Jan%2008.pdf Government of Nunavut - Arviat (PDF)]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Arviat — ᐊᕐᕕᐊᑦ Hamlet Two of the churches in Arviat … Wikipedia
Arviat Airport — IATA: YEK – ICAO: CYEK – WMO: 71812 Summary Airport type Public Operator Government of Nunavut … Wikipedia
Arviat Water Aerodrome — IATA: none – ICAO: none – TC LID: CRV8 Summary Airport type Private Operator Joe Savikataaq Location … Wikipedia
Nunavut — ᓄᓇᕗᑦ Provincia de Canadá … Wikipedia Español
Nunavut Arctic College — Coordinates: 63°43′39.41″N 68°26′40.42″W / 63.7276139°N 68.4445611°W / 63.7276139; 68.4445611 … Wikipedia
Arviat (electoral district) — Arviat is a territorial electoral district (riding) for the Legislative Assembly of Nunavut, Canada. The riding consists of the community of Arviat. The current Member of the Legislative Assembly is David Alagalak. The Nunavut Electoral… … Wikipedia
Arviat — Lage in Kanada … Deutsch Wikipedia
Nunavut Public Library Services — (NPLS) is the public library system serving the citizens of the Canadian territory of Nunavut. Contents 1 Administrative structure and history 2 Community profile 3 Collection 4 … Wikipedia
Nunavut — Wappen Flagge (Details) (Details) … Deutsch Wikipedia
Nunavut (electoral district) — Nunavut Nunavut electoral district Nunavut riding in relation to Canada Federal electoral district … Wikipedia