- Malmö Municipality
— Municipality —
Coat of arms
Country Sweden County Skåne County Seat Malmö Government – Mayor Ilmar Reepalu (S) Area – Total 335.14 km2 (129.4 sq mi) – Land 155.56 km2 (60.1 sq mi) – Water 179.58 km2 (69.3 sq mi) Area as of January 1, 2010. Population (June 30, 2010) – Total 296,169 – Density 883.7/km2 (2,288.8/sq mi) Time zone CET (UTC+1) – Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2) Postal code ISO 3166 code SE Province Scania Municipal code 1280 Website www.malmo.se
When the first Swedish local government acts were implemented in 1863 the old City of Malmö was made one of the country's 88 city municipalities and the first city council was elected. The municipal territory has been augmented through amalgamations in 1911, 1915, 1931, 1935, 1952, 1967 and finally in 1971. In 1971 the city was also converted into a municipality of unitary type, like all others in Sweden. Malmö Municipality, however, calls itself Malmö Stad (City of Malmö) in all cases when it is legally possible. This is a decision taken by the municipal assembly. It is purely nominal and has no effect on the legal status of the municipality.
There are 8 urban areas (also called a Tätort or locality) in Malmö Municipality.
In the table the urban areas are listed according to the size of the population as of December 31, 2005. The municipal seat is in bold characters.
# Locality Population 1 Malmö 258,020 2 Oxie 9,225 3 Bunkeflostrand 6,874 4 Tygelsjö 1,862 5 Kristineberg 1,076 6 Södra Klagshamn 975 7 Vintrie 338 8 Västra Klagstorp 266
Following the 1996 City District Reform (Swedish stadsdelsreformen), Malmö Municipality is divided into the following 10 city districts (Swedish stadsdel), which manage public kindergartens, schools, and geriatric care within their geographical areas, and provide funds for local cultural and recreational activities.
Inhabitants as of January 1, 2006 Oxie 10 846 Limhamn-Bunkeflo 33 737 Rosengård 21 447 Kirseberg 13 869 Husie 18 236 Fosie 39 614 Hyllie 30 711 Södra Innerstaden 32 089 Västra Innerstaden 31 210 Centrum 38 233
The municipal legislative body of the municipality is the 61-member municipal assembly (kommunfullmäktige), elected by proportional representation for a four-year term. The assembly appoints the municipality's main governing bodies, the 11-member executive committee (kommunstyrelsen) and the 8 governing commissioners. The executive committee and the commissioners are headed by the Mayor (kommunstyrelsens ordförande).
Twin towns — sister cities
As of 2011, Malmö has town twinning treaties or treaties of co-operation signed with 12 cities. Of these, cooperation is closest with Newcastle, Tallinn, the province of Chieti and with Vaasa.
The complete list of cities is the following:
- Province of Chieti, Italy, co-operation treaty signed in 2001.
- Florence, Italy, twin towns since 1989.
- Kaliningrad, Russia, co-operation treaty
- Newcastle, United Kingdom, co-operation treaty signed in 2003.
- Port Adelaide, Australia, twin towns since 1988.
- Stralsund, Germany, twin towns since 1991.
- ^ "Statistiska centralbyrån den 1 januari 2010" (in Swedish) (Microsoft Excel). Statistics Sweden. http://www.scb.se/Statistik/MI/MI0802/2010A01/mi0802tab3_2010.xls. Retrieved 2010-08-21.
- ^ "SCB, Befolkningsstatistik 30 juni 2010" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. http://www.scb.se/Pages/TableAndChart____244147.aspx. Retrieved 2010-08-19.
- ^ Source: Malmö City Council 
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j k l "Malmö stads vänortssamarbete" (in Swedish). © 2004-2009 Malmö stad, 205 80 Malmö, Organisationsnummer: 212000-1124. http://www.malmo.se/faktaommalmopolitik/internationelltsamarbete/vanortssamarbetet.4.33aee30d103b8f15916800032874.html. Retrieved 2009-06-27.
- ^ "Kaliningrad - Partner Cities". © 2000-2006 Kaliningrad City Hall. http://www.klgd.ru/en/search/index.php?q=partner+cities&where=. Retrieved 2008-12-08. [dead link]
- ^ "SISTER CITIES & TOWNS". Newsletter of the Municipality of Swakopmund. http://webnamibia.com/download/July%202008%20Edition1.pdf=. Retrieved 2011-09-01.
Municipalities and seats of Scania County Municipalities Municipal seats Localities in Malmö Municipality, Skåne County, Sweden Localities:
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Malmö — Malmo redirects here. For the village in Nebraska, U.S., see Malmo, Nebraska. For ships named Malmö, see SS Malmö. Malmö From top left to right: Turning Torso, Malmöhus Castle, Griffin Sculpture, Kronprinsen … Wikipedia
Malmö urban area — Malmö … Wikipedia
Malmö Stadion — Location Malmö, Sweden Coordinates … Wikipedia
Malmö — Bandera … Wikipedia Español
Malmö Central Station — Location Place Malmö Municipality Malmö … Wikipedia
Malmö Tower — Malmö tower.PNG General information Town or city Malmö Country Sweden Construction started 2008 (planned) Completed … Wikipedia
Malmö shootings — Malmö shootings … Wikipedia
Malmö Lokaltrafik — (ML) is a public transport bus company operating in the municipality and city of Malmö, Sweden. On February 1, 1971 incorporated the former City of Malmö tramways (MSS) when they merged. In 1989 a completely new bus system was introduced and… … Wikipedia
Malmo — n. municipality in Sweden; city in south Sweden … English contemporary dictionary
Greater Malmö — ( sv. Stor Malmö) is the metropolitan area that includes Malmö, Sweden, and much of its surroundings. The area encompasses the south eastern part of the Scandinavian Öresund Region. According to the definition as used by Statistics Sweden and… … Wikipedia