- British baseball
The origins of the sport known as British baseball, or sometimes as Welsh baseball, date to 1892 when the governing bodies of
Englandand Walesagreed to change the name of their sport from roundersto baseball. The roots of the game date back much further and literary references to baseball and rounders date back many centuries.
Differences between the British and American games
The sport differs in a number of ways from the internationally known game of
* Delivery of the ball - The ball is thrown underarm and known (as in
cricket) as bowling, while in baseball it is delivered overhand or sidearm and called pitching.
* Number of players - There are 11 players in a team with no substitutions allowed. Baseball is played by nine players at a time, and while substitutions are allowed, a player who leaves the game may not re-enter it.
* Number of innings - Each team has 2 innings. An innings ends when all 11 players are either dismissed or stranded on base.
* Bases – the bases are poles rather than cushions.
* Bat – the bat has a flat striking surface, where in baseball it is entirely round.
* The Scoring System - In British baseball a player scores a run for every base he reaches after hitting the ball. He or she will not subsequently score when moving around the bases on another player's hit. The equivalent of a
home runscores four runs. As in cricketa bonus run can be awarded for excessively-wide deliveries. In baseball, a player scores a run only on a successful circuit of all four bases, whether on his own or another player's hit.
Despite these similarities with cricket, the game is much more like
baseballin style and operates on a near identical, but smaller, diamond. There are also many similarities to rounders, which is often considered a transitional game between cricket and baseball. The basic concepts of British baseball cross-blend the basic concepts of cricket and the more standard versions of rounders.
International Baseball Board
The International Baseball Board was founded in 1927 and is the international governing body. The only members are the English Baseball Association and the Welsh Baseball Union.
Men's representative teams from England and Wales meet annually in an international match. The first such international game was held in Cardiff in 1908 and the centenary international was also held in Cardiff in 2008. Wales won on both occasions. As well as the full international, a similar game is held for 'B' teams and for juniors.
The game has maintained a strong following only in two areas -
Merseysidein Northwest Englandand South Wales, especially Cardiffand Newport.
By 2006 participation levels in
Liverpoolhad slumped considerably to a point where only four clubs remained active - All Saints, Anfield, Breckside and Townsend. The game in Wales is in a much healthier state and playing participation in the women's game has actually grown in recent years.
Local league and cup competitions have been organised in both countries for many years and an annual international match between England and Wales has been held since 1908. A crowd of 10,000 watched the 1948 match played at the
Cardiff Castlegrounds. Internationals were also held at Cardiff Arms Parkand Goodison Park, Liverpool. Crowds have declined in the last quarter of a century but the England-Wales match can still draw 1,000-2,000 spectators.
Welsh Baseball Union League
Premier Division teams for the 2008 season
St. Michael's Old Boys
Fairwater Social Ladies
John Arlott, ed. (1975). "The Oxford Companion to Sports and Games". Oxford University Press
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southeast/sites/sport/pages/baseball.shtml BBC Southest Wales: Baseball]
* [http://www.wlbu.co.uk/ Welsh Ladies Baseball Union]
* [http://www.weltchmedia.com/baseball.html Welsh Baseball Union]
* [http://www.welshbaseball.co.uk Welsh Baseball on the Web]
* [http://www.grangealbionbaseball.co.uk/ Grange Albion baseball club]
* [http://www.stmichaelsbaseball.com/ St. Micheal's Old Boys]
International form of game in Britain
* [http://www.bbfbaseball.com/ BBF Baseball]
* [http://www.gbbaseball.com/ Great Britain National Baseball Team]
* [http://www.sabruk.org/history/uk.html SABR UK: A brief history of UK baseball]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
British Baseball Federation — The British Baseball Federation (BBF) is the national governing body of baseball within the United Kingdom, founded in by|1987.BBF is a federated member of both the Confederation of European Baseball and the International Baseball Federation. BBF … Wikipedia
Baseball — sport imagesize=300px caption=A view of the playing field at Wrigley Field, Chicago, Illinois union= nickname= first= 1755 in London [ [http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3582726 America s pastime really English? Earliest reference… … Wikipedia
Baseball in the United Kingdom — Although Baseball is now considered to have originated from England in the United Kingdom [http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/SCCWebsite/sccwspages.nsf/searchresults/d6edee917b44f96a802574c1005675bb?OpenDocument] around 1755, it was many years before it… … Wikipedia
Baseball in Bolton — infobox baseball team Name =Bolton Robots of Doom Logo = League =English League Division =Division 1 North Location =Bolton, England Stadium =Ball Park at Stapelton Avenue Founded =2003 Nickname =R.O.D. LeagueChamps = Series = SeriesChamps =… … Wikipedia
Baseball awards — Professional baseball leagues and amateur baseball organizations around the world, various sportswriting associations, and other interested groups confer awards on various baseball teams, players, managers, coaches, executives, broadcasters, and… … Wikipedia
Baseball bei den Olympischen Spielen — Baseball gehört seit 1992 zu den Olympischen Sportarten, hatte aber schon vorher mehrfach olympische Auftritte als Demonstrationssportart. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Baseball bei den Olympischen Sommerspielen — Baseball gehört seit 1992 zu den Olympischen Sportarten, hatte aber schon vorher mehrfach olympische Auftritte als Demonstrationssportart. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Baseball — Fédération internationale IBAF (fondée en 1938) Sport olympique depuis 1992 à 2008 (sport de démonstration en 1984 et … Wikipédia en Français
Baseball Stars 2 — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Baseball Stars 2 Desarrolladora(s) Eikichi Kawasaki y el equipo Distribuidora(s) SNK (Arcade) / Romstar (NES) Productor(es) Miki, Y. Kawase … Wikipedia Español
British Columbia — Colombie Britannique (French) … Wikipedia