Convention Industry Council
The Convention Industry Council (CIC) is a non-profit federation of leading U.S. and international organizations involved in the meetings, conventions and exhibitions industry. CIC’s member organizations represent more than 103,500 individuals and 17,300 firms or properties across all sectors of the industry.
Formed by organizations seeking to enhance the meetings, conventions, and exhibitions industry, CIC facilitates the exchange of information, develops programs to promote professionalism within the industry, and educates the public on its profound econofor leadership to productively and cohesively move it forward.
The Convention Liaison Council was founded in New York in 1949 by four organizations – American Society of Association Executives (ASAE); American Hotel and Motel Association (AH&MA); Hospitality Sales & Marketing Association International (HSMAI); and International Association of Convention and Visitor Bureaus (IACVB). In 2000, the organization changed its name to the Convention Industry Council. In the 58 years since its inception, CIC has grown to include 32 member organizations. CIC is currently headquartered in Washington, DC.
The Convention Industry Council's most notable programs include:
- The Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) program recognizes individuals who have achieved the industry's highest standard of professionalism. Established in 1985, the CMP program was developed to increase the proficiency of meeting professionals in all segments of the industry. The requirements for certification are based on professional experience and an academic examination.
- The Accepted Practices Exchange (APEX), an initiative spearheaded by CIC, is uniting the entire meetings, conventions and exhibitions industry in the development and implementation of voluntary standards. Over 5,600 industry professionals have been involved in the development of APEX. Its mission is to bring together all stakeholders in developing and implementing accepted practices to create and enhance efficiencies throughout the industry.
- Since 1985, CIC has honored the industry’s outstanding leaders and innovators through its Hall of Leaders initiative. CIC member organizations and the industry community submit nominations to a blue-ribbon committee appointed by CIC, which then selects the award recipients. A video tribute to each inductee is placed permanently on display at the Hall of Leaders Recognition Pavilion housed within the Washington Convention Center. Additionally, a bronze plaque bearing the recipient’s name is displayed at McCormick Place in Chicago. A gala ceremony marks the induction.
- Association of Collegiate Conference and Events Directors-International (ACCED-I)
- AMC Institute – Formerly IAAMC
- Alliance of Meeting Management Companies (AMMC)
- American Hotel & Lodging Association (AH&LA)
- American Society of Association Executives and the Center for Executive Leadership (ASAE)
- Association for Convention Operations Management (ACOM)
- Association of Destination Management Executives (ADME)
- Council of Engineering and Scientific Society Executives (CESSE)
- Center for Exhibition Industry Research (CEIR)
- Destination Marketing Association International (DMAI) – Formerly IACVB
- Exhibit Designers and Producers Association (EDPA)
- Exhibition Services & Contractors Association (ESCA)
- Financial & Insurance Conference Planners (FICP)
- Healthcare Convention and Exhibitors Association (HCEA)
- Hospitality Sales and Marketing Association International (HSMAI)
- International Association of Venue Managers (IAVM)
- International Association of Conference Centers (IACC)
- International Association for Exhibitions and Events (IAEE) – Formerly IAEM
- International Association of Protocol Consultants (IAPC)
- International Association of Speakers Bureaus (IASB)
- International Congress and Convention Association (ICCA)
- International Special Events Society (ISES)
- Meeting Professionals International (MPI)
- National Association of Catering Executives (NACE)
- National Coalition of Black Meeting Planners (NCBMP)
- National Speakers Association (NSA)
- Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA)
- Religious Conference Management Association (RCMA)
- Society of Government Meeting Professionals (SGMP)
- Society of Incentive and Travel Executives (SITE)
- Trade Show Exhibitors Association (TSEA)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Convention on Psychotropic Substances — The Convention allows only medical and scientific uses of Schedule I drugs. Signed February 21, 1971 Location Vienna Effective August 16, 1976 Condition 4 … Wikipedia
Council Muslim League — Pakistan This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Pakistan … Wikipedia
Convention Muslim League — Pakistan This article is part of the series: Politics and government of Pakistan … Wikipedia
Convention for the Protection of the Marine Environment of the North-East Atlantic — The official logo of the OSPAR Convention The Convention for the Protection of the Marine Environment of the North East Atlantic or OSPAR Convention is the current legislative instrument regulating international cooperation on environmental… … Wikipedia
Meeting and convention planner — A meeting and convention planner supervises and coordinates the strategic, operational and logistical activities necessary for the production of events. The planner can be employed or hired ad hoc by corporations, associations, governments, and… … Wikipedia
International Congress and Convention Association — The International Congress and Convention Association (ICCA) was founded in 1963 by a group of travel agents to exchange information on international congresses and conventions.ICCA, headquartered in Amsterdam, the Netherlands, is a not for… … Wikipedia
Business and Industry Review — ▪ 1999 Introduction Overview Annual Average Rates of Growth of Manufacturing Output, 1980 97, Table Pattern of Output, 1994 97, Table Index Numbers of Production, Employment, and Productivity in Manufacturing Industries, Table (For Annual… … Universalium
Mandaue City Council — The Mandaue City Council or Sanguniang Panlungsod (SP) is a governing body of Mandaue City. It is composed of 10 elected members as City Councilors. And 2 other members being the President of the Association of the Barangay Council (ABC) and the… … Wikipedia
Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs — Infobox Treaty name = Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs long name = image width = 200px caption = Governments of opium producing Parties are required to purchase and take physical possession of such crops as soon as possible after harvest to… … Wikipedia
Canadian Meat Council — The Canadian Meat Council (CMC) is Canada s national trade association for the federally inspected red meat packers and processors. It is an industry trade group associated with the meat packing industry. Federally inspected plants account for… … Wikipedia