Gupta Technologies, LLC, taken over by Unify Corporation in 2006 was a software development company whose principal products were the SQL relational database SQLBase, and a Rapid application development system called Team Developer (also known as SQLWindows). The company is considered as the provider of the world's first client/server relational database software that would run on Personal Computers (PC) rather than Mini Computers.
The company was founded in 1984 by Umang Gupta, a former Vice President and General Manager of the Microcomputer Products Division at Oracle Corporation. Gupta's first product was SQLBase, followed by SQLWindows, which combined SQLBase with a graphical user interface and programming language for creating business applications. SQLWindows was one of the first GUI development tools for Microsoft Windows. The company went public in 1993 (NASDAQ: GPTA).
The name of the company was changed to Centura Software in the late 1990s. In February 2001 Centura was taken over by the Platinum Equity investment company. Centura Software filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy in August 2001, and the United States Securities and Exchange Commission revoked the registration of Centura's common stock in December 2004 . After the bankruptcy, some assets were kept by a reborn Gupta Technologies LLC. In January 2005 Gupta Technologies, LLC was bought by another investor, Warp Technology Holdings, Inc. In May 2005 the company changed its name to Halo Technology Holdings, Inc. In September 2006 the company was acquired by Unify Corporation. In June 2010 Unify announced its merger with Daegis, a US company that provides software for electronic discovery in litigation matters.
Gupta/Centura's headquarters were in Redwood Shores, California.
Business development and markets
In the middle of the 1990s Gupta achieved a worldwide business volume about 60 million US Dollar with 500 employees. Since then the development regresses. Unify employs only about 70 people, who run, apart from Gupta, a number of other lines of product and service. The overall revenue from software licences was 4.4 million US Dollar in 2007. Most clients use the Team Developer 4GL development environment with other relational databases. In the workgroup segment and in mobile applications Gupta’s own database SQLBase is used quite often. SQLBase is targeted towards small PC applications and handheld devices such as handheld PCs. Since Unify took over Gupta Technologies, many new product versions of SQLBase and Team Developer have been released.
New SQLBase product releases since Unify Corporation took over Gupta Technologies
- SQLBase 11.0, brings new locking and multi-user features to improve user concurrency through new Read Committed isolation level that can read through x-locks, support for Windows Vista and Linux
- SQLBase 11.5, features a new multi processing cache manager and a new graphical DBA tool SQLBase Command Center
- SQLBase 11.6, support for up to 1,000 columns per table, wider char (900 characters) and nchar fields (450 characters), roles implementation, SQLBase Command Center provides new performance and database issue analysis features
New Team Developer product releases since Unify Corporation took over Gupta Technologies
- Team Developer 5.1, introduces new GUI themes for applications look & feel like Office 2007, new controls like date picker and datetime picker
- Team Developer 5.2, new controls like a new grid with many new cell types, new tab control, new rich text control, report watermarks
- Team Developer 6.0, released in fall 2010, introduces a new .NET compiler, allowing for .NET WPF Desktop and WPF Browser applications
- ^ James R. Groff and Paul N. Weinberg, SQL: The Complete Reference, Second Edition, 2002 McGraw-Hill/Osborne. Appendix B
- ^ ORDER INSTITUTING PROCEEDINGS, MAKING FINDINGS, AND REVOKING REGISTRATION OF SECURITIES PURSUANT TO SECTION 12(j) OF THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934 Admin. Proc. File No. 3-11753
- ^ published financial statements
- ^ Annual report on the Unify web site
- Biography of Umang Gupta
- Interview of Umang Gupta - Chair PAN-IIT USA
- Umang Gupta as Keynote Speaker at Velocity - a Web Conference
- Unify Corporation Website (including links to product documentation)
- Order suspending trade in Gupta stock
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Gupta Technologies — Gupta Technologies, LLC была компанией разработчиком программного обеспечения. Её главные продукты: реляционная система управления базами данных (СУБД) SQLBase, и система быстрой разработки приложений (RAD) под названием Team Developer (также… … Википедия
Gupta Technologies — Gupta Technologies, seit 2006 im Besitz von Unify Corporation, ist der allgemein bekannte Name eines 1984 gegründeten Unternehmens, welches Datenbankmanagementsysteme (DBMS) und Entwicklungsumgebungen entwickelt. In den 90er Jahren lautete der… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Gupta — (Sanskrit: Geheimnis) steht für: Gupta, eine indische Dynastie, siehe Gupta Reich Gupta Technologies, ein amerikanisches Softwareunternehmen Gupta Team Developer, eine Entwicklungsumgebung Gupta Team Object Manager, ein Source Code Managing… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Gupta — may refer to: *Gupta (name)In ancient India*Gupta Empire *Gupta script, the script used for writing Sanskrit during the Gupta Empire in India *Maharaja Sri Gupta *Ghatotkacha (Gupta Ruler), father of Chandragupta I *Chandragupta I, first Gupta… … Wikipedia
Gupta Team Developer — Team Developer (auch TD) ist ein Computerprogramm von Unify Corporation zur Softwareentwicklung. Es handelt sich um eine integrierte Entwicklungsumgebung, die mittels Visueller Programmierung das Prototyping (Softwareentwicklung) ermöglicht. Das… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Umang Gupta — (* in Patiala, Punjab) ist ein indisch US amerikanischer Unternehmer. 1971 erlangte er am Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur seinen Bachelor für chemische Verfahrenstechnik und im folgenden Jahr seinen MBA an der Kent State University in Ohio … Deutsch Wikipedia
Amar Gupta — is an endowed professor of entrepreneurship, management and organizations, computer science, and Latin American studies at the University of Arizona. He teaches a select group of interdisciplinary students at the University of Arizona s Eller… … Wikipedia
Micro Technologies (India) Ltd — Micro Technologies (India) Ltd. Your Security is our Concern Type Public Traded as BSE: 532494 … Wikipedia
Agilent Technologies — Type Public S P 500 Component Traded as NYSE: A … Wikipedia
Arjun Gupta — Infobox Celebrity name = Arjun Gupta image size = 250px Arjun Gupta (born in India) is a successful venture capitalist in the Silicon Valley. He was ranked in the Top 100 Technology Venture Investors on the… … Wikipedia