The O.C. Supertones
The O.C. Supertones Also known as The Orange County Supertones, The Supertones Origin California, United States Genres Christian ska
Third wave ska
Years active 1995–2005
Labels Tooth & Nail Records Website OCSupertones.com Past members Matt "Mojo" Morginsky
Kevin "Slim" Chen
Jordan "Pubertystache" Stroup
Jason Joel Lautenschleger
The Orange County Supertones (a.k.a. The O.C. Supertones a.k.a. The Supertones) is a Christian ska band hailing from Orange County, California. The band was signed to Tooth & Nail Records before becoming an independent band for its final tour. The OC Supertones were one of the first widely successful Christian ska bands.
The band began in the early 1990s as Saved. Originally formed by Matt Morginsky, Jason Carson and Tony Terusa while in Junior High School, the band played a mix of many styles including punk, rap, metal, disco, and funk. In 1995 they formed as The Orange County Supertones and settled on a ska based sound, similar to Operation Ivy or Mike Park's Skankin' Pickle. Although drummer Jason Carson had known Tooth & Nail founder Brandon Ebel for years, the label was reluctant to sign them. As characterized by Ebel: "The Supertones were good, but Saved was not good. I had years of Saved in my head."
The Supertones' debut release, Adventures of the O.C. Supertones, received a 1997 Dove nomination for the "Alternate / Modern Rock" category. Their second album, 1997's release Supertones Strike Back, was a surprise smash hit, peaking on both Billboard's Heatseekers and Top Christian Albums charts at #3 and #2 respectively. In the fall of 1997 the Supertones headlined a tour with Ghoti Hook and Stavesacre, and the next spring opened for Audio Adrenaline, with whom they recorded a duet, "Blitz," on the Audio Adrenaline album Some Kind of Zombie, also in 1997.
Beginning with a more traditional ska sound, The Supertones moved next to a harder rock sound, which eventually changed again with more of a pop-rock influence. The band explained the musical evolution to CCM: "pop culture has the attention span of a flea... ska's time in the white-hot spotlight has come and gone." When saxophonist Dave Chevalier joined The Dingees in 1998, the band made the decision not to replace his poisition. Rap and R&B influences also became more prevalent in their sound, which remained "about 40 percent reminiscent of the older stuff." Their next two albums, 1999's Chase the Sun and 2000's Loud and Clear, each charted on the Billboard 200 chart.
"The Supertones' main message is Christ and Him crucified. We want to help people understand certain doctrinal truths." —Matt Morginsky in 1997.
Lyrically, they were known as having a straightforward approach to songwriting, with a minimal use of metaphor. Even so, their songs were cited as being thought-provoking and containing deep theology. One of the major focuses for the band was evangelism; they included segments of preaching in each performance. Originally these were fronted by drummer Jason Carson, who had been active in youth ministry before the Supertones found their break. In 2000 when he went back into ministry full time the band split the responsibilities among remaining members. Adam Ferry, formerly of Plankeye, took Carson's spot on drums.
They continued to release albums until 2005, when they announced plans to break up. The band released Unite, a greatest hits compilation, and played their last show at Biola University in La Mirada, California on October 7, 2005. Former members Jason Carson, Darren Mettler and Tony Terusa re-joined the band on stage for three songs. Kevin "Slim" Chen was on hand but did not play with the band. The Supertones played for 21⁄2 hours at their final show, playing close to 30 songs.
Post break up
On March 11, 2008 BEC Recordings, Inc. released "The Ultimate Collection," a sort of greatest hits album with select songs from each of the bands studio albums, with the exception of "Revenge of the O.C. Supertones," which has no tracks represented.
On February 12, 2008 former Supertones guitarist Ethan Luck became the newest member playing drums for the Christian pop-punk band, Relient K.
Former front man Matt Morginsky released his debut solo album, "Doctorate in Cold Rockin' It" under the moniker Mojo & the Info via iTunes and MySpace on April 20, 2008. He now sings in the Ska/Rock band "Mojo and October Light".
Former guitarist Kevin "Slim" Chen now plays in the rock/pop punk band "New Liars Club" with former members of Gameface and the rock band Follow Your Failure.
Ex-Drummer Jason Carson is now a youth pastor at Mission Hills Community Church
Their 2010 tour included fifteen concerts, including Joshua Fest in Quincy, CA, Soulfest in New Hampshire and Spirit West Coast in Del Mar, CA. Along with the tour, they released the album called Reunite, a recompilation of their past work.
- Matt Morginsky - vocals (1995–2005)
- Daniel Spencer - trombone (1997–2005)
- Ethan Luck - guitar (2000–2005)
- John Wilson - drums (2001–2005)
- Chris Beaty (Formerly of Seven Day Jesus) - bass guitar (2003–2005)
- Bret Barker (Formerly of The W's) - trumpet (2004–2005)
- Kevin "Slim" Chen - guitar (1995–1997)
- Jason Carson - drums (1995–2000)
- Tony "Toneman" Terusa - bass guitar (1995–2002)
- Darren "Chief" Mettler - trumpet (1995–2004)
- Jason Joel Lautenschleger - saxophone (1996–1997)
- Dave Chevalier - saxophone (1996–1998)
- Brian "Bronson" Johnson - guitar (1999)
- Adam Ferry - drums (2000–2001)
- Bram Roberts (From the Insyderz) - trumpet (Summer 2002)
- Adventures of the O.C. Supertones (1996)
- Supertones Strike Back (1997)
- Chase the Sun (1999)
- Loud and Clear (2000)
- Live! Volume One (2002)
- Hi-Fi Revival (2002)
- Revenge of the O.C. Supertones (2004)
- Unite (2005)
- Faith of a Child (2005)
- The O.C. Supertones: The Ultimate Collection (2008)
- Re-Unite (2010)
- Any Given Day
- Veggie Rocks!
- Tooth and Nail 4th anniversary Box Set
- Tooth and Nail 10th anniversary Box Set
- Art Core Vol.2
- Cheapskates Vol. 2
- Cheapskates Vol. 3
- Cheapskates Vol. 4
- X 2003
- Moms Like Us Too Vol. 1
- Happy Christmas Vol. 1
- Happy Christmas Vol. 2
- Seltzer Vol. 1
- Seltzer Vol. 3
- WOW 1999
- WOW 2000
- Dominate in 98
- Steady Sounds From The Underground
- BEC Sampler Vol. 1
- Songs from the penalty box Vol. 2
- No Lies
Billboard (North America) 
Year Album US Hot 200 US Heatseekers Top Contemporary Christian 1996 The Adventures of the O.C. Supertones - - 36 1997 The Adventures of the O.C. Supertones - - 35 1997 Supertones Strike Back 117 3 2 1999 Chase the Sun 95 - 2 2000 Loud and Clear 168 9 10 2002 Hi-Fi Revival - - 28 2002 Live! Vol. 1 - - 20 2004 Revenge of the O.C. Supertones - - 17
- Supertones at the Movies
- Hi-Fi Revival DVD
- See Spot Rock
- ^ a b http://www.allmusic.com/artist/p210529
- ^ Allmusic bio
- ^ a b c Powell, Mark Allan (2002). Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Music (First printing ed.). Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers. pp. 902–904. ISBN 1-56563-679-1.
- ^ "Profile - The Supertones". 10 1999. http://www.christianbook.com/html/authors/3541.html. Retrieved 2007-02-15.
- ^ Bonham, Chad (May / June 1998). "Tooth & Nail". 7ball (18): 22–25. ISSN 1082-3980.
- ^ Todd, Darleen (Winter 1998). "A Ska Primer". True Tunes News: 12–14.
- ^ a b Urbanski, David (July 1997). "One Crazy Summer". CCM Magazine 20 (1): 24–32. ISSN 1524-7848.
- ^ Newcomb, Brian Quincy (April 1999). "Pope Visits St. Louis". CCM Magazine 21 (10): 12–13. ISSN 1524-7848.
- ^ a b c Carlozo, Lou (February 1999). "Super Tone Deaf". CCM Magazine 21 (8). ISSN 1524-7848. Quote by Brandon Ebel.
- ^ Carlozo, Lou (November 2000). "A Year of Kryptonite". CCM Magazine 23 (5): 56–58. ISSN 1524-7848.
- ^ a b "((( The O.C. Supertones > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))". Allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/p210529/charts-awards. Retrieved 2007-02-15.
- ^ Brown, Bruce A. (July / August 1997). "super tones". 7ball (13): 12–14. ISSN 1082-3980.
- ^ Hill, Don (1996). "Reviews / Adventures of the O.C. Supertones". Cornerstone 25 (109): 58. ISSN 0275-2743.
- ^ "Life in the Fast Lane". CCM Magazine 20 (4): 13. October 1997. ISSN 1524-7848.
- ^ Hendrickson, Lucas W. (June 1996). "On Tour: The Supertones / Switchfoot / Relient K, 328 Performance Hall, Nashville, TN". CCM Magazine 23 (12): 47. ISSN 1524-7848.
- ^ "Hard News'". HM Magazine (87): 12. January / February 2001. ISSN 1066-6923.
- ^ archive of Supertones Official Web Site originally Supertones Official Web Site
- Official Website
- The O.C. Supertones Official Facebook Page
- The O.C. Supertones Wordpress
- The O.C. Supertones MySpace
- Tooth and Nail Records
- BEC Recordings
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The O.C. Supertones — Datos generales Origen California, Estados Unidos Información artística Alias The Orange County Supertones, The Supertones … Wikipedia Español
The O.C. Supertones — war eine christliche Ska Punk Band aus Orange County in Kalifornien (USA). O.C. steht für Orange County, meistens wurde die Band jedoch der Einfachheit halber als Supertones bezeichnet. Sie war von 1995 bis 2005 aktiv. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1… … Deutsch Wikipedia
The O. C. Supertones — The O.C. Supertones war eine christliche Ska Punk Band aus Orange County in Kalifornien (USA). O.C. steht für Orange County, meistens wurde die Band jedoch der Einfachheit halber als Supertones bezeichnet. Sie war von 1995 bis 2005 aktiv.… … Deutsch Wikipedia
The Ultimate Collection (The O.C. Supertones album) — Infobox Album Name = The Ultimate Collection | Artist = The O.C. Supertones Type = Greatest hits Released = March 11, 2008 Recorded = 1996 2005 Genre = Third wave ska| Length = Label = Tooth Nail Producer = Reviews = * Jesus Freak Hideout… … Wikipedia
Unite (The O.C. Supertones album) — Infobox Album | Name = Unite Type = Compilation Artist = The O.C. Supertones Released = 2005 Recorded = Genre = Third Wave Ska Length = Label = BEC Recordings Producer = Reviews = * Jesus Freak Hideout… … Wikipedia
Chase the Sun (The O.C. Supertones album) — Chase the Sun Studio album by The O.C. Supertones Released February 23, 1999 Genre … Wikipedia
Adventures of the O.C. Supertones — Infobox Album | Name = Adventures of the O.C. Supertones Type = Album Artist = The O.C. Supertones Released = April 24, 1997 Recorded = Genre = Third Wave Ska Length = Label = Tooth and Nail Records Producer = Reviews = * Jesus Freak Hideout… … Wikipedia
Revenge of the O.C. Supertones — Infobox Album | Name = Revenge of the O.C. Supertones Type = Album Artist = The O.C. Supertones Released = June 15, 2004 Recorded = Dark Horse Nashville, Tennessee Genre = Third Wave Ska Length = Label = BEC Recordings Producer = Mark Lee… … Wikipedia
Supertones — The O.C. Supertones war eine christliche Ska Punk Band aus Orange County in Kalifornien (USA). O.C. steht für Orange County, meistens wurde die Band jedoch der Einfachheit halber als Supertones bezeichnet. Sie war von 1995 bis 2005 aktiv.… … Deutsch Wikipedia
The Insyderz — sind eine christliche Ska Punk Band aus Detroit in Michigan (USA). Die Band war seit 1995 aktiv, bevor sie sich 2005 auflöste und 2009 wiedervereinigte. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Bandgeschichte 2 Musikstil 3 Diskografie … Deutsch Wikipedia