- McMillan Island
McMillan Island Native name: Sqwàlets Geography Location Fraser River, in SW British Columbia Coordinates  Area 1.78 km2 (0.687 sq mi) CountryCanada Province British Columbia Largest city McMillan Island 6 (Indian Reservation) (pop. 63) Demographics Population 63 (as of 2006) Density 38 /km2 (98 /sq mi) Ethnic groups Kwantlen First Nation
It is composed primarily of settled silt and debris from the Frser River and shaped by the erosive power of the river. Geologically it was (10000 years ago) a peninsula on the shore of what is now Maple Ridge. Erosion wore down the peninsula until it became an island, although one much larger than the current McMillan Island. Once there was a channel worn between this large island and the mainland, the water flow slowed and silt and debris settled on the south side of the island, eventually connecting it to what is now Fort Langley. The water eventually broke a small section of the original island off, resulting in the current McMillan Island.
There is a bridge across the Bedford Channel to the island along Glover Road, the main road through both Fort Langley and McMillan Island. There are several docks on the island, including the docks from the former Albion Ferry. There are very few buildings on the island. Those that are there include approximately 22 dwellings and the Kwantlan Nation's Band Office.
The island is a part of the Kwantlen First Nation's traditional territory.
As of the 2006 census, the island has a population of 63 persons - up from 59 in the 2001 census. The majority of the population (85%) are part of the Kwantlen First Nation, because the entire island is covered by McMillan Island Reserve No. 6. This reserve belongs to the Kwantlen First Nation.
- ^ "BC Geographical Naming". http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/bcgn-bin/bcg10?name=20603. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- ^ a b c "McMillan Island 2006 Census Profile". BC Stats. http://www.bcstats.gov.bc.ca/data/cen06/profiles/detailed/59015816.pdf. Retrieved 2010-01-16.
- ^ "Formation of Fraser River Delta". BC School District 36. http://www.sd36.bc.ca/sites/semiah/mleziva/unit6/U06L02.htm. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- ^ "Geography - Fort Langley". Tourism BC. http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/Geography/Fort-Langley.htm. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- ^ "Community Profile". Statistics Canada. http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recensement/2006/dp-pd/prof/92-591/details/Page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=CSD&Code1=5915816&Geo2=PR&Code2=59&Data=Count&SearchText=British%20Columbia&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=01&B1=All&Custom=. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- ^ "Connectivity Profile". Indian and Northern Affairs Canada. http://www.aboriginalcanada.gc.ca/abdt/apps/connectivitysurvey.nsf/vAllCProfile_en/2176.html. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- ^ "Albion Ferry to Cease Operation". Translink. http://www.translink.ca/en/About-TransLink/Media/2009/March/Albion-Ferry-to-cease-operation-July-31-2009.aspx. Retrieved 2010-01-16.
- ^ "Reserve/Settlement/Village Detail". Indian and Northern Affairs Canada. http://pse5-esd5.ainc-inac.gc.ca/FNP/Main/Search/RVDetail.aspx?RESERVE_NUMBER=08034&lang=e. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Island Angel — Infobox Album Name = Island Angel Type = Album Artist = Altan Released = July 1993 Recorded = Windmill Lane Studios, Dublin, Ireland, July 1993 Genre = Celtic Length = 45:21 Label = Green Linnet Producer = Brian Masterson and Altan Reviews = *… … Wikipedia
McMillan Provincial Park — 800 Jahre alte Douglasie im Cathedral Grove Cathedral Grove ist der Name, unter dem der MacMillan Provincial Park auf Vancouver Island bekannt ist. Er umfasst eine Fläche von 157 ha, soll aber 2007 um weitere 144 ha vergrößert werden. Der Park … Deutsch Wikipedia
James McMillan (fur trader) — James McMillan (1783–1858) was a fur trader and explorer for the North West Company and Hudson s Bay Company. He led some of the earliest surveys of the lower Fraser River and founded Fort Langley for the HBC in 1827, and was its first Chief… … Wikipedia
Angus McMillan (politician) — Angus McMillan (October 29 1817 ndash; March 13 1906) was a Scottish born merchant and political figure in Prince Edward Island. He represented 5th Prince in the Legislative Assembly of Prince Edward Island from 1868 to 1872, from 1876 to 1882… … Wikipedia
Thomas Michael McMillan — Thomas Michael Tom McMillan, PC (born October 15 1945) in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada is a Canadian political scientist and former politician. McMillan was first elected to the Canadian House of Commons in the 1979 general… … Wikipedia
Axel Heiberg Island — Infobox Islands name = Axel Heiberg image caption = Closeup of Axel Heiberg Island image size = locator map custom = native name = native name link = Inuktikut nickname = location = Northern Canada coordinates =… … Wikipedia
Axel Heiberg Island — Satelliten Fotomontage der Insel Gewässer Arktischer Ozean … Deutsch Wikipedia
Barnston Island (British Columbia) — Location map Vancouver lon dir = W lat dir = N lat deg = 49 lat min = 11 lat sec = 38 lon deg = 122 lon min = 42 lon sec = 11 caption = Location of Barnston Island in Metro Vancouver width = 220Barnston Island is an unincorporated island located… … Wikipedia
Frew McMillan — País Sudáfrica Residencia Bristol, Inglaterra Fecha de nacimiento 20 de mayo de 1942 … Wikipedia Español
Karl-Alexander Island — Russian: Остров Карла Александра Location of Karl Alexander Island in the Franz Josef Archipelago. Geography Location … Wikipedia