] reducing the risk of whiplash. In the U.S., the inclusion of the rear Pre-Crash system is pending FCC regulatory approval. [cite web|url=http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2007/02/01/8398972/?postversion=2007021507|title=Business 2.0 What's cool: The self-parking Lexus LS 460L|accessdate=2007-02-01|last=Tayman|first=John|publisher=CNNMoney.com|date=2006-03-15]
On the fourth generation Lexus LS, standard active safety features also include electronically controlled braking (ECB), anti-lock brakes (ABS), and traction control (TRAC). The stability/traction control system, Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM), incorporates ECB, electric brake force distribution; related systems include Vehicle Stability Control, Adaptive Variable Suspension, and the Variable Gear Ratio Steering systems. VDIM integrates these systems to improve vehicle responsiveness to driver input and prevent loss of control.
Passive safety features include eight to ten standard
airbags(depending on model, up to eleven with upgraded rear seats), [cite web|url=http://www.autosite.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_page_order_int/5/article_id_int/2079 |title=2007 Lexus LS 460 First Drive|accessdate=2007-04-08|format=HTML|publisher=AutoSite|date=2006] passenger detection systems, front and rear crumple zones, three-point seatbelts with pretensioners and force limiters, and a reinforced steelbody. [cite web|url=http://www.ameinfo.com/109700.html|title=Lexus LS460 into Saudi|accessdate=2007-04-08|format=HTML|publisher=AMEInfo.com|date=2007-02-05] Dual-stage driver and twin-chambered front passenger airbags, full-length side curtain airbags, front knee airbags, and Thorax-Abdomen-Pelvis (TAP) airbags are also installed.
LS series variants
Different models based on the standard (USF40) and long wheelbase (USF41) platforms are sold worldwide. From 2007, rear-wheel drive is offered with the 4.6 L gasoline powered V8, and all-wheel drive is featured with the 5.0 L hybrid V8. All-wheel drive was added to non-hybrid models for 2009 with the addition of front passenger memory function. Some markets receive a modified 4.6 L V8 engine without direct injection. The standard (UVF45) and long wheelbase (UVF46) hybrid models feature a two-stage planetary-gear continuously variable transmission (CVT).
For the 2009 model year, the LS 600h L was produced in a 50-unit "Pebble Beach Edition" in partnership with the
Pebble Beach Company, operator of the namesake golf courses and resorts. These vehicles featured Pebble Beach badging and tags, a two-tone interior, and the choice of a travel or merchandise package. [cite web|url=http://wot.motortrend.com/6284294/auto-news/2009-lexus-ls-600h-l-pebble-beach-edition-joins-sixth-sc/index.html|title=2009 Lexus LS 600h L Pebble Beach Edition joins sixth SC|date=2008-08-17|publisher=Motor Trend|accessdate=2008-06-21] The special edition was first shown at the 2008 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.
Specialty department store
Neiman Marcusoffered 100 individually-numbered LS 600h L "Launch Edition" sedans for early 2007, available only through the Neiman Marcus catalog for InCircle members. These special models came in an exclusive Truffle Mica color with Alabaster interior.
The LS 400 UCF20 I model was produced in a 1997 "Coach edition" limited to several hundred units. These models, produced in partnership with American leather manufacturer
Coach Inc., [Rechtin, Mark. (1995-03-15). Once Again, Lexus Links with Coach Leather. "Automotive News", March 15, 1999, p.24] featured Coach leather seats, embroidered emblems on the exterior, armrest, and floormats, special colors and added trim, and a Coach cabin bag.
The Lexus LF-Sh concept previewed the appearance of the fourth generation USF40/USF41 design of the Lexus LS. This concept vehicle debuted at the 2005
Tokyo Motor Show. [cite web|url=http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_shows/tokyo/0511_lexus_ls/index.html|title=Lexus LF-Sh Concept|date=2005|publisher="Automobile Magazine"|accessdate=2008-05-28] The designation refers to "Lexus Future-Sedan hybrid", and the vehicle took the form of a hybrid standard wheelbase sedan model with LEDheadlamps.
A specialized Lexus LS 460 is used in a warehouse-sized driving simulator at Toyota's "Higashifuji Technical Center" in
Shizuoka, Japan. This vehicle is mounted inside a 4.5 x 7.0 meter high dome, and surrounded by a 360° projector screen.cite web|url=http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=4146324&fSectionId=751&fSetId=381|title='World's biggest Playstation' tests safety systems|date=2007-11-26|publisher=Motoring.co.za|last=Kageyama|first=Yuri|accessdate=2008-05-28] This setup is used to simulate the audiovisual and vibration aspects of driving, which are then transmitted to a strut/track-mounted driver occupant dome containing the forward cabin of an LS 460. The occupant dome simulates vehicle motion. The driving simulator is used for testing and development of automotive safety features.
Since its debut, the Lexus LS has received numerous awards, including the following categories:
* Reliability and quality. The Lexus LS has won the J.D. Power award for "Best High-end Luxury Sedan" 13 years in a row, the most for any manufacturer, in the long-term Vehicle Dependability Study. [cite web|url=http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.aspx?ID=2007130|title=J.D. Power and Associates 2007 Vehicle Dependability Study|date=2006-08-09|format=HTML|accessdate=2007-08-09|publisher=
J.D. Power and Associates] The Lexus LS has also been the highest-ranked luxury sedan in J.D. Power's Initial Quality Survey for 10 consecutive years. [cite web|url=http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2004037|title=J.D. Power and Associates 2004 Initial Quality Study|accessdate=2007-04-08|format=HTML|publisher=J.D. Power|date=2004-04-08] In 2006, " Consumer Reports" awarded the Lexus LS with a repeat ranking as the most reliable vehicle in the luxury car class, and for vehicles overall.cite web|url=http://www.cars.com/go/crp/buyingGuides/Story.jsp?section=Luxury&story=luxReliable2006&subject=stories&referer=&year=New|title=Finding and Keeping a Reliable Luxury Car|accessdate=2007-04-08|last=Palmer|first=Beth |format=HTML|publisher=Cars.com|date=2006-02-11]
* Safety and security. In 2007, "
Auto Bild" recognized the LS 460 Pre-Collision system with its 2007 Innovation Prize, [cite web|url=http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=192479 |title="Auto 1" Awards, Auto Bild Group|accessdate=2007-04-08|format=HTML|publisher= Auto Bild|date=2007-03-07] finding that its active safety features surpassed the rival Mercedes-Benz S-Class. [cite web|url=http://www.autobild.de/test/neuwagen/artikel.php?artikel_id=12920|title=Auto Bild Safety Comparison LS460 vs. S550|accessdate=2007-04-09|publisher= Auto Bild|language=German|date=2006-12-05|format=HTML] "Kiplinger's" named the 2006 LS 430 as "Best in Safety for Cars $40,000 and Over." In 2001, UK insurance centre Thatcham awarded the LS 430 with its only 5-star theft-deterrence ratings; [cite web|url=http://www.nurs.co.uk/news/briefs/briefs_5stars170204.html|title=5-star elite of car security|publisher=Norwich Union Risk Services|format=HTML|date=2004-02-14|accessdate=2007-04-09] from 2002-2005, the LS 430 topped the " What Car?" Security Supertest with perfect 100 scores. [cite web|url=http://www.whatcar.co.uk/news-article.aspx?NA=212739|title=What Car? Security Supertest 2005|date=2004-12|publisher=What Car?|accessdate=2007-04-29]
* Advanced technology. Automotive research firm TRG found that the 2007 LS 460 offered the most advanced technological features of any vehicle available in North America. [ cite web|url=http://news.digitaltrends.com/article10425.html|last=Marchetti|first=Nino|title=TRG Proclaims Lexus LS-460 Most Techie Car|accessdate=2007-04-08|format=HTML|publisher=Digital Trends News|date=2006-05-16] The LS has won "Popular Mechanics"' Automotive Excellence and "Popular Science"'s Design and Engineering Awards. [cite web|url=http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/3871487.html?page=5|title=PM Automotive Excellence Awards 2007|accessdate=2007-04-08|format=HTML|publisher=
Popular Mechanics|date=2006-10] [cite web|url=http://www.theautochannel.com/news/press/date/20001101/press029800.html|title=Popular Mechanics Announces Winners of Design & Engineering Awards 2001|accessdate=2007-04-08|format=HTML|publisher=Autochannel/Popular Mechanics|date=2000-11-01] Citing its world's firsts, the official publication of the Society of Automotive Engineers(SAE) named the LS 460 as 2007's Best Engineered Vehicle, and CNET.com named the 2007 Lexus LS 460 L its "Tech Car of the Year." [cite web|url=http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10846_7-6673053-2.html?tag=txt|title=2006 CNET Car Tech Awards|accessdate=2007-04-08|format=HTML|publisher=CNET|date=2007]
* Best-in-class features. Edmunds.com named the LS 430's
Mark Levinsonpremium sound system as the "Best Sound System in Cars Over $30,000" in consecutive top 10 lists in 2002-2005. [cite web|url=http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/101037/article.html|title=Edmunds Top 10 Sound Systems in Cars Over $30,000|accessdate=2007-04-08|format=HTML|publisher=Edmunds.com|last=DiPietro|first=John|date=2007-04-08] Car Audio and Electronics ranked the LS ahead of its competition in the areas of audio, navigation and ergonomics. [cite web|url=http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0704_cae_luxury_car_premium_stereo/2007_lexus_sound_off.html|title=Car Audio and Electronics|accessdate=2007-11-19|format=HTML|publisher=] "Ward's Auto" named the LS 400's V8 engine to its 10 Best Engines awards lists from 1998-2000. In its 2002 luxury sedan comparison test, Automotive Marketing Consultants, Inc. found that the Lexus LS had the quietest cabin of any luxury car, with an idle reading of just 31.1 dB in the front seat.
*Value and loyalty. "
Kelley Blue Book" gave the Lexus LS its Best to Hold Value Award in 2001, 2002, and 2003. [cite web|url=http://www.carfax.com/DP_Rpt_Links/KBB_Award_Winners.cfm#2001|title=CARFAX - Kelley Blue Book-Models to Best Hold Its Value|accessdate=2007-04-08|format=HTML|publisher=Carfax|date=2001] The LS is also a repeated "Intellichoice" Best Overall Value awardee in the luxury class, and was R. L. Polk & Co.'s Polk Automotive Loyalty Award recipient from 2001 through 2005 for customer retention. [cite web|url=http://usa.polk.com/Company/Loyalty/loy_2003.htm|title=Polk Automotive Loyalty Award Winners|accessdate=2007-04-08|format=HTML|publisher=R.L. Polk & Co.]
* Luxury car. In 2007, the LS 460 was named Luxury Car of the Year at the North American International Auto Show and was selected as the Best Luxury Car at the "Fleet World" Honours.cite web|url=http://www.roadandtravel.com/awards/2007/awardsbg/awardsbg_caroftheyear.htm|title=2007 ICOTY Car of the Year|accessdate=2007-04-08|format=HTML|publisher=Road & Travel|date=2007-01-06|last=Hindes|first=Martha] [cite web|url=http://www.easier.com/view/News/Motoring/Lexus/article-116704.html|title=Lexus LS wins Best Luxury Car in Fleet World Honours|date=2007-05-18|accessdate=2007-05-18|publisher=Easier Motoring UK] In 2006, "Kiplinger's" named the Lexus LS as the best luxury car for the sixth time. [cite web|url=http://www.consumersearch.com/www/automotive/used-luxury-cars/index.html|title=ConsumerSearch Luxury Car Ratings & Reviews|publisher=ConsumerSearch|date=2006|accessdate=2007-05-15] "
Consumer Reports" named the LS as the highest-rated luxury car in 2004, 2005, and 2008. In 1989 and 2004, the Lexus LS was named as the " Car and Driver" best luxury car. [cite web|url=http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/7359/70000-luxury-sedans-page7.html|title=$70,000 Luxury Sedans - Comparison Tests, "Car & Driver", December 2003|accessdate=2007-04-08|format=HTML|publisher=Car & Driver|last=Bedard|first=Patrick|date=2003-12] Consumer Reports ranked the LS 460 L highest in the premium luxury category with 99pts out of 100, a full 13pts ahead of the S550. [cite web|url=http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20071001/pl_usnw/infiniti_m35_retains_top_spot_in_consumer_reports__tests_of_six_luxury_sedans|title=Consumer Reports Ultra-Lux Face-off, October 2007|accessdate=2007-10-01|format=HTML|publisher=Consumer Reports]
* Car of the Year. The Lexus LS has been named "Wheels" magazine’s Car of the Year,
Canadian Car of the Year, "Top Gear"'s Limousine of the Year, and Japan Car of the Year(won by both the original LS 400 and the fourth generation LS 460), among similar awards. In 2007, the LS 460 was named the planet's best automobile at the World Car of the Year(WCOTY)cite web|url=http://www.wcoty.com/media/?release=32&year=2007|title=Lexus LS 460 - 2007 World Car of the Year|accessdate=2007-04-08|format=HTML|publisher=World Car of the Year|date=2007-04-05] and International Car of the Year(ICOTY) awards.
* In early episodes of "
The Sopranos", Christopher Moltisantidrives a Lexus LS 400, which in the very first episode is used by Tony Sopranoto run down a man who owes him money.
* The LS 600h L is featured in the video game "
Test Drive Unlimited".
* 1-year Backorder. "Ward's Auto" and other media outlets have reported that the new Lexus LS 600h first year's (2007) allocation is already sold out and that there is a 1-year backorder.
* Dawson, Chester. "Lexus: The Relentless Pursuit." 2004: Jon Wiley & Sons, NJ. ISBN 0-470821-10-8.
* Long, Brian. "Lexus: The Challenge to Create the Finest Automobile." 2001: Veloce Publishing, Cardiff. ISBN 1-901295-81-8.
* Mahler, Jonathan. "The Lexus Story: The Behind the Scenes Story of the #1 Automotive Luxury Brand in America." 2004: DK Melcher Media, NY. ISBN 0-971793-57-3.
* Lexus, history of
* Lexus Hybrid Drive
* [http://www.allnewls.com/ All New LS.com] launch site
* [http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/ Lexus LS] official U.S. site
* [http://www.lexus.co.uk/lexus_cars/ls/ls460/showcase/index.asp Lexus LS Showcase] Europe launch site
* [http://www.lexus-europe.com/range/index.aspx?WT.ac=spotlight_Explore_the_Lexus_Range#LS Lexus LS 460/600h] official Europe site
* [http://lexus.jp/models/ls/index.html Lexus.jp/models/ls] official Japan site
* [http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/experience/en/home/vehicles/ls/veh_group.jsp?model=DU46FC&series=ls&year=2008 LS460.ca] official Canada site
* [http://www.lexus.com/models/LSh/ 2008 Lexus LS hybrid] official U.S. hybrid site
* - additional links
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Lexus — Rechtsform Division/Marke Gründung 1989 Sitz 1, Toyota chō … Deutsch Wikipedia
Lexus GS — Lexus GS … Википедия
Lexus HS — Lexus HS … Википедия
Lexus IS — Hersteller: Toyota Produktionszeitraum: seit 1998 Klasse: Mittelklasse Karosserieversionen: Stufenheck, viertürig SportCross, fünftürig Vorgängermodell … Deutsch Wikipedia
Lexus RX — Lexus RX … Википедия
Lexus GX — Lexus GX … Википедия
Lexus ES — Constructeur Lexus … Wikipédia en Français
Lexus RX — 2010 Lexus RX350 Constructeur … Wikipédia en Français
Lexus — Tipo División Fundación 1989 Funda … Wikipedia Español
Lexus GS — Hersteller: Toyota Produktionszeitraum: seit 1991 Klasse: Obere Mittelklasse Karosserieversionen: Stufenheck, viertürig Vorgängermodell: keines … Deutsch Wikipedia
Lexus LS — Lexus LS … Википедия