Melvin A. Cook
Melvin Alonzo Cook (October 10, 1911 – October 12, 2000) was a noted American chemist. He was most known from his work in the research and development of explosives, including the development of shaped charges and slurry explosives. Cook was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
He was born on October 10, 1911 in Garden City, Utah to Alonzo Laker Cook and Maude Osmon. He received a Master of Arts from the University of Utah in 1934 and a Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry from Yale University in 1937. He served as President of IRECO Chemicals (later acquired by Dyno Nobel). He also served in higher education as a Professor of Metallurgy and Mechanical Engineering at the University of Utah. He died on October 12, 2000.
Melvin A. Cook's 50+ year career in both the theoretical and practical aspects of the field of explosives spans some remarkable achievements. As an expert in explosives, Melvin was an investigator of the 1947 fertilizer explosion in Texas City, Texas. The Texas City Disaster is considered the worst industrial accident in United States history. In December 1956 he created a new blasting agent using a mixture of ammonium nitrate, aluminum powder, and fuel oil: a most unusual mixture. This explosive, the first of the so-called "slurry explosives," was remarkably safe. He did consulting work for the Iron Ore Company of Canada, where the aluminized ammonium nitrate slurry explosive (with water) he developed was successfully used. His work on slurry explosives paved the way for the development of the BLU-82, nicknamed the "Daisy Cutter" (because of its use in Vietnam to clear helicopter landing zones), one of the largest and most powerful conventional bombs in the U.S. military inventory, using aluminized slurry.
Awards and recognitions
For his work in discovering slurry explosives, Cook received a Nitro Nobel Gold Medal in 1968, only the second time the award had been given (and which has been awarded only once since). This award has sometimes been confused with the Nobel Prize conferred by the Nobel Foundation, but although it is given by the successor explosives company founded by Alfred Nobel, Nitro-Nobel AB (now a part of Dyno Nobel), it is not of the same stature or importance as the Nobel Prize. Although it has been claimed that Cook was at one time a Nobel Prize nominee, he was never nominated.
Dr. Cook was an ardent creationist, and his writings on the subject are frequently quoted or cited by creationists. Cook was not, however, a "young earth" creationist, believing that "the creation was a refash[i]oning and reforming . . . of the surface features of the earth, not the earth as a whole" while "[t]he age of the earth turns out to be about half that claimed by geophysicists, but the solar system is found to be about the same as claimed by earth scientists." In some of his work in this area of creation theory he provided arguments in favor of a 6000 year-old planetary surface. One argument for a "young earth," which he wrote about in his book, Science and Mormonism, was that the atmosphere had not yet reached an equilibrium state with respect to carbon-14 creation/decay, and thus proving that the atmosphere of Earth was in fact not older than 6000 years, although this has been refuted.
- Prehistory and Earth Models (1966)
- Science and Mormonism (1968), with his son, M. Garfield Cook.
- Scientific Prehistory: A Sequel of Prehistory and Earth Models (1993)
- "Plasma and Universal Gravitation" — From Appendix III, The Science of High Explosives — American Chemical Society Monograph Series No. 139 (1958)
Other Frequently Cited Writings
- "What Happened to the Earth’s Helium?" — New Scientist, Vol. 24, 3 December 1964, pp. 631–632
- "Where is the Earth’s Radiogenic Helium?" — Nature, Vol. 179, 26 January 1957, p. 213 doi:10.1038/179213a0
- Article on the BLU-82 at GlobalSecurity.org 
- Melvin Cook biographical article on the Creation Wiki 
- Notation on The Melvin Cook Papers (1802–1989) at the University of Utah 
- TalkOrigins Archive article on a Melvin Cook claim 
- Who's Who in Creation/Evolution at ChristianAnswers.net 
- History of Dyno Nobel 
- ^ a b c "Melvin A. Cook, 89, Creator Of Explosives Used by Allies". New York Times. October 22, 2000. http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/22/nyregion/melvin-a-cook-89-creator-of-explosives-used-by-allies.html. Retrieved 2011-05-23. "Melvin A. Cook, an explosives expert whose innovations helped change the face of warfare and mining, died on Oct. 12 in Salt Lake City. He was 89. When Dr. Cook was studying chemistry in the Yale graduate program in the 1930's, he had no interest in the field of explosives, said one of his sons, Merrill Cook, a Utah congressman and a business partner of his father's. But when he took a job with DuPont in 1937, the company had its own ideas. He was a little surprised when they put him in the explosives group, his son said."
- ^ Cook, Melvin A. (1993). Scientific Prehistory: A Sequel of Prehistory and Earth Models, Bountiful, Utah. L.O.C. Card No. 93-74404. pp. vi-vii.
- ^ "TalkOrigins FAQ". Talkorigins. http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/debate-age-of-earth.html#c14. Retrieved 2010-09-01.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Melvin J. Ballard — edit data … Wikipedia
Melvin Gibbs — Melvin Gibbs, Moers Festival 2010 Melvin Gibbs (* in Brooklyn, New York City) ist ein US amerikanischer Fusion Bassist, Komponist und Produzent. Leben und Wirken Gibbs interessierte sich zunächst für Perkussion, bevor er sich für den Bass… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Melvin R. Laird — Melvin Robert (Bom) Laird (* 1. September 1922 in Omaha, Nebraska) ist ein US amerikanischer Schriftsteller und ehemaliger Politiker (Republikanische Partei). Er schloss 1942 mit einem B.A. sein Studium am Carleton College … Deutsch Wikipedia
Melvin Rhyne — (* 12. Oktober 1936 in Indianapolis) ist ein US amerikanischer Organist des Modern Jazz. Ursprünglich Pianist, begann Melvin Ryhne seine Karriere 1955 in der Band von Rahsaan Roland Kirk, danach bei verschiedenen Bluesmusikern wie T Bone Walker.… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Melvin Ernest Thompson — (* 1. Mai 1903 in Millen, Georgia; † 3. Oktober 1980 in Valdosta, Georgia) war ein US amerikanischer Politiker und Gouverneur von Georgia. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Jugend und politischer Aufstieg 2 Verfassungskrise mit drei Gouverneuren … Deutsch Wikipedia
Melvin Thompson — Melvin Ernest Thompson (* 1. Mai 1903 in Millen, Georgia; † 3. Oktober 1980 in Valdosta, Georgia) war ein US amerikanischer Politiker und Gouverneur von Georgia. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Jugend und politischer Aufstieg 2 Verfassungskrise mit drei… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Melvin E. Thompson — Melvin Ernest Thompson (* 1. Mai 1903 in Millen, Georgia; † 3. Oktober 1980 in Valdosta, Georgia) war ein US amerikanischer Politiker und Gouverneur von Georgia. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Jugend und politischer Aufstieg 2 Verfassungskrise mit drei… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Melvin Nelson — is a retired American professional wrestler. He competed in the United States under the ring names Jimmy Jones and Burrhead Jones. As an African American wrestler, he was not permitted to wrestle against caucasians in some territories, thus he… … Wikipedia
Melvin Sparks — (* 22. März 1946 in Houston; † 15. März 2011 in Mount Vernon, New York) war ein US amerikanischer Gitarrist des Soul Jazz, Hard Bop und Rhythm and Blues. Leben und Wirken Sparks begann im Alter von elf Jahren mit dem Gitarrenspiel; mit 13 trat … Deutsch Wikipedia
Cook Islands at the 2011 Pacific Games — Flag of Cook Islands Cook Islands competed at the 2011 Pacific Games in Nouméa, New Caledonia between August 27 and September 10, 2011. As of June 28, 2011 Cook Islands has listed 212 competitors. … Wikipedia