- Dody Dorn
Dody Dorn Born Dody Jane Dorn
April 20, 1955
Santa Monica, California
Awards Golden Reel The Abyss (1989)
Dody Dorn born 20 April 1955 (sometimes credited as Dody J. Dorn) is an American film and sound editor best known for working with director Christopher Nolan on several films including Memento. Variety's Lisa Nesselson said of Memento that it is a "...beautifully structured puzzle..." which "...deconstructs time and space with Einstein-caliber dexterity in the service of a delectably disturbing tale of revenge". She noted further that, "Dody Dorn's editing is top-notch as pic -- scripted, acted and lensed with precision -- smoothly toggles back and forth between sequences in B&W and in color." Dorn has also worked multiple times with director Ridley Scott as well as having edited SICK: The Life & Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist a documentary film which chronicles the life of a sadomasochistic man who struggles with cystic fibrosis.
Dody Dorn was born into a film industry family, her father having worked as a set designer and film producer. Dorn attended Hollywood High School and it was there that she decided to pursue a career as a math teacher. But a fateful job working behind the scenes at a movie sound stage led her towards working in the film industry. Dorn worked her way up the food chain (working as a production assistant, script supervisor, assistant location manager, and several other freelance jobs) eventually attaining the position of assistant film editor which she held until 1982. Finding it unusually difficult to move up to picture editing, Dorn made a lateral move to sound editing. Her work as a sound editor on James Cameron's The Abyss (1989) won the Golden Reel Award and was nominated for a best sound Academy Award.
In 1986, she started her own sound company, Sonic Kitchen, but with time, got more and more disenchanted and distracted with the daily business grind. Dorn had begun to lose interest and was compelled to get back to her passion—feature film picture editing. It was the editing of the unusual documentary cult film, SICK: The Life & Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist and Memento which brought Dody Dorn's picture editing to the attention of the rest of the world. She has since continued to work with director Christopher Nolan on several films and has repeatedly worked with noted film director, Ridley Scott. In addition to her credited editing on Scott's films, Dorn worked on the 2003 DVD releases of Alien (the "Director's Cut"). Alien is perhaps Scott's single best-known film.
- "It is still a commonly accepted notion that the editor just "cuts out all the bad bits." I liken editing more to sculpture. I don’t claim to be Michelangelo, but I like to think that when I am watching the dailies projected for the first time, I am seeing the pure essence of the film and that I work toward preserving and presenting that essence in a form that is accessible while still being artful." 
- "There is also a lot of trial and error in the editing room. Even if a director has a clear vision of what he wants, until the images are actually juxtaposed and the rhythm is defined by the editing, you never really know how it will work." 
- "I appreciate invisible editing, but it’s fun when editing can be conspicuous, provided it is adding to the narrative and not done for its own sake." 
- "Editing is making choices. During post-production, I work with the director to mine the best film out of the material that was shot. Leaving no stone unturned and going with my gut instincts, two seemingly diametrically opposed concepts, are techniques that I put to use on every film. That strange combination of hard work and divine inspiration probably means, inevitably, that I have left my stamp on the films I’ve edited." 
- "I see a finished film as a total product and I cannot separate (nor do I want to) the various aspects of the film. The images work in conjunction with the sound and the music and they need to be considered together, in just the same way that the rhythm and juxtaposition of the images need to be considered. I do use my experience in sound all the time. I work with temp sound and music in the AVID from day one. I may sometimes edit without sound for technical reasons, but putting sound in follows very close behind and will definitely affect how I evaluate what I have edited and will often stimulate changes." 
As Film Editor
Year Film Director Other notes 1991 Terminator 2: Judgment Day James Cameron Extended commentary by Dorn on Director's Cut DVD 1994 Floundering Peter McCarthy 1996 A Small Domain Britta Sjogren Short. 1997 SICK: The Life & Death of Bob Flanagan, Supermasochist Kirby Dick 1998 I Woke Up Early the Day I Died Aris Illiopulos 1999 Guinevere (film) Audrey Wells Sleeping Beauties Jamie Babbit Short. 2000 Memento Christopher Nolan Nominated - Academy Award, ACE 2001 Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows Robert Ackerman TV release. Nominated - Emmy, ACE 2002 Insomnia Christopher Nolan 2003 Matchstick Men Ridley Scott 2005 Kingdom of Heaven Extended commentary by Dorn on Director's Cut DVD 2006 A Good Year 2007 Year of the Dog Mike White 2008 Australia Baz Luhrmann 2010 I'm Still Here Casey Affleck London Boulevard William Monahan
As Sound Editor / Assistant Sound Editor
- Max Dugan Returns (1983) (assistant sound editor)
- Class (1983) (sound editor)
- The Big Chill (1983) (assistant sound editor) (uncredited)
- Racing with the Moon (1984) (foley editor)
- Silverado (1985) (foley editor)
- Children of a Lesser God (1986) (sound editor)
- The Big Easy (1987) (sound editor)
- Tapeheads (1988) (supervising sound editor)
- Powwow Highway (1989) (supervising sound editor)
- The Abyss (1989) (supervising sound editor)
- The Big Picture (1989) (supervising sound editor)
- State of Grace (1990) (supervising sound editor)
Academy Awards Nominations
Other Awards & Nominations
- 1990 The Abyss (won) Motion Picture Sound Editors MPSE Golden Reel Award Best Sound Editing - Sound Effects w/ co-editor Blake Leyh
- 2001 - Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows (nominated) Emmy Award
- 2002 - Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows (nominated) ACE Eddie Award Outstanding Single Camera Picture Editing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Special
- 2002 - Memento (nominated) American Cinema Editors ACE Eddie Award Best Edited Feature Film - Dramatic
- 2002 - Memento (nominated) The American Film Institute AFI Film Award AFI Editor of the Year
- 2002 - Memento (won) Phoenix Film Critics Society Awards PFCS Award Best Film Editing
- 2002 - Memento (won) Las Vegas Film Critics Society Film Awards - Sierra Award Best Editing
- 2003 - Insomnia (nominated) Satellite Awards Golden Satellite Award Best Film Editing
- ^ Nesselson, Lisa (2000). "Reviews: Memento", Variety September 14, 2000.
- ^ a b c d e f Wood, Jennifer M. (2004). "The Thrill of Living on the Edge: A Conversation with Insomnia Editor Dody Dorn", MovieMaker Magazine February 3, 2007. Webpage archived at WebCite from this original URL on 2008-03-06.
- ^ a b c d e f Kaufman, Debra (2004). "A Memento from Dody Dorn", Studio Daily July 1, 2004. Webpage archived at WebCite from this original URL on 2008-03-06.
- ^ Hunt, Bill and Dugan, Todd (2003). The Digital Bits Insider's Guide to DVD (McGraw-Hill Professional), p. 118.
- ^ "American Cinema Editors > Members", webpage archived by WebCite from this original URL on 2008-03-04.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dody Dorn — est une monteuse de film américaine née le 20 avril 1955 à Santa Monica, Californie. Sommaire 1 Biographie 2 Filmographie 2.1 Monteuse … Wikipédia en Français
Dody — Dodi, Dodie or Dody is a given name of various origins, used for both men and women. When used as a feminine name, it may be a diminutive for Dolores or Dorothy. Contents 1 People with the given name Dodi 2 People with the given name Dodie 3 … Wikipedia
Memento — Título Memento Ficha técnica Dirección Christopher Nolan Producción Jennifer Todd Suzanne Todd Guio … Wikipedia Español
Academy Award for Film Editing — The Academy Award for Film Editing was first given for films issued in 1934. The name of this award is occasionally changed; in 2008, it was listed as the Academy Award for Achievement in Film Editing. The New York Times published an article by… … Wikipedia
Christopher Nolan — For other uses, see Christopher Nolan (disambiguation). Christopher Nolan Nolan discussing Inception in 2010 Born July 30, 1970 (1970 07 30) … Wikipedia
Kingdom of Heaven (film) — Infobox Film name = Kingdom of Heaven image size = caption = director = Ridley Scott producer = Ridley Scott writer = William Monahan narrator = starring = Orlando Bloom Eva Green Jeremy Irons David Thewlis Edward Norton Marton Csokas Liam Neeson … Wikipedia
Guinevere (film) — Infobox Film name = Guinevere image size = caption = director = Audrey Wells producer = Jonathan King Brad Weston writer = Audrey Wells narrator = starring = Stephen Rea Sarah Polley Jean Smart Gina Gershon music = Christophe Beck Mikael Sandgren … Wikipedia
Memento (film) — Memento Theatrical release poster Directed by Christopher Nolan Produced by … Wikipedia
A Good Year — Infobox Film| name = A Good Year caption = Original poster amg id = 1:333456 imdb id = 0401445 producer = Ridley Scott director = Ridley Scott writer = Marc Klein (Screenplay) Peter Mayle (Novel) starring = Russell Crowe Albert Finney Marion… … Wikipedia
Matchstick Men (film) — Infobox Film name =Matchstick Men caption = director =Ridley Scott editing =Dody Dorn producer =Robert Zemeckis Sean Bailey Jack Rapke writer =Eric Garcia novel Ted Griffin Nick Griffin screenplay starring =Nicolas Cage Alison Lohman Sam… … Wikipedia