Antaeus in Greek and
Berber mythologywas a giant of Libya, the son of Poseidonand Gaia, and his wife was Tinjis. He was extremely strong as long as he remained in contact with the ground (his mother earth), but once lifted into the air he became as weak as water. He would challenge all passers-by to wrestling matches, kill them, and collect their skulls, so that he might one day build out of them a temple to his father Poseidon. Heracles, finding that he could not beat Antaeus by throwing him to the ground, as he would regain his strength and be fortified, discovered the secret of his power (touching the ground) and held Antaeus aloft and crushed him in a bearhug(Apollodorus ii. 5; Hyginus, "Fab". 31). The myth of Antaeus has been used as a symbol of the spiritual strength which accrues when one rests one's faith on the immediate fact of things. The struggle between Antaeus and Heracles is a favorite subject in ancient sculpture.
Dante's " The Divine Comedy", Antaeus is a giant who guards the ninth circle of Hell, and lowers Dante and Virgil down to the iced-over Cocytus.
One of the stories of the
Tanglewood Talesfeatures Antaeus and the Pygmies (Chapter: "The Pygmies").
* Antaeus was mentioned in the film
The Great Debatersas a metaphor for growing stronger when one loses.
* There was a literary magazine, edited by Daniel Halpern, named Antaeus.
* "Antaeus" is the title of a
short storyby American novelist Borden Deal.
* Rick Riordan (Author of the Percy Jackson books) uses Antaeus in Percy Jackson and the battle of the labyrinth, he describes him as fully red with wave patterns etched into his skin and teeth.
* The Irish poet
Seamus Heaneywrote two poems about the myth. The first, 'Antaeus,' is from his 1966 collection Death of a Naturalist:
... He may well throw me and renew my birthThe other, 'Antaeus and Heracles,' is found in North
But let him not plan, lifting me off the earth,
My elevation, my fall. [Seamus Heaney (1998), Opened Ground: Poems 1966-1996, London: Faber and Faber, p. 16.]
* There are two comic book characters named after this myth, see
* Antaeus is the name of the
battlecruiserin the PC game" Hostile Waters (game)"
* Antaeus is the name of a men's Eau de Toilette by
Chanellaunched in 1981.
* The Antaeus myth features heavily in the
Pat Barkernovel "Regeneration" as a metaphor for men psychologically disturbed in World War One
* Elsewhere in popular culture, the British prog-rock band Pure Reason Revolution have referenced Antaeus in the lyrics for their song 'Trembling Willows': "Songs of love & inflamed lips peristyle/Sold Antaeus darts!"
* The Antaeus Company in Los Angeles is a professional classical theater ensemble founded in 1991. www.antaeus.org.
* There is a new paraglider model, an high-end intermediate/performance glider name Antea by the Czech paragliding brand SKY. They tend to name gliders after characters of Greek mythology, like Brontes, one of the cyclopses
* Antaeus was used by ADM
Hyman G. Rickoveras a metaphor for engineers who sometimes become isolated from the world around them. "... the Devil is in the details, but so is salvation."
* The battle between Hercules and Antaeus was referenced in the book
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Antaeus — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Antaeus puede hacer referencia a: Anteo, un gigante de la mitología griega y la mitología bereber. Antaeus, un grupo francés de black metal. Obtenido de Antaeus Categoría: Wikipedia:Desambiguación … Wikipedia Español
Antaeus — [lateinisch], griechischer Mythos: Antaios … Universal-Lexikon
Antaeus — Libyan giant slain by Herakles, from Gk. Antaios, lit. opposite, opposed to, hostile, from anta over against, face to face, related to anti opposite, against (see ANTE (Cf. ante)) … Etymology dictionary
Antaeus — [an tē′əs] n. [L < Gr Antaios] Gr. Myth. a giant wrestler who is invincible as long as he is touching his mother, the earth Antaean adj … English World dictionary
Antaeus — Modèle:Ébau jtjjgroupe de musique Antaeus Pays d’origine France Genre musical Black metal Années d activité depuis 1994 Labels DMM Productions End All Life Spikekult Chanteloup Creations Baphomet Records Red Stream Paleur Mortelle… … Wikipédia en Français
ANTAEUS — I. ANTAEUS Gigas Libycus, Neptuni et Terrae fil. magnô ac procerô corpore; qui, quoties membra labore essent defesla, tactu terrae recreabatur. Hic Neptuno fanum ex craniis humanis exstructurus, obvios quosque occidit, tandem ab Hercule, qui eum… … Hofmann J. Lexicon universale
Antaeus — Antaean, adj. /an tee euhs/, n. Class. Myth. an African giant who was invincible when in contact with the earth but was lifted into the air by Hercules and crushed. * * * ▪ Greek mythology in Greek mythology, a giant of Libya, the son of the sea … Universalium
Antaeus — Dieser Artikel oder Abschnitt ist nicht hinreichend mit Belegen (Literatur, Webseiten oder Einzelnachweisen) versehen. Die fraglichen Angaben werden daher möglicherweise demnächst gelöscht. Hilf Wikipedia, indem du die Angaben recherchierst und… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Antaeus — n. (Greek mythology) son of Poseidon and Gaea who was a giant athlete slain by Hercules … English contemporary dictionary
Antaeus — An•tae•us [[t]ænˈti əs[/t]] n. myt a giant wrestler of Greek myth who was invincible when in contact with the earth, but was lifted into the air and crushed by Hercules An•tae′an, adj … From formal English to slang