- Name It and Frame It?
Name It and Frame It? Author(s) Steve Levicoff Publisher Institute on Religion and Law Publication date 1992, 1993 Media type Paperback OCLC Number 27784264
Name It and Frame It? is a self-published 1993 book by Steve Levicoff about unaccredited Christian colleges and universities, exploring the accreditation process and the nature of legitimate and illegitimate unaccredited institutions of higher learning. The fourth edition contains updated information and responses from some of the surveyed schools. The National Center for Science Education, the Palm Beach Post, the Seattle Times, the New York Post and author Jason D. Baker have mentioned the book as a resource.
Levicoff surveys various unaccredited Christian schools as well as providing an explanation about various forms of accreditation. Although in the past Levicoff has criticized the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools, he notes that TRACS has since "responded positively" to his earlier critiques.
Levicoff argues that a non-accredited school is not necessarily a degree mill. He devotes a chapter to "legitimate unaccredited Christian programs", some notable examples of which include (in the United States): Bob Jones University, Luther Rice University, Messenger College, (all three accredited by TRACS since publication) and (in Canada) Regent College.
Levicoff also surveys "ordination mills", of which one of the more prominent is the Universal Life Church.
The "Institute on Religion and Law", Levicoff's publisher, is a business name used for his personal consulting firm.
Notable universities identified as suspected degree mills
Levicoff identifies several notable schools as suspected degree mills (page numbers identified are from the third edition); accompanying the school is an analysis of the educational programs.
- Adam Smith University
- Baptist Christian University (author notes it is "affiliated with Louisiana Baptist Theological Seminary") (page 113)
- Christian Bible College (Rocky Mount, North Carolina)
- Clarksville School of Theology (author used it as an example of a bad institution, as the author noted it was closed by decision of the Tennessee Supreme Court)
- Columbia Pacific University
- Columbia State University (Metairie, Louisiana)
- Fairfax University (New Orleans, Louisiana)
- Greenwich University (Hilo, Hawaii)
- LaSalle University (Mandeville, Louisiana)
- Summit Theological Seminary (Fort Wayne, Indiana)
- The Theological University of America (also as the University of America) (New Orleans, Louisiana)
- Vision Christian University (Ramona, California) ("is the successor institution to the Logos Bible College") (page 146)
- ^ "EASY DIPLOMAS RELIGIOUS COLLEGES PROLIFERATE; STANDARDS VARY". Palm Beach Post. August 8, 1993. http://docs.newsbank.com/g/GooglePM/PBPB/lib00161,0EAF863022BA98AD.html. Retrieved 2007-05-17.
- ^ "Wrangling candidates in 9th District share common ground". Seattle Times. September 1, 2003. http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20030901&slug=hammond01m. Retrieved 2007-05-17.
- ^ "Unmasking the False Prophet of Creationism"; National Center for Science Education, September 1, 1999; Jason D. Baker. About Bakers Guide to Christian Distance Education 1997; Christopher Francezcani. "Net scammers offer cheapskins." New York Post. August 1999.
- ^ Steve Levicoff. Name It and Frame It? New Opportunities in Adult Education and How to Avoid Being Ripped Off by 'Christian' Degree Mills (Institute on Religion and Law, third edition 1993), 25
- ^ Levicoff, 33.
- ^ Levicoff, 93-97
- ^ Levicoff, 99-100
- Portions of Name it and Frame it online
- Texas Fines Distance-Learning Institution as Diploma Mill The Chronicle of Higher Education November 23, 2001
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Frame language — is a metalanguage. It applies the frame concept to the structuring of language properties. Frame languages are usually software languages. Frame languages are rather focused on the recognition and description of objects and classes , and… … Wikipedia
Frame — is generally accepted as being of Scottish origin although this is by no means certain. It is believed to derive from the Olde English pre 7th century word fram a term for a lusty and vigorous man! Today Frame is fairly prevalent on the western… … Surnames reference
Frame shutter mode — Frame shutter mode, also known as progressive shutter mode is the name that Sony came up with after it developed a progressive scan CCD for video cameras. This mode allows full frame acquisition with conventional interlaced field output. In Frame … Wikipedia
frame tent — ˈframe tent 7 [frame tent] (BrE) (NAmE ˈwall tent) noun a large tent with a roof and walls that do not slope much … Useful english dictionary
Frame problem — In artificial intelligence, the frame problem was initially formulated as the problem of expressing a dynamical domain in logic without explicitly specifying which conditions are not affected by an action. John McCarthy and Patrick J. Hayes… … Wikipedia
Frame grabber — A frame grabber is an electronic device that captures individual, digital still frames from an analog video signal or a digital video stream. It is usually employed as a component of a computer vision system, in which video frames are captured in … Wikipedia
Frame of Mind (album) — Infobox Album Name = Frame of Mind Type = studio Longtype = Artist = Sandy Mölling Released = May 26, 2006 Recorded = 2005 2006 Genre = Pop, rock Length = 50:21 Label = Starwatch Producer = Alain Bertoni, Thorsten Brötzmann, Allan Eshuijs, Kent… … Wikipedia
Frame by Frame — Song infobox Name = Frame by Frame Artist = King Crimson Album = Discipline Released = September 1981 track no = 2 Recorded = 1981 Genre = Progressive rock Length = 5:09 Writer = Adrian Belew Composer = Adrian Belew, Bill Bruford, Robert Fripp,… … Wikipedia
Frame and Canvas — Infobox Album | Name = Frame and Canvas Type = Album Artist = Braid Released = April 17, 1998 Recorded = Genre = Emo, Post hardcore Length = Label = Polyvinyl Producer = Reviews = Allmusic Rating|4|5 [http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg… … Wikipedia
And Four to Go — Infobox Book | name = And Four to Go image caption = author = Rex Stout cover artist = Bill English country = United States language = English series = Nero Wolfe genre = Detective fiction publisher = Viking Press release date = February 14, 1958 … Wikipedia