- Holographic paradigm
The holographic paradigm is a form of
quantum mysticismextrapolated from two theories:
* That the universe is in some sense a holographic structure — proposed by
* That consciousness is dependent on holographic structure — proposed by Karl PribramThis
paradigmposits that theories utilizing holographic structures may lead to a unified understanding of consciousness and the universe.
The holographic paradigm is rooted in the concept that all
organisms and forms are holograms embedded within a universal hologram, which physicist David Bohm[Bohm, David (1980) Wholeness and the Implicate Order, Routledge, London.] called the "holomovement". It is an extrapolation of the optical discovery of 2-dimensional holograms by Dennis Gaborin 1947. [Professor T.E. Allibone CBE, FRS. “THE LIFE AND WORK OF DENNIS GABBOR, HIS CONTRIBUTIONS TO CYBERNETICS, PHILOSOPHY AND THE SOCIAL SCIENCES, 1900 – 1979”. http://220.127.116.11/search?q=cache:NMpfXYlo-RsJ:www.cybsoc.org/GaborAllibone.doc+dennis+gabor+holograms+book&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us] Holography created an explosion of scientific and industrial interest starting in 1948.
Thomas Beardendescribes holograms as:
photographic recordings of the patterns of interference between coherent light reflected from the object of interest, and light that comes directly from the same source or is reflected by a mirror. When this photo image is illuminated from behind by coherent light, a three-dimensional image of the object appears in
space. The characteristic of a hypothetically perfect hologram is that all its content is contained in any finite part of itself (at lower resolution). Observationally and perceptually, the universe is a hologram and in each part of itself, since all of it can be detected from/in each internal particle. [Beardon, Thomas (1980, 1988, 2002), Excalibur Briefing, Strawberry Hill Press, San Francisco.]
In 1973, what has come to be known as the Pribram-Bohm Holographic Model was non-existent. But the Seattle thinktank, Organization for the Advancement of Knowledge (OAK), led by
Richard Alan Millerand Burt Webb, were able to synthesize the work of Northrup and Burr on the electromagnetic nature of the human being with Dennis Gabor's work on optical holograms and come up with a new notion – a holographic paradigm.
In Languages of the Brain (1971), Pribram [Pribram, Karl (1971), Languages of the Brain, Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs: New Jersey.] had postulated that 2-dimensional interference patterns, physical holograms, underlie all thinking. The holographic component, for him, represented the associative mechanisms and contributed to memory retrieval and storage and problem solving.
However, Miller, Webb and Dickson extrapolated that the holographic metaphor extends to n-dimensions and therefore constitutes a fundamental description of the universe and our electromagnetic embedding within that greater field. It suggested the human energy body or bioenergetics was more fundamental than the biochemical domain.
The "Holographic Concept of Reality" (1973) [Miller, R.A., Webb, B. Dickson, D. (1975), “A Holographic Concept of Reality,” Psychoenergetic Systems Journal Vol. 1, 1975. 55-62. Gordon & Breach Science Publishers Ltd., Great Britain. "Holographic Concept" was later reprinted in the hardback book Psychoenergetic Systems, Stanley Krippner, editor. 1979. 231-237. Gordon & Breach, New York, London, Paris. It was reprinted again in the journal Psychedelic Monographs and Essays, Vol. 5, 1992. 93-111. Boynton Beach, FL, Tom Lyttle, Editor. Accessed 6/07: http://www.geocities.com/iona_m/Chaosophy/chaosophy13.html] was presented at the 1st Psychotronic Conference in Prague in 1973, and later published by Gordon & Breach in 1975, and again in 1979 in Psychoenergetic Systems: the Interaction of Consciousness, Energy and Matter, edited by Dr.
Miller and Webb followed up their ground-breaking paper with "Embryonic Holography," [Miller, R. A., Webb. B., “Embryonic Holography,” Psychoenergetic Systems, Stanley Krippner, Ed. Presented at the Omniversal Symposium, California State College at Sonoma, Saturday, September 29, 1973. Reprinted in Lyttle's journal Psychedelic Monographs and Essays, Vol. 6, 1993. 137-156. Accessed 6/07: http://www.geocities.com/iona_m/Chaosophy/chaosophy14.html] which was also presented at the Omniversal Symposium at California State College at Sonoma, hosted by Dr. Stanley Krippner, September 29, 1973. Arguably, this is the first paper to address the quantum biological properties of human beings--the first illustrations of the sources of quantum mindbody.
The premise is based in this hypothesis:
The organization of any biological system is established by a complex
electrodynamicfield which is, in part, determined by its atomic physiochemical components. This field, in turn, determines the behavior and orientation of these components. This dynamic is mediated through wave-based genomes wherein DNA functions as the holographic projector of the psychophysical system - a "quantum biohologram".
Dropping a level of observation below quantum biochemistry and conventional biophysics, this holographic paradigm proposes that a biohologram determines the development of the human
embryo; that we are a quantum bodymind with consciousness informing the whole process through the level of information. They postulated DNA as the possible holographic projector of the biohologram, patterning the three-dimensional electromagnetic standing and moving wave front that constitutes our psychophysical being -- quantum bioholography.
The Gariaev (Garyaev) group (1994) [Gariaev, Peter, Boris Birshtein, Alexander Iarochenko, et al, “The DNA-wave Biocomputer.”] has proposed a theory of the Wave-based
Genomewhere the DNA-wave functions as a Biocomputer. They suggest (1) that there are genetic "texts", similar to natural context-dependent texts in human language; (2) that the chromosomeapparatus acts simultaneously both as a source and receiver of these genetic texts, respectively decoding and encoding them; (3) that the chromosome continuum acts like a dynamical holographic grating, which displays or transduces weak laserlight and solitonic electro-acoustic fields. [Miller, Iona, Miller, R.A. and Burt Webb (2002), “Quantum Bioholography: A Review of the Field from 1973-2002.” Journal of Non-Locality and Remote Mental Interactions Vol.I, Nr. 3. Accessed 6/11/07. http://www.emergentmind.org/MillerWebbI3a.htm]
The distribution of the character frequency in genetic texts is fractal, so the nucleotides of DNA molecules are able to form holographic pre-images of biostructures. This process of "reading and writing" the very matter of our being manifests from the genome's associative holographic memory in conjunction with its quantum nonlocality. Rapid transmission of genetic information and gene-expression unite the organism as holistic entity embedded in the larger Whole. The system works as a biocomputer -- a wave biocomputer. [Miller, Iona (2004) “From Helix to Hologram,” Nexus Magazine http://www.ajna.com/articles/science/from_helix_to_hologram.php] [Crisis in Life Sciences. The Wave Genetics ResponseP.P. Gariaev, M.J. Friedman, and E.A. Leonova- Gariaevahttp://www.emergentmind.org/gariaev06.htm]
Gariaev reports as of 2007 that this work in Russia is being actively suppressed. [Miller, Iona (2007), private correspondence with Peter Gariaev.]
* The Holographic Paradigm and Other Paradoxes (Paperback) by
* Gariaev, P.P. (1994), Wave Genome, Public Profit, Moscow, 279 pages [in Russian] .
* Gariaev, P.P. (1993) Wave based genome, Depp. VINITI 15:12. 1993, N 3092?93, 278pp. [in Russian] .
* Gariaev, P., Tertinshny, G., and Leonova, K. (2001), "The Wave, Probabilistic and Linguistic Representations of Cancer and HIV," JNLRMI, v.1, No.2.
* Marcer, P. and Schempp, W. (1996), A Mathematically Specified Template for DNA and the Genetic Code, in Terms of the Physically Realizable Processes of Quantum Holography, Proceedings of the Greenwich Symposium on Living Computers, editors Fedorec, A. and Marcer, P., 45-62.
* Miller, Iona (1993), “The Holographic Paradigm and the Consciousness Restructuring Process,” Chaosophy ‘93, O.A.K., Grants Pass. http://www.geocities.com/iona_m/Chaosophy/chaosophy11.html
* Karl H. Pribram, "The Implicate Brain", in B. J. Hiley and
F. David Peat, (eds) "Quantum Implications: Essays in Honour of David Bohm", Routledge, 1987 ISBN 0-415-06960-2
* Talbot, Michael (1991), "The Holographic Universe", Harper Collins Publishers, New York. ISBN 0-06-092258-3
* Peat, F. David "Quantum Physics: David Bohm" http://www.spaceandmotion.com/Physics-David-Bohm-Holographic-Universe.htm
Bohm diffusionof a plasma in a magnetic field
* Penrose-Hameroff "Orchestrated Objective Reduction" theory of consciousness
Implicate and Explicate Order
John Stewart Bell
* The Bohm sheath criterion, which states that a plasma must flow with at least the speed of sound toward a solid surface
* Influence on
John David Garcia
* [http://twm.co.nz/hologram.html The Universe as a Hologram] by
* [http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0047-7729(199023)20%3A4%3C80%3ATHPANM%3E2.0.CO%3B2-B The Holographic Paradigm: A New Model for the Study of Literature and Science] by
Mary Ellen Pitts
* [http://www.cox-internet.com/hermital/book/holoprt7-1.htm Consciousness, Physics, and the Holographic Paradigm] essays by A.T. Williams
* [http://www.acsa2000.net/bcngroup/jponkp/ Comparison between Karl Pribram's "Holographic Brain Theory" and more conventional models of neuronal computation] By
* http://www.geocities.com/iona_m/Chaosophy/chaosophy11.html Miller, Iona (1993) The Holographic Paradigm and CCP: Explication, Ego Death and Emptiness, "Chaosophy 93".
* Miller, Iona FROM HELIX TO HOLOGRAM. An Ode on the Human Genome. Life is fundamentally electromagnetic. http://www.nwbotanicals.org/oak/newphysics/Helix%20to%20Hologram.pdf
* [http://www.journaloftheoretics.com/Articles/2-5/Benford.htm] Sue Benford, Empirical Evidence Supporting Macro-Scale Quantum Holography in Non-Local Effects,
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Holographic principle — Holographic Universe redirects here. For the album, see Holographic Universe (album). For the book by Michael Talbot, see The Holographic Universe. String theory … Wikipedia
Membrane paradigm — In black hole theory, the black hole membrane paradigm is a useful toy model method or engineering approach for visualising and calculating the effects predicted by quantum mechanics for the exterior physics of black holes, without using quantum… … Wikipedia
Ken Wilber — Kenneth Ken Wilber Ken Wilber with Bernard Glassman (background) Born January 31, 1949 (1949 01 31) (age 62) Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA … Wikipedia
Implicate and Explicate Order according to David Bohm — David Bohm proposed a cosmological order radically different from generally accepted conventions, which he expressed as a distinction between the implicate and explicate order, described in the book Wholeness and the Implicate Order ::In the… … Wikipedia
Holomovement — The holomovement is a key concept in David Bohm’s interpretation of quantum mechanics and for his overall wordview. It brings together the holistic principle of “undivided wholeness” with the idea that everything is in a state of process or… … Wikipedia
The Tao of Physics — (full title: The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels Between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism ) was a 1975 book by physicist Fritjof Capra, published by Shambhala Publications of Berkeley, California. It was a bestseller in the… … Wikipedia
David Bohm — David Joseph Bohm (1917 1992) Born December 20, 1917(191 … Wikipedia
Logical holism — is the belief that the world operates in such a way that no part can be known without the whole being known first. See also * The doctrine of internal relations * Holography *# In optics: *#: holography *# In metaphysics: *#: holonomic brain… … Wikipedia
Ken Wilber — Kenneth Earl Wilber Junior (né le 31 janvier 1949) est un écrivain et spiritualiste américain. A peu près inconnue en France, son œuvre couvre les domaines de la psychologie, de l épistémologie, de l histoire des idées, de la sociologie … Wikipédia en Français
Уилбер, Кен — Кен Уилбер Kenneth Earl Wilber II Кен Уилбер и Бернард Гла … Википедия