The band in concert in 2007
Background information Origin Chicago, Illinois, United States Genres Punk rock
Years active 1980–1992, 2006–present Labels Ruthless Records
Riot Fest Records
Associated acts Big Black
Website www.nakedraygun.org Members Jeff Pezzati
Past members Santiago Durango
From the beginning, their music had a strong sense of melody and songwriting, with Pezzati's lyrics often exploring working class issues. Naked Raygun began in the hardcore punk style, later branching out into post-hardcore territory. By their early 1990s incarnation, Naked Raygun's melodic tendencies became more pronounced, with strong power pop leanings in the vein of Buzzcocks, Stiff Little Fingers, and The Jam.
The band was formed in 1980 by Santiago Durango, Marko Pezzati and later Jeff Pezzati. Singer Jeff Pezzati was the sole constant member through multiple personnel changes. Members over time include drummers Bobby Strange, Jim Colao, and Eric Spicer; bassists Marko Pezzati, Pierre Kezdy, and Camilo Gonzalez; guitarists Santiago Durango, John Haggerty, and Bill Stephens; and keyboardist John Lundin.
Post Naked Raygun
In 1989, John Haggerty left Naked Raygun to form Pegboy with his younger brother Joe (formerly of Bloodsport and The Effigies) and Steve Saylors and Larry Damore of the Bhopal Stiffs (Pierre Kezdy would later replace Steve Saylors).
Jeff Pezzati is also the lead singer of The Bomb, which is a different and later band than the San Francisco group, known as "Bomb".
On August 16, 2006 it was announced that Naked Raygun would reunite for Riot Fest 2006, an annual punk rock festival held in Chicago. Other high profile reunions for Riot Fest 2006 included the Blue Meanies and The Bollweevils.
Naked Raygun also played a low-key, invitation-only show on October 19, 2006 at the Cobra Lounge in Chicago.
Following their reunion at Riot Fest 2006, Naked Raygun announced that the band was "back for good." The reunited lineup consists of its "Raygun...Naked Raygun" members: Pezzati, Stephens, Kezdy, and Spicer.
On July 14, 2009 it was announced that Naked Raygun would soon return to the studio for the first time since 1997 for a series of 7" singles to be released on Riot Fest Records. After the singles series the band plans to record an LP, the first since 1990's Raygun... Naked Raygun.
- Basement Screams 12" ::Ruthless Records (1983), Quarterstick Records (1999 - CD only), Haunted Town Records (2007 - LP only)
- Throb Throb LP -with cover art by Macintosh comic book artist Mike Saenz- ::Homestead Records (1985), Quarterstick Records (1999 - CD only), Haunted Town Records (2008 - LP only)
- All Rise LP ::Homestead (1986), Quarterstick Records (1999 - CD only), Haunted Town Records (2008 - LP only)
- Jettison LP ::Caroline Records (1988), Quarterstick Records (1999 - CD only)
- Understand? LP ::Caroline Records (1989), Quarterstick Records (1999 - CD only)
- Raygun... Naked Raygun LP ::Caroline Records (1990), Quarterstick Records (1999 - CD only)
- Last of the Demohicans CD ::Dyslexic Records, (1997)
- Free Shit! live LP/CD ::(Haunted Town Records)
- What Poor Gods We Do Make CD ::Riot Fest Records (2007)
- Treason 12" ::3 songs, on pink vinyl limited to 2,500 numbered records (although unnumbered versions, stamped "Promo only" exist) ::Caroline Records (1989)
- Flammable Solid 7" ::Ruthless Records (1983)
- Vanilla Blue 7" on white/light blue marbled vinyl ::Sandpounder Records (1987)
- Home 7" on green vinyl ::Caroline Records (1990)
- Series 1 7" on red & on cream vinyl ::Riot Fest Records (2010)
- Series 2 7" on violet & on black vinyl ::Riot Fest Records(2010)
- What Poor Gods We Do Make DVD ::Riot Fest Records (2007)
- Busted At Oz LP (Autumn Records, 1981)
- Rat Music for Rat People, Vol. 3 (CD Presents, 1987)
- Somethings's Gone Wrong Again: The Buzzcocks Covers Compilation (CD, LP, Comp, C/Z Records, 1992)
- You Weren't There
- ^ a b Naked Raygun Biography by Greg Prato at Allmusic
- ^ Big Black Biography by Mark Deming at Allmusic
- ^ Pegboy Biography by Steve Huey at Allmusic
- ^ The Bomb Biography by Andy Kellman at Allmusic
- ^ DeRogatis, Jim (December 1, 1997). "Naked Raygun". Chicago Sun-Times: pp. 32. http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=CSTB&p_theme=cstb&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_topdoc=1&p_text_direct-0=0EB4235FB585008F&p_field_direct-0=document_id&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&s_trackval=GooglePM.
- ^ Kot, Greg (December 1, 1997). "LASER-SHARP RAYGUN FIRES BACK POST-NIRVANA, POSTPUNK SCENE CLAIMS ITS DUE IN HIGH-OCTANE METRO SHOW". Chicago Tribune: pp. 2. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotribune/access/23331960.html?dids=23331960:23331960&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Dec+01%2C+1997&author=Greg+Kot%2C+Tribune+Rock+Critic.&pub=Chicago+Tribune&desc=LASER-SHARP+RAYGUN+FIRES+BACK+POST-NIRVANA%2C+POSTPUNK+SCENE+CLAIMS+ITS+DUE+IN+HIGH-OCTANE+METRO+SHOW&pqatl=google.
- ^ Kot, Greg (September 5, 1999). "PUNK LEGACY A DECADE LATER, NAKED RAYGUN FIRES VOLLEYS FROM THE UNDERGROUND". Chicago Tribune: pp. 10. http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotribune/access/44439405.html?dids=44439405:44439405&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&type=current&date=Sep+05%2C+1999&author=Greg+Kot%2C+Tribune+Rock+Critic&pub=Chicago+Tribune&desc=PUNK+LEGACY+A+DECADE+LATER%2C+NAKED+RAYGUN+FIRES+VOLLEYS+FROM+THE+UNDERGROUND&pqatl=google.
- ^ "Naked Raygun reunite permanently, plan live CD/DVD". AP Alt Press. January 4, 2007. http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/archive_1650/.
- ^ Naked Raygun Official Web Site
- ^ Official Site - History
- ^ Riot Fest – Naked Raygun entering the studio soon for 7" series, LP coming later
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Naked Raygun — Datos generales Origen Chicago, Illinois, Estados Unidos Información artística Género(s) Punk rock … Wikipedia Español
Naked Raygun — en concert en 1997 Naked Raygun est un groupe de punk très influent, originaire de Chicago et actif pendant les années 1980 et au début des années 1990. Le chanteur permanent du groupe était Jeff Pezzati. D autres membres furent Bobby Strange,… … Wikipédia en Français
Naked Raygun — Logo A … Deutsch Wikipedia
Post-hardcore — Stylistic origins Hardcore punk, post punk, noise rock Cultural origins 1980s in the United States Typical instruments Drums, bass guitar, electric guitar, vocals Mainstream popular … Wikipedia
Jeff Pezzati — Datos generales Nombre real Jeff Pezzati Ocupación Músico Información artística … Wikipedia Español
Jeff Pezzati — est un musicien de punk rock américain. Il commence sa carrière à Chicago en tant que chanteur et leader du groupe de punk rock Naked Raygun. Steve Albini, grand amateur de ce groupe, le convainc de le rejoindre en tant que bassiste dans son… … Wikipédia en Français
Dave Grohl — Not to be confused with David Groh. Dave Grohl Grohl, Milton Keynes National Bowl, July 3, 2011 Background information Birth name David Eric Grohl … Wikipedia
Pegboy — is a US American punk band from Chicago, founded 1990 by John Haggerty (who played guitar with Naked Raygun), along with his brother Joe Haggerty (drums), Larry Damore (vocals/guitar), and Steve Saylors (bass). Both Damore and Saylors had been… … Wikipedia
Big Black — Steve Albini avec Big Black en 2006 Pays d’origine Evanston, Illinois … Wikipédia en Français
This Addiction — Álbum de estudio de Alkaline Trio Publicación 23 de febrero de 2010 Grabación 2009 en … Wikipedia Español