Neper (crater) Coordinates Coordinates: Diameter 137 km (85 miles) Depth 2.0 km Colongitude 343° at sunrise Eponym John Napier
Neper is an old lunar impact crater located near the eastern limb of the Moon. Due to its location the crater must be viewed during a suitable libration, and is very foreshortened. The crater lies on the south edge of Mare Marginis, to the east of the crater Jansky. To the northwest across the Mare Marginis is the crater Goddard.
The crater inner walls have worn terraces, with low rim edges at the northern and southern extremes. The crater floor is dark and flat, with a central peak and several crater impacts near the west rim. The most notable of these is a small crater near the north-northwestern edge.
By convention these features are identified on lunar maps by placing the letter on the side of the crater mid-point that is closest to Neper.
Neper Latitude Longitude Diameter D 9.2° N 80.8° E 40 km H 10.4° N 78.2° E 9 km Q 8.0° N 83.1° E 12 km
The following craters have been renamed by the IAU.
- Gladstone-Millar, Lynne (March 29, 2003). "Forgotten genius still burns bright". Edinburgh News. http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=373482003. Retrieved 2007-09-06.
- Andersson, L. E.; Whitaker, E. A., (1982). NASA Catalogue of Lunar Nomenclature. NASA RP-1097.
- Blue, Jennifer (July 25, 2007). "Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature". USGS. http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/. Retrieved 2007-08-05.
- Bussey, B.; Spudis, P. (2004). The Clementine Atlas of the Moon. New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-81528-2.
- Cocks, Elijah E.; Cocks, Josiah C. (1995). Who's Who on the Moon: A Biographical Dictionary of Lunar Nomenclature. Tudor Publishers. ISBN 0-936389-27-3.
- McDowell, Jonathan (July 15, 2007). "Lunar Nomenclature". Jonathan's Space Report. http://host.planet4589.org/astro/lunar/. Retrieved 2007-10-24.
- Menzel, D. H.; Minnaert, M.; Levin, B.; Dollfus, A.; Bell, B. (1971). "Report on Lunar Nomenclature by the Working Group of Commission 17 of the IAU". Space Science Reviews 12 (2): 136–186. Bibcode 1971SSRv...12..136M. doi:10.1007/BF00171763.
- Moore, Patrick (2001). On the Moon. Sterling Publishing Co. ISBN 0-304-35469-4.
- Price, Fred W. (1988). The Moon Observer's Handbook. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-33500-0.
- Rükl, Antonín (1990). Atlas of the Moon. Kalmbach Books. ISBN 0-913135-17-8.
- Webb, Rev. T. W. (1962). Celestial Objects for Common Telescopes (6th revision ed.). Dover. ISBN 0-486-20917-2.
- Whitaker, Ewen A. (1999). Mapping and Naming the Moon. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-62248-4.
- Wlasuk, Peter T. (2000). Observing the Moon. Springer. ISBN 1-85233-193-3.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Neper (disambiguation) — Neper is a logarithmic unit of ratio. Neper may also refer to: John Napier, a Scottish mathematician Neper (crater), a lunar impact crater Neper (mythology), an Egyptian deity See also Napier (disambiguation) This disambiguation page lists arti … Wikipedia
Virchow (crater) — lunar crater data latitude=9.8 N or S=N longitude=83.7 E or W=E diameter=17 km depth=1.2 km colong=277 eponym=Rudolph L. K. VirchowVirchow is a small lunar impact crater that is located on the northwestern interior floor of the prominent Neper… … Wikipedia
Tacchini (crater) — lunar crater data latitude=4.9 N or S=N longitude=85.8 E or W=E diameter=40 km depth= Unknown colong=275 eponym=Pietro TacchiniTacchini is a lunar crater on the northwestern edge of the Mare Smythii, near the eastern limb of the Moon. It lies… … Wikipedia
Theiler (crater) — lunar crater data latitude=13.4 N or S=N longitude=83.3 E or W=E diameter=8 km depth= Unknown colong=277 eponym=Max TheilerTheiler is a tiny lunar Impact crater on the eastern lunar limb, in the western Mare Marginis. To the southeast is the… … Wikipedia
Peek (crater) — lunar crater data caption=Peek crater from Lunar Orbiter 1. NASA/L PI image . latitude=2.6 N or S=N longitude=86.9 E or W=E diameter=12 km depth= Unknown colong=274 eponym=Bertrand M. PeekPeek is a small lunar impact crater that is located in the … Wikipedia
Schubert (lunar crater) — lunar crater data latitude=2.8 N or S=N longitude=81.0 E or W=E diameter=54 km depth= Unknown colong=280 eponym=Theodor F. von SchubertSchubert is a lunar impact crater that lies near the eastern limb of the Moon s near side. The crater is… … Wikipedia
Goddard (crater) — lunar crater data latitude=14.8 N or S=N longitude=89.0 E or W=E diameter=89 km depth= Unknown colong=272 eponym=Robert H. GoddardGoddard is a lunar crater that is located along the eastern limb of the Moon, and so is visible from the edge from… … Wikipedia
Jansky (crater) — lunar crater data latitude=8.5 N or S=N longitude=89.5 E or W=E diameter=73 km depth= Unknown colong=272 eponym=Karl JanskyJansky is a lunar impact crater that lies along the eastern limb of the Moon. It lies due east of the larger Neper walled… … Wikipedia
Banachiewicz (crater) — lunar crater data latitude=5.2 N or S=N longitude=80.1 E or W=E diameter=92 km depth= Unknown colong=281 eponym=Tadeusz BanachiewiczBanachiewicz is a largely degraded lunar crater that is located near the eastern limb of the Moon. Portions of the … Wikipedia
Sabatier (crater) — lunar crater data latitude=13.2 N or S=N longitude=79.0 E or W=E diameter=10 km depth= Unknown colong=281 eponym=Paul SabatierSabatier is a small lunar impact crater that is located near the eastern limb of the Moon, at the southwestern fringes… … Wikipedia