Infobox Former Subdivision
conventional_long_name = Borsod County
common_name = Borsod
subdivision = County
nation = the
Kingdom of Hungary
year_start = 11th century
year_end = 1950
date_end = January 1
capital = Miskolc
stat_area1 = 3629
stat_pop1 = 289900
stat_year1 = 1910
Borsod was the name of a historic administrative county (
comitatus) of the Kingdom of Hungaryin present-day north-eastern Hungary. The capital of the county was Miskolc. After World War II, the county was merged with the Hungarian parts of Abaúj-Tornaand Zemplén counties to form Borsod-Abaúj-Zempléncounty.
World War IBorsod county shared borders with the counties Gömör-Kishont, Abaúj-Torna, Zemplén, Szabolcs, Hajdú and Heves. The river Tiszaformed the south-eastern border, and the river Sajóflowed through the county. Its area was 3629 km² around 1910.
Borsod is one of the oldest counties of the
Kingdom of Hungary. In the early history of the Kingdom of Hungaryeach county (in Latin"comitatus)" formed around a castle (the majority of these castles were mottecastles; most of the stone-built castles were constructed after the Mongol invasion of Hungary in the mid-13th century). The castle – which stood near modern-day Edelény– bore the name of its first steward, Bors, who lived during the reigns of either High Prince Gézaor his son Stephen I. In old Hungarian languagethe -d suffix was a derivational suffix for place names, thus "Borsod" means "(a place) belonging to Bors". The name "bors" is of Turkish origin and means "pepper" both in old and modern Hungarian language (though in modern Hungarian it is not used as a personal name).
The county's borders became permanent in the early 14th century, when the neighbouring
Tornacounty was formed, and they remained basically unchanged for the next six hundred years. Judging from the place names, originally the majority of the population were ethnic Hungarians, but later other groups immigrated to the area too: Pechenegs(in the late 10th/early 11th century) and "úz" groups (11th-12th century). This is also evident from place names like Szirmabesenyő"(besenyő" is the Hungarian word for Pecheneg) and Ózd(from "úz").
The parishes of the county belonged to the Diocese of Eger from the beginning. Several monasteries were founded in the region, in Százd (by the Aba clan, 11th century), Boldva (by the queen, 12th century), Kács (by the Örsúr clan), Tapolca (by the Miskolc clan), Bélháromkút (by the Bishop of Eger, after 1232).
Battle of Muhi– marking the beginning of the Mongol invasion which had a disastrous effect on Hungary – took place in Borsod county, near the village of Muhi, on April 11, 1241. The Mongols defeated the army of King Béla IV. During the two-year invasion 16 of the county's 69 villages were completely destroyed.
In 1248, when King Béla ordered stone castles to be built throughout the kingdom, several new castles were constructed in Borsod county too (Cserépvár, Csorbakő, Dédes, Diósgyőr,
Éleskő), many in places of former, destroyed motte castles. The monastery of Boldva was destroyed during a second Mongol invasion in 1285.
In the papal tithe registers from 1332-1335 the county is mentioned as having 91 parishes. The county had about 240 villages at that time. Before the
battle of Mohács(1526), which marks the beginning of the Ottoman occupation of Hungary (lasting for over 160 years) the county had 13 castles, 13 market towns "( oppidum", including Miskolc and Mezőkövesd) and 250 villages, owned by 235 different feudal lords including dioceses and monasteries. The steward of the county was the captain of the Castle of Diósgyőr.
In 1566 the Ottomans occupied the castles of Dédes and Diósgyőr, and after the
Battle of Mezőkeresztes(October 26-28, 1596) they occupied Miskolc too. The area was under Ottoman control until 1687.
In the next century an important historical event of Prince Rákóczi's freedom fight took place in the county: the
Diet of Ónod, where Hungary was declared independent of Habsburgrule, was held here, next to the village of Ónod, on June 18, 1707.
In 1724 it was decided that the county hall of Borsod would be built in Miskolc, thus the town officially became the seat of the county. The building was constructed between 1825–1827.
There were some minor changes in the area of the county during the 19th century: between 1807 and 1812 the villages Szőlőske, Cegléd, Tihamér, Almagyar, Felnémet and Bekölce (many of these are today city parts of
Eger) were annexed to the neighbouring Heves county, while Egerfarmos, Ivánka, Szőkepuszta and the mill of Kistálya were annexed from Heves to Borsod. In 1850 several other towns and villages of Borsod were annexed to neighbouring counties: Andornak, Kistálya and Felsőtárkányto Heves, Domaházaand Sikátorto Gömör and Kishont. Onga, formerly belonging to Abaúj county, and Külsőböcs, formerly of Zemplén county, became parts of Borsod. In 1907 Miskolc was granted the rank of city with municipal rights, becoming "de jure" independent from Borsod county.
In 1910 the county had 289,492 inhabitants (281,871 Hungarians, 2,379 Germans, 4,115 Slovaks; 160,699 Roman Catholics, 14,086 Greek Catholics, 7,299 Evangelicals, 88,856 Calvinists, 18,346 Jews). Of the 63 counties of Hungary it was the 39th largest by area, 23rd largest by population and 11th largest by population density (80 persons/km² in 1910). Between 1899 and 1913 many people left Hungary and emigrated to other countries; from Borsod 23,797 people emigrated, which, not counting the 7,313 who eventually came back, makes the county 18th in the list of Hungarian counties with the most emigrees.
World War Iand the Treaty of TrianonHungary lost many of its territories to neighbouring countries. The loss didn't effect Borsod county, its borders remained unchanged, but of the surrounding counties Abaúj-Torna (Abaúj had been merged with Torna in 1882) lost 48% of its area to the newly formed state of Czechoslovakia, Zemplén lost 72% and Gömör-Kishont lost 92.5%. In 1924 Borsod county was merged with the remaining parts of former Gömör-Kishontcounty to form "Borsod-Gömör-Kishont temporarily united county" with its capital at Miskolc.
In 1919 Borsod county had 177 villages (13 of them had a population larger than 2000).
November 2, 1938, the First Vienna Awardreturned to Hungary the parts of Gömör and Kishont lost in 1918; Borsod and Gömör-Kishont became independent from each other again.
In 1941 the county had 382,324 inhabitants (378,303 Hungarians, 272 Germans, 240 Slovaks, 165 Romanians, 210 Ruthenians, 2103 Gypsies and 2324 other; 225,476 Roman Catholics, 19,625 Greek Catholics, 226 Greek Orthodox, 8657 Evangelicals, 109,809 Protestants, 105 Unitarians, 970 Baptists, 16,997 Jews, 164 of other religions.
World War IIthe Vienna Award was declared void, Hungary lost the northern territories to Czechoslovakia again, and in 1945 the 1938 law was repealed and the remaining part of Gömör-Kishont was merged with Borsod county again, forming Borsod-Gömör county. On January 1, 1950, during an extensive administrative reform, the remaining parts of Abaúj-Torna and Zemplén counties were annexed to Borsod-Gömör, creating the modern-day county of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén, with only Borsod's county seat Miskolc keeping its county seat status – Sátoraljaújhely, of Zemplén, lost it, and Kassa, of Abaúj county, became part of Czechoslovakia.
Today the area that was once Borsod county is the most urbanized and industrialized area of Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén, with close to half of the county's population living here. The county's three largest cities – Miskolc, Ózd and Kazincbarcika – can be found here. In colloquial speech "Borsod county" is often (incorrectly) used to mean Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén as a whole.
*as Borsod-Gömör **Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén
In the early 20th century, the subdivisions of Borsod county were:
* [http://lexikon.katolikus.hu/ Hungarian Catholic Lexicon] (Hungarian only) (articles: "Borsod, Gömör és Kishont közigazgatásilag egyelőre egyesített vármegye, Borsod vármegye, Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén megye" and "Borsod-Gömör vármegye".)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Borsod — (spr. Borschod), 1) (Borsodska), österreichischer Kreis im Verwaltungsgebiet Pesth Ofen ehemals 651/2 QM., nach der neuen Eintheilung 643/8 QM. mit 164,300 Ew.; gebirgig durch die Tsarhater u. Neutraer Gebirgsketten; bewässert durch die Theiß,… … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Borsod — (spr. bórschod), ungar. Komitat am rechten Theißufer, grenzt nördlich und östlich an die Komitate Gömör, Abaúj Torna, Zemplin, Szabolcs und Hajdu, südlich an Jász Nagy Kun Szolnok und westlich an Heves und umfaßt 3428 qkm (62,3 QM.) mit (1901)… … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Borsod — (spr. borrschod), ungar. Komitat im diesseitigen Theißkreis, 3630 qkm, (1900) 257.586 E.; Hauptstadt Miskólcz … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
Borsod — Borsod, ungar. Gespanschaft an der mittleren Theiß, 64 QM. groß, mit 219000 E., außerordentlich fruchtbar an Getreide, Obst, Wein; die Viehzucht ist bedeutend, Flüsse und Bäche sind reich an Fischen, die Berge wohl bewaldet; der Bergbau liefert… … Herders Conversations-Lexikon
Borsod — 48.20555555555620.9833333333337Koordinaten: 48° N, 21° O … Deutsch Wikipedia
Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County — Coat of arms … Wikipedia
Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen — Borsod Abaúj Zemplén Borsod Abaúj Zemplén megye Chef lieu Miskolc Superficie … Wikipédia en Français
Borsod Brewery — or Brewery of Borsod (Borsodi Sörgyár Rt.) is a brewery located in the village of Bőcs, near Miskolc, the capital of Borsod Abaúj Zemplén county in northeastern Hungary.HistoryConstruction of a 22,000 m² brewery began in 1969 in the village of… … Wikipedia
Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Escudo de armas … Wikipedia Español
Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén — [ borʃod ɔbɔuːj zɛmpleːn], Bezirk in Nordungarn, 7 247 km2, 730 1000 Einwohner, Hauptstadt ist Miskolc; im Nordungarischen Mittelgebirge Erz (Kupfer, Eisen) und Braunkohlenvorkommen; die Industrie (Eisenmetallurgie, chemische Industrie,… … Universal-Lexikon