Name = Anointed
Background = group_or_band
Contemporary Christian music R&B
Years_active = 1987–present
Myrrh Records/ Word Records Sony Records
URL = http://www.anointedonline.com
Current_members = Steve Crawford, Da'dra Crawford
Past_members = Mary Tiller-Woods, Nissi Walls-Allen
Anointed is a
Contemporary Christian musicduo consisting of siblingsSteve and Da'dra Crawford. Their musical style includes elements of R&B, funk, and piano ballads. The group has won seven Dove Awards, two Stellar Awardsand three Grammy Awardnominations. [http://www.jesusfreakhideout.com/news/Feb05.asp JesusFreakHideout.com - News about Anointed, 2005] ] [http://cdbaby.com/cd/nissi Nissi - solo album, "Stronger"] ] The group has also been featured on several Christian compilation albums such as "Real Life Music", 1996 and WOW The 90s.
"Anointed" was formed in 1988, by Nee-C Walls, Mary Tiller, Da'dra Crawford and Steve Crawford. [http://www.jesusfreakhideout.com/artists/Anointed.asp JesusFreakHideout.com - Anointed Bio] ] They were all still in high school at that time. Their debut, "Spiritual Love Affair", was released in 1993 on
Brainstorm Records, and distributed by Myrrh Records, a subsidiary of Word. [http://www.anointedonline.com/ Anointed Website - Bio] ]
1995 "The Call"
In 1995 Anointed released their second album, "The Call". This album would go on to become their best selling album to date, and to this day it is one of the best selling and popular contemporary Christian albums of the 90's, but controversy came with it. "The Call" won three Dove Awards, a Stellar award and a Grammy nomination. In January of 1996, fans began to see only three members of the group making concert appearances. Mary Tiller had left the group in January 1996. The group released "Under the Influence" in October 1996, without Tiller.
After the release of the group's fourth album in 1999, an extended tour followed. Nee-C Walls left the group in 2000 for other pursuits. Both Da'dra and Steve were physically exhausted and uncertain as to their next move. . The duo then enrolled in a two-year ministerial program at their church for spiritual enrichment and a deeper knowledge of the Bible. In 2001, the duo felt refreshed in body and spirit and decided to continue their musical career, although Steve says that it was never their intention to be a duet.
"If We Pray" was released early fall 2001, but because of health reasons and under promoting by the group and their record label, the album failed to gather the attention that the previous Anointed releases had. In 2002, Anointed and Word Records parted ways. Following this, the band was signed on to the Sony Urban label and "Now Is The Time" was released on 5th April 2005. [http://www.anointedonline.com/ Anointed Website - Music] ] Plans for the original group to reunite are uncertain.
Steve and Da'dra are currently a part of the Praise and Worship Team at Lakewood Church in Houston, Texas. Mary Tiller and Nee-c Walls continue to produce and write music for artists out of Nashville, Tennessee including Cece Winans, Natalie Grant and others. There are rumors of all four member reuniting for the next album but this information has not been confirmed by the group.
* "Spiritual Love Affair" (1993),
Myrrh Records- Debut
* "The Call" (1995), Myrrh Records
* "Under The Influence" (1996), Myrrh Records
* "Anointed" (1999), Myrrh Records
* "If We Pray" (2001),
* "The Best Of Anointed" (2003), Word Records - Compilation album of 12 songs from previous releases
* "Now Is The Time" (2005), Sony Urban Gospel
* "It's in God's Hands Now" (1994),
Sony BMG- single
* "Under the Influence" (1996),
Sony BMG- single
* "Beautiful", special contribution to a Left Behind soundtrack [http://www.christianitytoday.com/music/reviews/2003/thebestofanointed.html ChristianityToday.com - The Best of Anointed] ]
* "Second Chances", song featured on the soundtrack of the VeggieTales Jonah film
* "Waiting In The Wings" (1996), Myrrh Records - song from "Under The Influence" featured on the compilation album "Real Life Music"
* 1996 Dove Awards - Contemporary Gospel Album of the Year (formerly Contemporary Black Gospel), "The Call"
* 1996 Dove Awards - Contemporary Gospel Recorded Song of the Year (formerly Contemporary Black Gospel), "The Call" (Album "The Call")
* 1996 Dove Awards - Urban Recorded Song of the Year, "It's In God's Hands Now" (Album "The Call")
* 1997 Dove Awards - Urban Recorded Song of the Year, "Under the Influence" (Album "Under the Influence")
* 1998 Dove Awards - Special Event Album of the Year, "God With Us: A Celebration of Christmas Carols and Classics" (Compilation album won with
Michael W. Smith, Twila Paris, Sandi Patty, Steven Curtis Chapman, Chris Willis, Steve Green, Cheri Keaggy, Avalon, Out of the Grey, Ray Boltz, Clay Crosse, CeCe Winans, Larnelle Harris; Norman Miller; Sparrow)
* 2000 Dove Awards - Contemporary Gospel Album of the Year (formerly Contemporary Black Gospel), "Anointed"
* 2000 Dove Awards - Urban Recorded Song of the Year, "Anything Is Possible" (Album "Anointed")
Anointed have also won two
Stellar Awardsand have been nominated for a Grammy thrice.
* [http://www.anointedonline.com Official Website]
* [http://www.marytiller.com Mary Tiller's Official Website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.