39th Mayor of Chula Vista Incumbent Assumed office
Preceded by Steve Padilla Personal details Political party Republican
Cheryl Cox (born 1949) is the mayor of Chula Vista, California.
Cox, daughter of retired United States Navy Officer, John Willett. Cox, and her husband of 30 years, San Diego County Supervisor and former Chula Vista Mayor Greg Cox, have two daughters, Elizabeth and Emmie. Both Cheryl and her two daughters have graduated from Chula Vista's Hilltop High School.
Cox received Master's degree in Political Science from San Diego State University and a Doctorate in Education from the University of Southern California. She worked for 30 years as a teacher, principal, and administrator in the Chula Vista Elementary School District; she was also an assistant professor at National University before being elected to the Chula Vista Elementary School District Board of Trustees in 2000. Dr. Cox was elected the 39th Mayor of Chula Vista, the second largest city in the County of San Diego, in 2006. Currently she is a member of the City of Chula Vista Charter Review Commission, Nature Center Board of Trustees and the President of the Sharp Chula Vista Medical Center Board of Directors. She is a member of the Mayors Against Illegal Guns Coalition, an organization formed in 2006 and co-chaired by New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg and Boston mayor Thomas Menino.
Cox, a Republican, was elected mayor in November 2006 in a runoff vote against incumbent mayor Steve Padilla. In her primary election in June 2006, she garnered 40.5% of the vote to then-Mayor Steve Padilla's 30.8%, and Councilman Steve Castaneda's 24.8% of the vote.
Cox, won re-election for Mayor in the June 2010 Primary election in a three person race by winning 56.3% of the vote, her opponent Councilman Steve Castaneda garnered 29.6% and Jorge Dominguez received 13.6% of the vote.
In April 2007, the Public Integrity Unit of San Diego District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis began prosecuting political opponents of Cheryl Cox. Patrick O'Toole, who had previously been appointed as US Attorney for San Diego by Attorney General John Ashcroft, headed the unit. O'Toole prosecuted a staffer for mayor Steven Padilla who had taken two hours off work in an effort to get a photograph of Cheryl Cox with her disgraced family friend David Malcolm  at a twilight yacht party fundraiser for Cox. The staffer was charged with five felony counts of perjury for telling a grand jury that he filled out his leave slip from work before rather than after he took off from his job at the City of Chula Vista. He pled guilty to lesser charges as part of a plea deal.  
The now-dormant unit ended its active phase with a second and final prosecution, that of Steve Castaneda, who had run against Cheryl Cox for mayor. Castaneda was prosecuted for allegedly lying about whether he planned to buy a condo, even though he never bought the condo in question. According to the San Diego Union Tribune, "Castaneda was a tenant at the complex and was accused of seeking favors, such as free rent, from Sunbow owner Ash Israni, according to the 1,200-page grand jury transcript. The investigation found that Castaneda paid his rent and didn't ask for special treatment. O'Toole told the grand jury the perjury charges are warranted because Castaneda should be held accountable for 'lying about the facts'; even if no crime was uncovered...Castaneda has been vocal about O'Toole's investigations, saying they are politically motivated. He contended that Dumanis conspired with Chula Vista Mayor Cheryl Cox, his political rival in the 2006 mayoral primary."  
Mayor Cox will be termed limited from office in December 2014.
- ^ "How much clout does Cox combo carry?". SignOnSanDiego.Com. http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20070101-9999-1n1coxes.html. Retrieved 2008-02-21.
- ^ "Mayors Against Illegal Guns: Coalition Members". http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/about/members.shtml.
- ^ "DA unit works as quietly as it began". http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070520/news_1m20piu.html.
- ^ "Trial and Re-election bid could coincide". http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070923/news_1m23casta.html.
The information in the following two web pages was provided by Cheryl Cox's campaign:
- Full biography for Cheryl Cox www.smartvoter.org accessed 2006-12-30
- Voter Information for Cheryl Cox www.smartvoter.org accessed 2006-12-30
The following is Cheryl Cox's web page as mayor of Chula Vista:
- Mayor Cheryl Cox City of Chula Vista accessed 2006-12-30
The following is a San Diego Union Tribune story about Cheryl Cox:
- County official's wife aims to serve SignOnSanDiego.com by Shannon McMahon The San Diego Union-Tribune Staff Writer, February 22, 2006 accessed 2006-12-30
The following reference contains raw data about the June 2006 primary election:
- Election results www.smartvoter.org accessed 2006-12-30
The following reference regards the DA unit that in 14 months prosecuted one person (for perjury regarding a leave slip from work):
- DA unit works as quietly as it began By Tanya Mannes May 20, 2007 San Diego Union Tribune accessed 2008-1-26
Other sources of information about this subject
- Padilla criticizes Cox's record on test scores, finances, secrecy By Tanya Mannes UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER October 13, 2006 www.signonsandiego accessed 2007-1-6
- New authority figure Ex-teacher wants to bring a 'sense of order' to council By Tanya Mannes UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER October 19, 2006 www.signonsandiego accessed 2007-1-5
- Steve Padilla is the Best Choice to Lead Chula Vista into the Future November 3, 2006 Editorial (Daniel Muñoz, editor) La Prensa San Diego laprensa-sandiego.org accessed 2007-1-6
- SHOCKED, SHOCKED TO FIND OUT THAT POLITICS TOOK PLACE IN THAT GOVERNMENT OFFICE By Bill Cavala April 3, 2007 California Progress Report www.californiaprogressreport.com accessed 2007-4-18
Mayors of cities with populations exceeding 100,000 in California ^Mayor selected from city council
Other states: AL • AK • AZ • AR • CA • CO • CT • DE • FL • GA • HI • ID • IL • IN • IA • KS • KY • LA • ME • MD • MA • MI • MN • MS • MO • MT • NE • NV • NH • NJ • NM • NY • NC • ND • OH • OK • OR • PA • RI • SC • SD • TN • TX • UT • VT • VA • WA • WV • WI • WY
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cheryl Tiegs — Cheryl Rae Tiegs Born Cheryl Rae Tiegs September 25, 1947 (1947 09 25) (age 64) Breckenridge, Minnesota … Wikipedia
Cheryl Ladd — in 2007 Born Cheryl Jean Stoppelmoor July 12, 1951 (1951 07 12) (age 60) Huron, South Dakota … Wikipedia
Cheryl Hines — Hines at the 83rd Academy Awards in 2011 Born Cheryl Ruth Hines September 21, 1965 (1965 09 21) (age 46) Miami Beach, Florida … Wikipedia
Cheryl Machat Dorskind — Born 1955 Roslyn Harbor, New York Nationality American Occupation Fine art photographer, Writer Educator Cheryl Machat Dorskind (born 1955) is an American fine art photographer, writer, and educator who lives and works in Westhampton, New York … Wikipedia
Cheryl Hines — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Hines. Cheryl Hines, 2007 Cheryl Hines est une actrice et productrice américaine née le … Wikipédia en Français
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story — Promotional poster, satirizing the famous Jim Morrison pose Directed by Jake Kasdan … Wikipedia
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story — Título Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story Ficha técnica Dirección Jake Kasdan Producción Judd Apatow Jake Kasdan … Wikipedia Español
Perry Cox — Dr. Perry Cox Scrubs character First appearance My First Day Last appearance … Wikipedia
The Cox Family — Cotton Valley honors the Cox family with a tourism billboard. The Cox Family is an American Bluegrass family group from Cotton Valley in Webster Parish in northwestern Louisiana, United States … Wikipedia
Chula Vista, California — Chula Vista redirects here. For the area in Florida, see Chula Vista, Florida. Chula Vista City City of Chula Vista … Wikipedia