Roman Catholic Diocese of Raphoe
Diocese of Raphoe
The Cathedral of Saints Eunan and Colmcille, Letterkenny, the episcopal seat of the bishops of Raphoe
Location Country Republic of Ireland Territory Most of County Donegal Ecclesiastical province Province of Armagh Statistics Area 1,556 sq mi (4,030 km2) Population
Information Denomination Roman Catholic Rite Latin Rite Established 1111 Cathedral St Eunan's Cathedral, Letterkenny Patron saint St Eunan and St Columba Current leadership Pope Pope Benedict XVI Bishop Philip Boyce, O.C.D.
Bishop of Raphoe
Metropolitan Archbishop Cardinal Seán Baptist Brady,
Archbishop of Armagh
The Diocese of Raphoe, shown in green, within the Ecclesiastical Province of Armagh
The Diocese of Raphoe (Irish: Deoise Caitliceach Ráth Bhoth) is a Roman Catholic diocese in north-western Ireland. It is one of eight suffragan dioceses which are subject to the Metropolitan Archdiocese of Armagh. The present Bishop of Raphoe is The Most Rev. Dr. Philip Boyce, D.D., O.C.D.. He was enthroned as bishop on 1 October 1995.
The See covers most of County Donegal in the civil province of Ulster. It contains 33 parishes. The bishop's residence - Ard Adomnán - is in the town of Letterkenny. It is located beside the Parochial House near the Cathedral of St. Eunan and St Columba which is dedicated to the joint patrons of the diocese - Saints Eunan (also known as Adomnán) and Columcille (also known as Columba).
- James O'Gallagher (1725–1737)
- Daniel O'Gallagher, O.F.M. (1737–1749)
- Anthony O'Donnell, O.F.M. (1750–1755)
- Nathaniel O'Donnell (1755–1758)
- Philip O'Reilly (1759–1782)
- Anthony Coyle (1782–1801)
- Peter McLaughlin (1802–1819)
- Patrick McGettigan (1820–1861)
- Daniel McGettigan (1861–1870)
- James McDevitt (1871–1879)
- Michael Logue (1879–1887)
- Patrick O'Donnell (cardinal) (1888–1922)
- William MacNeely (1923–1963)
- Anthony Columba McFeely (1965–1982)
- Séamus Hegarty (1982–1994)
- Philip Boyce, O.C.D. (1995–present)
- Sexual abuse scandal in Raphoe diocese
- Diocese of Derry and Raphoe (Church of Ireland)
- ^ Archdiocese of Armagh. Retrieved on 16 January 2009.
- ^ Fryde, E. B.; Greenway, D. E.; Porter, S.; Roy, I. (1986). Handbook of British Chronology (3rd ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. pp. 441–442. ISBN 0-521-56350-X.
- ^ Moody, T. W.; Martin, F. X.; Byrne, F. J., eds (1984). Maps, Genealogies, Lists: A Companion to Irish History, Part II. New History of Ireland: Volume XI. Oxford: Oxford University Press. pp. 352–354. ISBN 0198217455.
- ^ Diocese of Raphoe. Catholic Hierarchy. Retrieved on 26 April 2010.
- Diocese of Raphoe (Official Website)
- Diocese of Raphoe (Irish Catholic Bishops' Conference)
- Diocese of Raphoe (Catholic-Hierarchy website)
- Diocese of Raphoe (Giga-Catholic Information)
- Raphoe: Profile of the diocese (CatholicCity.com, from Catholic Encyclopedia)
Roman Catholic dioceses in Ireland Province of Armagh Province of Cashel Province of Dublin Province of Tuam
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Roman Catholic Diocese of Derry — Diocese of Derry Dioecesis Derrienus St Eugene s Cathedral viewed from the walls of Derry Location … Wikipedia
Roman Catholic Diocese of Down and Connor — Diocese of Down and Connor Dioecesis Dunensis et Connorensis St Peter s Cathedral, Belfast Location … Wikipedia
Roman Catholic Diocese of Ferns — Diocese of Ferns Dioecesis Fernensis St. Aidan’s Cathedral, Enniscorthy Location … Wikipedia
Roman Catholic Diocese of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora — Diocese of Galway, Kilmacduagh and Kilfenora Dioecesis Galviensis, Duacensis et Finaborensis The Cathedral of Our Lady Assumed into Heaven and St Nicholas, Galway … Wikipedia
Roman Catholic Diocese of Killala — Diocese of Killala Dioecesis Alladensis St. Muredach’s Cathedral, Ballina, the episcopal seat of the bishops of Killala … Wikipedia
Roman Catholic Diocese of Ossory — Diocese of Ossory Dioecesis Ossoriensis St. Mary s Cathedral, Kilkenny, the episcopal seat of the bishops of Ossory … Wikipedia
Roman Catholic Diocese of Cloyne — Diocese of Cloyne Dioecesis Cloynensis St. Colman’s Cathedral, Cobh Location … Wikipedia
Roman Catholic Diocese of Clonfert — Diocese of Clonfert Dioecesis Clonfertensis Location Country Republic of Ireland Territory Parts of counties Galway, Offaly and … Wikipedia
Roman Catholic Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin — Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin Dioecesis Kildarensis et Leighlinensis The Cathedral of the Assumption, Carlow. Location … Wikipedia
Roman Catholic Diocese of Achonry — Diocese of Achonry Dioecesis Achadensis The Cathedral of the Annunciation and St. Nathy, Ballaghaderreen Location … Wikipedia