- Landing Ship, Tank
Landing Ship, Tank (LST) was the military designation for naval vessels created during World War II to support amphibious operations by carrying significant quantities of vehicles, cargo, and landing troops directly onto an unimproved shore.
- 1 LST Mk.1
- 2 LST Mk.2
- 3 LST Mk.3
- 4 Service in World War II
- 5 Post-War developments
- 6 Last WWII survivors
- 7 Modern developments
- 8 Literature
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 External links
Class overview Name: LST Maracaibo class Builders: conversion at Furness Operators: Royal Navy Succeeded by: Boxer Completed: HMS Misoa
General characteristics Tonnage: 4,800 long tons (4,877 t) GRT Length: 382 ft (116 m) Beam: 64 ft Draught: Fully laden :
15 ft (4.6 m) aft
4 ft (1.2 m) forward
Ramps: Double hinged ramp, effective length of 100 ft (30 m) Propulsion: reciprocating steam engine, 2 shafts, 3,000 shp Capacity: 18 × 30 ton tanks or 22 × 25 ton tanks or 33 × 3-ton trucks Troops: Berths for 217 troops Complement: 98 Combined Operations personnel Armament: • 1 × twin 40 mm gun
• 6 × 20 mm guns
• 3 × Lewis guns
• 2 × 4 in (100 mm) smoke mortars
Notes: Equipment: 2 × 50 ton derrick cranes
Class overview Name: LST (1) Boxer class Builders: Harland and Wolff Operators: Royal Navy Preceded by: Maracaibo Succeeded by: LST (2) Completed: 3: Boxer, QF 2 pdr, 8 x 20 mm Oerlikon, 2 x 4 inch smoke mortar Notes: Equipment: 1 × 40 ton crane
The British evacuation from Dunkirk in 1940 demonstrated to the Admiralty that the Allies needed relatively large, ocean-going ships capable of shore-to-shore delivery of tanks and other vehicles in amphibious assaults upon the continent of Europe. As an interim measure, three 4000 to 4800 GRT tankers, built to pass over the restrictive bars of Lake Maracaibo, Venezuela, were selected for conversion because of their shallow draft. Bow doors and ramps were added to these ships which became the first tank landing ships, "LST (1)": invasion of Algeria in 1942, but their bluff bows made for inadequate speed and pointed up the need for an all-new design incorporating a sleeker hull.
The first purpose-built LST design was HMS Boxer. It was a scaled down design from ideas penned by Churchill. In order to carry 13 Churchill infantry tanks, 27 vehicles and nearly 200 men (in addition to the crew) at a speed of 18 knots, it could not have the shallow draught that would make for easy unloading. As a result, each of the three (Boxer, Bruiser, and Thruster) ordered in March 1941 had a very long ramp stowed behind the bow doors.
The three ships were converted to "Fighter Direction Ships" for the invasion of Normandy.
Class overview Name: LST (2) Operators: United States Navy
Royal Canadian Navy
Subclasses: LST-1 class
Completed: c. 1000 General characteristics Displacement: 1,780 long tons (1,809 t) light
3,880 long tons (3,942 t) full load
Length: 327 ft 9 in (99.90 m) Beam: 50 ft (15 m) Draught: Unloaded :
3 ft 4 in (1.02 m) bow
7 ft 6 in (2.29 m) stern
8 ft 2 in (2.49 m) bow
14 ft 1 in (4.29 m) stern
Propulsion: 2 × General Motors 12-567 diesel engines, two shafts, twin rudders Speed: 12 knots (14 mph; 22 km/h) Boats and landing
2 to 6 LCVPs Troops: Approx. 140 officers and other ranks Complement: 8 to 10 officers, 100 to 115 enlisted Armament: • 1 × 3 in (76 mm) gun
• 6 × 40 mm Bofors guns
• 6 × 20 mm guns
• 2 × .50 cal (12.7 mm) machine guns
• 4 × .30 cal (7.62 mm) machine guns
At their first meeting at the Atlantic conference in Argentia, Newfoundland in August 1941, President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Prime Minister Winston Churchill confirmed the Admiralty's views. In November 1941, a small delegation from the Admiralty arrived in the United States to pool ideas with the United States Navy's Bureau of Ships with regard to development of ships and also including the possibility of building further Boxers in the US. During this meeting, it was decided that the Bureau of Ships would design these vessels. As with the standing agreement these would be built by the US so British shipyards could concentrate on building vessels for the Royal Navy. The specification called for vessels capable of crossing the Atlantic and the original title given to them was "Atlantic Tank Landing Craft" (Atlantic (T.L.C.)). Calling a vessel 300 ft (91 m) long a "craft" was considered a misnomer and the type was re-christened "Landing Ship, Tank (2)", or "LST (2)".
The LST(2) design incorporated elements of the first British LCTs from their designer, Sir Rowland Baker, who was part of the British delegation. This included sufficient buoyancy in the ships' sidewalls that they would float even with the tank deck flooded. The LST(2) gave up the speed of HMS Boxer at only 10 knots but had a similar load while drawing a draught of only 3 feet forward when beaching.
Within a few days, John C. Niedermair of the Bureau of Ships sketched out an awkward looking ship that proved to be the basic design for the more than 1,000 "LST (2)" which would be built during World War II. To meet the conflicting requirements of deep draft for ocean travel and shallow draft for beaching the ship was designed with a large ballast system that could be filled for ocean passage and pumped out for beaching operations. An anchor and mechanical winch system also aided in the ship's ability to pull itself off the beach. The rough sketch was sent to Britain on 5 November 1941 and accepted immediately. The Admiralty then requested the United States to build 200 "LST (2)" for the Royal Navy under the terms of lend-lease.
The preliminary plans initially called for an LST 280 feet (85 m) in length; but, in January 1942, the Bureau of Ships discarded these drawings in favor of specifications for a ship 290 feet (88 m) long. Within a month final working plans were developed which further stretched the overall length to 328 feet (100 m) and called for a 50-foot (15 m) beam and minimum draft of 3.8 feet (1.2 m). This scheme distributed the ship's weight over a greater area enabling her to ride higher in the water when in landing trim. The LST could carry a 2,100-ton (1,900 t) load of tanks and vehicles. The larger dimensions also permitted the designers to increase the width of the bow door opening and ramp from 12 to 14 feet (3.7 to 4.3 m) and thus accommodate most Allied vehicles. As the dimensions and weight of the LST increased, steel plating thickness increased from 0.25-inch (6.4 mm) to 0.375-inch (9.5 mm) on the deck and sides with 1-inch-thick plating under the bow. By January 1942, the first scale model of the LST had been built and was undergoing tests at the David Taylor Model Basin in Washington, D.C.
Provisions were made for the satisfactory ventilation of the tank space while the tank motors were running, and an elevator was provided to lower vehicles from the main deck to the tank deck for disembarking. In April 1942 a mock-up of the well deck of an LST was constructed at Fort Knox, Kentucky to resolve the problem of ventilation within the LST well-deck. The interior of the building was constructed to duplicate all the features found within an actual LST. Being the home to the Armored Force Board, Fort Knox supplied tanks to run on the inside while Naval architects developed a ventilation system capable of evacuating the well-deck of harmful gases. Testing was completed in three months. This historic building remains at Fort Knox today.
Early LST operations required overcoming the 18th century language of the Articles for the Government of the United States Navy: "He who doth suffer his ships to founder on rocks and shoals shall be punished..." There were some tense moments of concept testing at Quonset, Rhode Island in early 1943 when designer Niedermair encouraged the commanding officer of the first U.S. LST to drive his ship onto the beach at full speed of 10 knots (19 km/h).
In three separate acts dated 6 February 1942, 26 May 1943, and 17 December 1943, Congress provided the authority for the construction of LSTs along with a host of other auxiliaries, destroyer escorts, and assorted landing craft. The enormous building program quickly gathered momentum. Such a high priority was assigned to the construction of LSTs that the previously laid keel of an aircraft carrier was hastily removed to make room for several LSTs to be built in her place. The keel of the first LST was laid down on 10 June 1942 at Newport News, Va., and the first standardized LSTs were floated out of their building dock in October. Twenty-three were in commission by the end of 1942.
The LST building program was unique in several respects. As soon as the basic design had been developed, contracts were let and construction was commenced in quantity before the completion of a test vessel. Preliminary orders were rushed out verbally or by telegrams, telephone, and air mail letters. The ordering of certain materials actually preceded the completion of design work. While many heavy equipment items such as main propulsion machinery were furnished directly by the Navy, the balance of the procurement was handled centrally by the Material Coordinating Agency — an adjunct of the Bureau of Ships — so that the numerous builders in the program would not have to bid against one another. Through vigorous follow-up action on materials ordered, the agency made possible the completion of construction schedules in record time.
The need for LSTs was urgent, and the program enjoyed a high priority throughout the war. Since most shipbuilding activities were located in coastal yards and were largely used for construction of large, deep-draft ships, new construction facilities were established along inland waterways. In some instances, heavy-industry plants such as steel fabrication yards were converted for LST construction. This posed the problem of getting the completed ships from the inland building yards to deep water. The chief obstacles were bridges. The Navy successfully undertook the modification of bridges and, through a "Ferry Command" of Navy crews, transported the newly constructed ships to coastal ports for fitting out. The success of these "cornfield" shipyards of the Middle West was a revelation to the long-established shipbuilders on the coasts. Their contribution to the LST building program was enormous. Of the 1,051 LSTs built during World War II, 670 were constructed by five major inland builders. Chicago Bridge and Iron shipyard in Seneca, Illinois launched 156 ships and was specifically chosen because of their reputation and skills, particularly in welding. The most LSTs constructed during World War II were built in Evansville, Indiana, by Missouri Valley Bridge and Iron, & International Steel Co.
By 1943, the construction time for an LST had been reduced to four months. By the end of the war, this had been cut to two months. Considerable effort was expended to hold the ship's design constant, but, by mid-1943, operating experience led to the incorporation of certain changes in the new ships.
The LST-491 class replaced the elevator installed in the original LST-1 class, to transfer equipment between the tank deck and the main deck, with a ramp that was hinged at the main deck. This allowed vehicles to be driven directly from the main deck into the tank deck, and then across the bow ramp to the beach or causeway, speeding the process of disembarkation.
Changes in the later LST-542 class included the addition of a navigation bridge, the installation of a water distillation plant with a capacity of 4,000 gallons per day, the removal of the tank deck ventilator tubes from the center section of the main deck, the strengthening the main deck to carry an LCT, and an upgrade in armor and armament, with the addition of a 3"/50 caliber gun.
Class overview Name: LST (3) Builders: R & W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd, Harland and Wolff, Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd, Vickers-Armstrongs Operators: Royal Navy
Royal Australian Navy
Royal Netherlands Navy
Planned: 119 Completed: UK:
31 × LST (3)
2 × LST (C)
2 × LST (Q)
26 × LST (3)
Cancelled: 40 + 6 scrapped before completion Active: 0 Preserved: 0 General characteristics Displacement: 2,140 tons light
4,980 long tons (5,060 t) full load
Length: 347 ft (106 m) o/a Beam: 55 ft 2 in (16.81 m) Draught: Loaded :
4 ft 7 in (1.40 m) bow
11 ft 6 in (3.51 m) stern
Ramps: 23 feet by 14 feet ramp Propulsion: Twin screws, steam reciprocating engines, 5,500 hp (4,100 kW), 10 ft (3.0 m) propeller Speed: 13 knots (15 mph; 24 km/h) Capacity: 10 tanks plus 15 vehicles Troops: 13 officers and 150 men Complement: 14 officers and 90 men Armament: 8 x 20 mm Oerlikon for A/A defence on some ships
The LST (2) design was successful and production extensive but there was still a need for more LST's for British operations. As such it was decided to build a further 80 of them in UK and Canada to be available in the spring of 1945.
The British Staff drew up their own specification:
- To embark and disembark tanks, motor transport etc. on beaches of varying slopes, and amphibians and DD Shermans into deep water.
- To carry five Landing Craft Assault (LCA) or similar craft and one LCT (5) or LCT (6) on the upper deck in place of transport and as an alternative to LCT (5) two NL causeway to be carried; the LCT (5) and NL causeways to be capable of launching direct from the upper deck.
- To carry 500 tons of military load and to beach with that and sufficient fuel and stores for 1,000 miles (1,600 km) return journey at 10 knots (19 km/h), on draughts 4 ft 6 in (1.37 m) forward and 11 ft 6 in (3.51 m) aft.
- To be capable of carrying a load of sixty tons over the main ramp and ten tons over the vehicle ramp (i.e. the 50 ft (15 m) ramp from the upper deck to the bow door. After trials, this was removed from some vessels)
- To be fitted for operations in the tropics and in cold climates.
Two major problems made a redesign necessary. The locomotive type diesel engines were not available. Staff wanted more power and higher speeds if possible. The only engines available were very heavy steam reciprocating engines from frigates that had been cancelled. These delivered two and a half times the power of the diesels. So large were they that significant changes had to be made to accommodate them. Lack of welded construction facilities meant that the hull had to be riveted. This combination of heavy hull and heavy engines meant that speed was only 3 knots faster than the LCT(2)
At the same time some other improvements were made as well as simplifications needed to allow for rivetting most of the structure. The cutaway hard chine which had been dropped in the American version of the design of the Mark 2 vessels was restored. The tank deck, which was above the waterline, was made parallel to the keel, there was to be no round down to the upper deck, and the ship was enlarged to accommodate the more bulky machinery.
Provision was made for carrying the British Landing Craft Assault (LCA) in gravity davits, instead of American assault craft. Provision was also made for carrying Landing Craft Tank (LCT) and Landing Craft Mechanized (LCM), and NL pontoon causeways.
When the design was commenced, it was known that the beaches on which the ships were expected to be used would be very flat, but it was not possible to produce a satisfactory vessel with a 3 ft (0.91 m) draught forward, and very little keel slope, so the 1 in 50 keel slope was maintained. It was known that the 1:50 slope would often result in the LST grounding aft on a shallow beach, resulting in the vehicles being discharged into comparatively deep water.
Various methods had been investigated to overcome the problem, but heavy grounding skegs and the N.L. pontoon causeways were finally accepted as standard; the pontoon causeways were formed of pontoons 7 ft (2.1 m) × 5 ft × 5 ft (1.5 m), made up into strings and rafts. When offloading, the rafts were secured to the fore end of the ship, and the load discharged directly onto the shore, or towed on the raft to the shore.
The ships were fitted out for service in both very cold and tropical conditions. The accommodation provided for both crew and army personnel was greatly improved compared with "LST (2)". The main hazard, apart from enemy action, was fire on the tank deck. Fire sprinklers were provided, but the water drenching system installed in later American vessels could not be provided.
The bow door arrangements were similar to the "LST (2)", but the bow ramp was arranged in two parts in an attempt to increase the number of beaches onto which direct discharge would be possible. The machinery for operating the bow doors and ramp were electrical, but otherwise steam auxiliaries were fitted instead of the electrical gear on the "LST (2)".
The general arrangements of the tank deck were similar, but head room was increased, and a ramp fitted to reach the top deck, as in later "LST (2)"s. Provision was made for carrying LCA on gravity davits instead of the American built assault boats.
The arrangements were generally an improvement on the "LST (2)"s, but they suffered from their deeper draught, and to some extent from the haste in which they were built.
First orders were placed in December 1943, 45 with British builders, and 35 with Canadian builders. The first of these ships was delivered by Swan Hunter in December 1944. During 1944, follow up orders were placed in Canada for a further 36. These programmes were in full swing when the war ended, not all vessels were completed.
The ships were numbered numbers LST - 3001 to LST 3045 and LST -3501 to 3534. LST -3535 and later were cancelled.
Steam was supplied by a pair of Admiralty 3-drum water-tube type boilers, working at 225 pounds per square inch. The main engines were of the 4-cylinder triple expansion 4-crank type, balanced on the Yarrow-Tweedy-Slick system, the cylinders being as follows;
High pressure 18.5 in diameter Medium pressure 31.0 in diameter Forward low pressure 38.5 in diameter Aft low pressure 38.5 in diameter
The common stroke was 30 inches (760 mm). The piston and slide valve rods were all fitted with metallic packing to the stuffing boxes, and all pistons fitted with packing rings and springs. The high-pressure valve was of the piston type, whilst the remaining ones were of the balanced type. The main engines were designed to develop 2,750 hp (2,050 kW) at 185 rpm continuously.
With the ships being twin screw, the engines were fitted with a shaft coupling to the crank shaft at the forward end, allowing the engine to be turned end to end to suit either port or starboard side fitting.
Modifications for landing craft
When the "LST (3)"s were being ordered the "LST (2)" programme was in full swing, and similar arrangements were made to enable the LSTs to carry the 112 feet (34 m) long LCT5 or LCT6 which were being built in America for the Royal Navy.
The LCT needed lifting onto the deck of the ship, being carried on wedge-shaped support blocks; at the time of launching she was set down on the "launch ways" by simply slacking off bolts in the wedge blocks, allowing the launch way to take the weight. To carry out a launch, the LST was simply heeled over about 11 degrees by careful flooding of tanks in the hull. The height of the drop was about 10 ft (3.0 m), and immediately after the launch the craft's engines were started and they were ready for operation.
This method was used for moving LCT5s from Britain to the far east, although there seems to be no reference to LST (3)'s being used, most being completed late in or after the war.
Even at the end of the war there was a need for more ships able to carry minor landing craft, and two of the LST (3)'s then completing were specially fitted to carry LCM (7). These craft, which were 58 ft (18 m) long and weighed about 28 tons, were carried transversely on the upper deck of the ship. They were hoisted on by means of a specially fitted 30-ton derrick; This 30 ton derrick replaced a 15-ton derrick, two of which were the standard fit of the LST (3). The 30-ton derrick was taller and generally more substantial than the 15 ton one.
The LCM (7)s were landed on trolleys fitted with hydraulic jacks. These ran on rails down each side of the deck, and were hauled to and fro by means of winches. The stowage was filled from fore to aft as each craft was jacked down onto fixed cradles between the rails. The ships completed to this standard were LST-3043/HMS Messina, and LST-3044/HMS Narvik. While these ships were able to carry LCMs, they were only able to carry out loading and unloading operations under nearly ideal weather conditions, and as such were not able to be used as such for assault operations; they also lacked the facilities to maintain the landing craft (which the Dock Landing Ships provided).
The LCAs, or Landing Craft Assault, were wartime developments. Wooden hulled, with a length of 41 ft 6 in (12.65 m) overall including propeller guards. Beam was 10 ft (3.0 m), and had a displacement of 10 tons, rising to 13 tons fully loaded. Draught was 2 ft 3 in (0.69 m), and normal load was 35 troops with 800 lb (360 kg) of equipment. A pair of Scripps marine conversions of Ford V8 marine engines, producing 130 bhp (97 kW) at 2,800 rpm, provided propulsion producing 11 knots (20 km/h) unloaded, 8 knots (15 km/h) service speed, 3 knots (5.6 km/h) on one engine. Range was 50–80 miles on 64 gallons. Armament was typically a Bren Gun aft; with two Lewis Guns in a port forward position.
The LCM (7)'s that were carried on the LST (2) were considerably larger, 60 ft 3 in (18.36 m) in length, 16 ft (4.9 m) beam, with a hoisting weight of 28 tons, full load displacement of 63 tons. Beaching draught was 3 ft 8 in (1.12 m), and propulsion was provided by a pair of Hudson Invader petrol engines, later replaced with Grays diesels, both sets providing 290 bhp (220 kW), giving a speed of 9.8 knots (18.1 km/h).
The main requirement of the design was to carry a 40-ton Churchill tank or bulldozer at 10 knots (19 km/h). 140 had been completed when the war ended, and some saw service through to the 1970s.
Some LST(3) were converted to LST(A) (A for "assault") by adding stiffening so they could carry the heaviest British tanks.
Two LST(3) were converted to command vessels, LST(C): LST 3043 and LST 3044. Post war they became HMS Messina (L112) and HMS Narvik (L114). They were better armed with ten 20 mm Oerlikons and four 40 mm Bofors.
Two LST(3) were converted during building into Headquarters command ships LST(Q) these were L3012 which became L3101 (and later HMS Ben Nevis) and LST 3013 which became LST 3102, and then HMS Ben Lomond. They acted as LST "mother ships", similar in most aspects to American ships based on the LST (2) hull. They had two Quonset huts erected on the main deck to accommodate 40 officers. Berths on the tank deck berthed an extra 196 men. A bake shop and 16 refrigeration boxes for fresh provisions augmented the facilities normally provided for the crew. Four extra distilling units were added, and the ballast tanks were converted for the storage of fresh water.
Service in World War II
At the Armor Training School in Ft. Knox, KY, buildings were erected as exact mock-ups of an LST. Tank crews in training learned how to maneuver their vehicles onto, in and from an LST with these facilities. One of these buildings has been preserved at Ft. Knox for historic reasons and can still be seen there.
From their combat debut in the Solomon Islands in June 1943 until the end of the hostilities in August 1945, the LSTs performed a vital service in World War II. They participated in the invasions of Sicily (Operation Husky), Italy, Normandy, and southern France in the European Theater and were an essential element in the island-hopping campaigns in the Pacific which culminated in the liberation of the Philippines and the capture of Iwo Jima and Okinawa.
The LST proved to be a remarkably versatile ship. A number of them were converted to become landing craft repair ships (ARL). In this design, the bow ramp and doors were removed, and the bow was sealed. Derricks, booms, and winches were added to haul damaged landing craft on board for repairs, and blacksmith, machine, and electrical workshops were provided on the main deck and tank deck. Another successful conversion was the LST "Mother Ship". This version of the standard LST hull had two Quonset huts erected on the main deck to accommodate 40 officers. Bunks on the tank deck berthed an additional 196 men. A bake shop and 16 refrigeration boxes for fresh provisions augmented the facilities normally provided the crew. Four extra distilling units were added, and the ballast tanks were converted for storage of fresh water.
Thirty-eight LSTs were converted to serve as small hospital ships and designated LSTH. They supplemented the many standard LSTs which removed casualties from the beach following the landing of their cargo of tanks and vehicles. LSTs had brought 41,035 wounded men back across the English Channel from Normandy by D-Day+114 (28 September 1944). Other LSTs, provided with extra cranes and handling gear, were used exclusively for replenishing ammunition. They possessed a special advantage in this role, as their size permitted two or three LSTs to go simultaneously alongside an anchored battleship or cruiser to accomplish replenishment more rapidly than standard ammunition ships.
In the latter stages of World War II, some LSTs such as USS LST-906 were fitted with flight decks from which small observation planes were sent up during amphibious operations. It has been estimated that, in the combined fleets assembled for the war on Japan, the tonnage of landing ships, excluding landing craft, would have exceeded five million tons and nearly all built within four years.
Throughout the war, LSTs demonstrated a remarkable capacity to absorb punishment and survive. Despite the sobriquets "Large Slow Target" and "Large Stationary Target" which were applied to them by irreverent crew members, the LSTs suffered few losses in proportion to their number and the scope of their operations. Their brilliantly conceived structural arrangement provided unusual strength and buoyancy; HMS LST 3002 was struck and holed in a post-war collision with a Victory ship and survived. Although the LST was considered a valuable target by the enemy, only 26 were lost due to enemy action, and a mere 13 were the victims of weather, reef, or accident. A total of 1,152 LSTs were contracted for in the great naval building program of World War II, but 101 were cancelled in the fall of 1942 because of shifting construction priorities. Of 1,051 actually constructed, 113 LSTs were transferred to Britain under the terms of Lend-Lease, and four more were turned over to the Greek Navy. Conversions to other ship types with different hull designations accounted for 116.
The end of World War II left the Navy with a huge inventory of amphibious ships. Hundreds of these were scrapped or sunk, and most of the remaining ships were put in "mothballs" to be preserved for the future. Additionally, many of the LSTs were demilitarized and sold to the private sector, along with thousands of other transport ships, contributing to a major downturn in shipbuilding in the United States following the war. Also, many LSTs were used as targets in aquatic nuclear testing after the war, being readily available and serving no apparent military applications. World War II era LSTs have become somewhat ubiquitous, and have found a number of novel commercial uses, including operating as small freighters, ferries, and dredges. Consequently, construction of LSTs in the immediate post-war years was modest. LST-1153 and LST-1154, commissioned respectively in 1947 and 1949, were the only steam-driven LSTs ever built by the Navy. They provided improved berthing arrangements and a greater cargo capacity than their predecessors.
The success of the amphibious assault at Inchon during the Korean War pointed out the utility of LSTs once again. This was in contrast with the earlier opinion expressed by many military authorities that the advent of the atomic bomb had relegated amphibious landings to a thing of the past. As a consequence, fifteen LSTs of what were later to be known as the Terrebonne Parish-class were constructed in the early 1950s. These new LSTs were 56 feet (17 m) longer and were equipped with four, rather than two, diesel engines, which increased their speed to 15 knots (28 km/h). Three-inch 50-caliber twin mounts replaced the old twin 40-millimeter guns, and controllable pitch propellers improved the ship's backing power. On 1 July 1955, county or parish names (Louisiana counties are called "parishes") were assigned to many LSTs, which up to then had borne only a letter-number hull designation.
In the late 1950s, seven LSTs of the De Soto County-class were constructed. These were an improved version over earlier LSTs, with a high degree of habitability for the crew and embarked troops. Considered the "ultimate" design attainable with the traditional LST bow door configuration, they were capable of 17.5 knots (32.4 km/h).
The LST (3) as commercial ferry
In 1946 a brand new concept of transport was developed in the UK. It was during World War II that a few experienced men recognised the great potential of landing ships and craft. The idea was simple; if you could drive tanks, guns and lorries directly onto a ship and then drive them off at the other end directly onto a beach, then theoretically you could use the same landing craft to carry out the same operation in the civilian commercial market, providing there were reasonable port facilities. From this idea grew the worldwide roll-on/roll-off ferry industry of today. In the period between the wars Michael Bustard formed the Atlantic Steam Navigation Company, with a view to cheap transatlantic travel, this never materialised, but during the war he observed trials on Brighton Sands of an LST in 1943 when its peacetime capabilities were obvious.
In the spring of 1946 Michael Bustard approached the Admiralty with a request to purchase three of these vessels. The Admiralty were unwilling to sell, but after negotiations agreed to let the ASN have the use of three vessels on bareboat charter at a rate of £13 6s 8d per day. These vessels were LSTs 3519, 3534, and 3512. They were renamed Empire Baltic, Empire Cedric, and Empire Celtic, perpetuating the name of White Star Line ships.
The chartered vessels had to be adapted for their new role. First the accommodation on board had to be improved, and alterations in the engine and boiler rooms had also to be made. Modified funnels and navigational aids had also to be provided before they could enter service. On the morning of 11 September 1946 the first voyage of the Atlantic Steam Navigation Company took place when the Empire Baltic sailed from Tilbury to Rotterdam with a full load of 64 vehicles for the Dutch Government. On arrival at Waalhaven the vessel beached using the method employed during wartime landings, being held by a stern anchor. The vessel stayed on the beach overnight, returning at 08:00 the next morning. This leisurely pace of work was followed for the first few voyages, the beach being employed possibly due to normal port facilities being unavailable due to wartime damage. Following the Rotterdam maiden voyage, ASN used their new vessels to transfer thousands of vehicles for the Army from Tilbury to Hamburg, later moved to Antwerp in 1955.
The original three LSTs were joined in 1948 by another vessel, LST 3041, renamed Empire Doric, after the ASN were able to convince commercial operators to support the new route between Preston and the Antrim port of Larne. Originally Liverpool was chosen, but opposition from other operators led to a move to Preston in Lancashire. However, special port facilities were constructed at both Preston and Larne before the new route could be opened – a wartime-built end loading ramp built by engineers during World War II at Preston, and a floating pontoon from a Mulberry harbour connected via a bridge to the Quay at Larne.
The first sailing of this new route was on 21 May 1948 by Empire Cedric. After the inaugural sailing Empire Cedric continued on the Northern Ireland service, offering initially a twice-weekly service. Empire Cedric was the first vessel of the ASN fleet to hold a Passenger Certificate, and was allowed to carry fifty passengers. Thus Empire Cedric became the first vessel in the world to operate as a commercial/passenger Roll-on/roll-off ferry, and the ASN became the first commercial company to offer this type of service.
Some of the first cargo on this service were two lorry-loads of 65 gas cookers each on behalf of Messrs Moffats of Blackburn, believed to be the first commercial vehicles carried in this way as freight. The Preston—Larne service continued to expand, so much so that in 1950 the service was expanded to include a service to Belfast. This service opened in 1950 and sailings out of Preston were soon increased to six or seven a week to either Belfast or Larne.
In 1954, the British Transport Commission (BTC) took over the ASN under the Labour Governments nationalization policy. In 1955 another two LSTs where chartered into the existing fleet, Empire Cymric and Empire Nordic, bringing the fleet strength to seven. The Hamburg service was terminated in 1955, and a new service was opened between Antwerp and Tilbury. The fleet of seven ships was to be split up with the usual three ships based at Tilbury and the others maintaining the Preston to Northern Ireland service.
During late 1956, the entire fleet of ASN were taken over for use in the Mediterranean during the Suez Crisis, and the Drive on/Drive off services were not re-established until January 1957. At this point ASN were made responsible for the management of twelve Admiralty LST (3)'s brought out of reserve as a result of the Suez Crisis too late to see service.
The LST (3) in Army service
A major task at the end of World War II was the redistribution of stores and equipment worldwide. Due to the scarcity and expense of merchant shipping it was decided in 1946 that the Royal Army Service Corps civilian fleet should take over seven LSTs from the Royal Navy, These were named after distinguished corps officers; Evan Gibb, Charles Macleod, Maxwell Brander, Snowden Smith, Humphrey Gale, Reginald Kerr, Fredrick Glover.
The LSTs needed to comply with Board of Trade regulations, and to be brought up to merchant navy standards, which involved lengthy alterations including extra accommodation. On completion, five vessels sailed for the Middle East, and two for the Far East.
Similar work was done worldwide until 1952 when the ships were handed over to the Atlantic Steam Navigation Company, and subsequently in 1961 to the British-India Steam Navigation Company, tasked by the War Office directly, RASC having no further concern with their administration.
The LST (3) as aviation training ship
The rapid increase in the use of helicopters in the Royal Navy in the late 1950s and 1960s required an increase in the training and support facilities ashore and afloat. Operational training for aircrew was carried out by naval air stations at Portland and Culdrose. The scrapping of some carriers, and conversion of other to commando carriers in the mid-1950s left a shortage of suitable decks. This led to the ordering of the RFA Engadine in 1964; however she would not be available till 1967, in the meantime it was decided to convert LST 3027 to serve as an interim training ship.
This work was carried out at Devonport Dockyard in 1964. The deck forward of the cargo hatch was cleared of all obstructions, and strengthened for helicopter use. A small deckhouse used to support the gun emplacements was retained, although no guns were fitted, and it was used by the Flight Deck Officer as a helicopter control position. Below deck, two 10,000 gallon aviation fuel tanks were installed at the fore end of the tank deck, and refuelling positions provided at the fore end of the flight deck. The tanks were sealed off by a bulkhead and the rest of the space used for stores, workshops and accommodation. Finally the bow doors were sealed, as they would no longer be needed. The flight deck was large enough for two Westland Wessex helicopters with rotors turning, or six could be parked with rotors folded. Renamed HMS Lofoten she proved extremely useful in service, and many lessons were learned that would be incorporated into Engadine.
Last WWII survivors
USS LST-325, previously LST-120 and Hellenic Navy RHS Syros (L-144) is one of the last operating survivors of World War II. It is currently home ported at Evansville, Indiana at the USS LST Memorial museum. The ship is kept in navigable shape and participated in a cruise from Evansville, Indiana to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania for the Amphibious Reunion in Pittsburgh from September 1–7, 2010. Upon completion of the reunion, the ship sailed from Pittsburgh to Marietta, Ohio, to take part in the Sternwheel Festival.
USS LST-393 which participated in the landings on Sicily; at Salerno, and the Invasion of Normandy is now located in Muskegon, Michigan as a museum and undergoing restoration.
USS Maricopa County, previously USS LST-938, had been transferred to the Republic of Vietnam Navy, and after the Fall of Saigon was captured by North Vietnamese forces. As of 2003[update], she is active and in commission with the Vietnamese People's Navy as the Tran Khanh Du.
The Philippine Navy received 20+ units of the LST Mk.2 since 1969, and still have 7 units on their active list as of 2010. This includes BRP Laguna (LT-501) (ex-USS LST-230), BRP Zamboanga del Sur (LT-86) (ex-USS Marion County (LST-975), BRP Kalinga Apayao (LT-516) (ex-USS Garrett County (LST-786) and BRP Benguet (LT-507) (ex-USS Daviess County (LST-692).
The commissioning of the Newport-class in 1969 marked the introduction of an entirely new concept in the design of LSTs. She was the first of a new class of 20 LSTs capable of steaming at a sustained speed of 20 knots (37 km/h). To obtain that speed, the traditional blunt bow doors of the LST were replaced by a pointed ship bow. Unloading is accomplished through the use of a 112-foot (34 m) ramp operated over the bow and supported by twin derrick arms. A stern gate to the tank deck permits unloading of LVTs into the water or the unloading of other vehicles into a landing craft utility (LCU), onto a pier, or directly into the water. Capable of operating with high-speed amphibious squadrons consisting of LHAs, LPDs, and LSDs, the Newport-class LST can transport tanks, other heavy vehicles, and engineer equipment which cannot readily be landed by helicopters or landing craft. The Newport type has been removed from the U.S. Navy, but serves on in the navies of Brazil, Chile, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, Taiwan, Spain, in a modified form, Australia and soon with Peru. Indian Navy also maintains a fleet of LSTs.
The Ninety and Nine by William Brinkley, author of Don't Go Near the Water, portrays an LST running supplies to Anzio during World War II. The title refers to the ship's company of ninety enlisted men and nine officers. The book opens with a quotation attributed to Winston Churchill - "The destinies of two great empires ... seemed to be tied by some god-damned things called LST's."
In the biography MAN IN MOTION: Michigan's Legendary Senate Majority Leader, Emil Lockwood by Stanley C. Fedewa and Marilyn H. Fedewa, Lockwood colorfully describes his World War II service aboard LST-478. "We were always in the thick of it," Emil said, "because it was our job on the LSTs to carry personnel-operated tanks, artillery, supplies—anything, you name it—into the heart of a war zone."
- ^ a b c d e f Lenton & Colledge (1968) p.577
- ^ Chris Bishop The Encyclopedia of Weapons of WWII: The Comprehensive Guide p532
- ^ Brown, D K, Nelson to Vanguard pp. 142-143
- ^ Brown p 143
- ^ Brown, D K p143
- ^ Niedermair (November 1982) p.58
- ^ a b Niedermair (November 1982) p.59
- ^ Ft. Knox's Ark: The LST Building
- ^ Wyckoff (November 1982) p.51
- ^ http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/Admin-Hist/068B-Med/068-Med-17.html#fn6 "Medical Preparation and Casualty Handing, Operation Overlord", pp. 3-4.
- ^ http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0rAV7fxSp7cC&pg=PA47&lpg=PA47&dq=hms+boxer+LST&source=web&ots=7pSo5Dr9We&sig=jyKPgU41MXjudLYeNZmtDSm5fuI&hl=en Landing Ship, Tank (LST) 1942-2002 By Gordon L. Rottman, Tony Bryan, Peter Sarson
- ^ http://www.newsandsentinel.com/page/content.detail/id/538887/LST-325-makes-way-to-Marietta.html?nav=5061
- ^ Fedewa, Stanley C., Fedewa, Marilyn H. MAN IN MOTION: Michigan's Legendary Senate Majority Leader, Emil Lockwood (Llumina/MSU Press, 2003)
- Lenton, H.T. & Colledge, J.J. (1968). British and Dominion Warships of World War II. Doubleday and Company.
- Niedermair, John C. (November 1982). As I Recall...Designing the LST. United States Naval Institute Proceedings.
- Wyckoff, Don P., Colonel USMC (November 1982). Let There Be Built Great Ships.... United States Naval Institute Proceedings.
- Selected Papers On British Warship Design In World War - From The Transactions Of The Royal Institute Of Naval Architects, Conways Maritime Press, 1947, reprinted 1983. ISBN 0 85177 284 6
- Baker, R. (1947) Ships of the Invasion Fleet. Proceeding of the Royal Institute of Naval Architects, Vol. 89 pp. 59–72.
- Brown, D.K. (Ed.), The Design And Construction Of British Warships 1939-1945, Vol 3 Amphibious Warfare Vessels And Auxiliaries. ISBN 0 85177 675 2
- Brown, D.K. (Ed.), The Design and Construction of British Warships 1939–1945 The Official Record, Conway Maritime Press, London, 1996. pp 73–80.
- Carter, Geoffrey, Crises Do Happen - The Royal Navy And Operation Musketeer, Suez 1956, Maritime Books, 2006.
- Cowsill, Miles, By Road Across The Sea - The History Of Atlantic Steam Navigation Company, Ferry Publications 1990. ISBN 1 871947 07 3
- Ladd, J.D., Assault From The Sea 1939-1945, ISBN 0 7153 6937-7
- Lenton, H.T., Warships of the British and Commonwealth Navies 1966, Ian Allan Publishing, 1971.
- Lovering, Tristan, Amphibious Assault, Manoeuvre from the sea, Seafarer Books. ISBN 13; 9780955024351
- Macdermott, Brian, Ships Without Names - The Story of The Royal Navy’s Tank Landing Ships In World War Two, Arms & Armour 1992. ISBN 1-85409-126-3
- Marriot, Leo, Royal Navy Aircraft Carriers 1945-1990, Ian Allan 1985. ISBN 0 7110 1561 9
- New Vanguard 115, Osprey Publishing
- Rottman, Gordon L., Landing Ship Tank (LST) 1942-2002, New Vanguard, 2005. ISBN 1 84176 923 1
- Speller, Ian, The Role of Amphibious warfare in British Defence Policy, 1945-56, Cormorant Security Series, Palgrave. ISBN 0-333-80097-4
LST-1-class tank landing ship
- HMS MISOA - LANDING SHIP TANK (LST)
- Ship Tour LST325 in Evansville, Indiana
- DANFS: TANK LANDING SHIPS (LST)
- NavSource Online: Tank Landing Ship (LST) Index
- InsideLST.com - a selection of information on the construction, complement, &c of LSTs, mostly taken from LST-325
- United States LST Association website
- The American Amphibious Forces Association - information about later classes of LSTs
- History of LSTs including description of LSTs in use as aircraft carriers etc..
- The US LST Ship Memorial - A preserved and operational LST from World War II - LST 325
- LST Story Film: the building and launch of Tank Landing Ship Coconino County (LST-603) during World War II.
United States Navy
List of United States Navy LSTsLST-3-class tank landing ship
Royal Navy Hellenic Navy Ships scrapped or
scuttled before completion
LST 3005 · LST 3034 · LST 3040 · LST 3045 · LST 3521 · LST 3536 ·
LST 3528 · LST 3529 · LST 3533 · LST 3538 · LST 3539 · LST 3540 · LST 3541 · LST 3542 · LST 3543 · LST 3544 · LST 3545 · LST 3546 · LST 3547 · LST 3548 · LST 3549 · LST 3550 · LST 3551 · LST 3552 · LST 3553 · LST 3554 · LST 3555 · LST 3556 · LST 3557 · LST 3558 · LST 3559 · LST 3560 · LST 3561 · LST 3562 · LST 3563 · LST 3564 · LST 3565 · LST 3566 · LST 3567 · LST 3568 · LST 3569 · LST 3570 · LST 3571 · LST 3572 · LST 3573 · LST 3574
Modern naval ships Aircraft carriers Battleships Cruisers Escort Transport Patrol craft
- Patrol boat
- Submarine chaser
- Armed boarding steamer
- Ocean boarding vessel
- Armed yacht
- Naval trawler
- Naval drifter
- Torpedo boat
- Missile boat
- Fast attack craft
- Motor Torpedo Boat
- Motor Gun Boat
- Steam Gun Boat
- Patrol Torpedo Boat
- Harbour Defence Motor Launch
- Examination vessel
- Coastal Motor Boat
- Motor Launch
Naval mine craft Command and support
- Command ship
- Auxiliary command ship
- Fast combat support ship
- Combat stores ship
- General stores issue ship
- Ammunition ship
- Hospital ship
- Auxiliary repair dock
- Crane vessel
- Auxiliary crane ship
- Auxiliary ship
- Fleet tender
- Destroyer tender
- Submarine tender
- Depot ship
- Evacuation ship
- Dispatch boat
- Floating fuel station
- Net laying ship
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.