Nelder Grove is a sequoia grove located in the Sierra National Forest, Madera County, California. It is a 1540 acre (6.2 km²) tract containing over 100 mature Giant Sequoias. It also contains a number of sequoia stumps, left over from when the area was logged prior to its acquisition by the United States Forest Service in 1928. A National Forest campground is also present.
Some of the trees and trails found in the grove that are worthy of special note are:
- Bull Buck Tree: this tree reaches a height of 246 feet (75 m) and has a ground-level circumference of 100 feet (30 m) but only a volume of 27,383 cubic feet (775.4 m3), thus not among the top 40 giant sequoias.
- Graveyard of the Giants: an area which contains a number of large sequoias killed by a wildfire, a fate rarely encountered due to the sequoia's protective bark;
- Shadow of the Giants National Recreation Trail: a trail constructed in 1965 which was established as a National Recreation Trail in 1978;
- Remnants of the area's logging days: including two restored cabins and replicas of cross-log and two-pole log chutes.
- Nelder Tree: The largest tree in the grove at 34,993 cubic feet (990.9 m3); it is the 22nd largest giant sequoia in the world.
- Old Grandad Tree: A tremendously rugged tree atop a hill, there is reason to believe this is a very old tree.
The area was logged extensively from 1878 until the mid-1890s by the Madera Flume and Trading company. They logged mostly sugar pines, ponderosa pines, white firs, and incense-cedars, but they did cut down some of the sequoias as well.
The grove is named after John A. Nelder, who was called by John Muir the "Hermit of the Fresno Forest"; Muir wrote about him and the area in 1878; the description was later included in his book Our National Parks :
- One of the first special things that caught my attention was an extensive landslip. The ground on the side of a stream had given way to a depth of about fifty feet [15 m] and with all its trees had been launched into the bottom of the stream ravine. Most of the trees--pines, firs, incense-cedar, and Sequoia--were still standing erect and uninjured, as if unconscious that anything out of the common had happened. Tracing the ravine alongside the avalanche, I saw many trees whose roots had been laid bare, and in one instance discovered a Sequoia about fifteen feet [5 m] in diameter growing above an old prostrate trunk that seemed to belong to a former generation. This slip had occurred seven or eight years ago, and I was glad to find that not only were most of the Big Trees uninjured, but that many companies of hopeful seedlings and saplings were growing confidently on the fresh soil along the broken front of the avalanche. These young trees were already eight or ten feet [2 or 3 m] high, and were shooting up vigorously, as if sure of eternal life, though young pines, firs, and libocedrus were running a race with them for the sunshine with an even start. Farther down the ravine I counted five hundred and thirty-six promising young Sequoias on a bed of rough bouldery soil not exceeding two acres [8,000 m²] in extent.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of giant sequoia groves — The following is a list of Giant Sequoia groves. All groves are located in moist, unglaciated ridges and valleys of the west slope of the Sierra Nevada range in California, USA. They occur between 1370 2000 m (4500 6500 ft) altitude in the… … Wikipedia
Calvin Crest — or Calvin Crest Conferences is a private Christian campsite near Oakhurst, California, USA. Calvin Crest was established by the San Joaquin Presbytery of California in 1954.A brief history of Calvin CrestThe Miwok Indians were the first people to … Wikipedia
Fresno Dome — Infobox Mountain Name = Fresno Dome Photo = Wamello2.jpg Caption = Fresno Dome s northern face as seen from the Fresno Dome trail. Elevation = 7,540 feet (2,298 m) Location = Madera County, California, USA Range = Sierra Nevada Prominence =… … Wikipedia
Madera County, California — County of Madera County Seal … Wikipedia
Sierra National Forest — Infobox protected area | name = Sierra National Forest iucn category = VI caption = Map of the United States locator x = 20 locator y = 82 location = Sierra Nevada Mountains nearest city = Oakhurst, California lat degrees = 37 lat minutes = 25… … Wikipedia
Comte de Madera — Comté de Madera Comté de Madera Administration Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Comté de Madera — 37° 13′ N 119° 46′ W / 37.22, 119.77 … Wikipédia en Français
Comté de Madera, Californie — Comté de Madera Comté de Madera Administration Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Comté de Madera (Californie) — Comté de Madera Comté de Madera Administration Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Sierra Mountain Lodge — (Ahwahnee,США) Категория отеля: 3 звездочный отель Адрес: 45046 Fort Nip Trail, Ahwahnee … Каталог отелей