The Jellabiya (Arabic: _ar. الجلابية) or Jelabiya, pronounced Gellabiya in
Egypt, is a traditional Arabgarment native to the Gulf region worn by women as a casual dress or as evening wear depending on the amount of work, complication of design beadwork. It dates back to early days of civilization in the Arabiccountries of the Gulf. Jellabiyas are also created for men; however, these include a minimal amount of design and are usually just striped or plain in a variety of colors and are worn exclusively as night-wear or house clothes.
* The Casual Jellabiya: This is often a casual garment using a minimal amount of textiles and design.
* The Evening Jellabiya: Several different mediums are used to create these Jellabiyas. They include, beadwork, embroidery, different stich patterns as well as various textiles such as silk, lace and even wool.
* The Wedding Jellabiya: Jellabiyas worn by the bride at weddings are much like evening Jellabiyas; however, they usually are quite excessive.
In all countries of the Gulf, several local tailoring shops create a variety of Jellabiyas. Nevertheless, for those who desire a more luxurious option, several local designers create a range of
haute coutureJellabiyas. Amina Al Jassim, Kubra Al Qaseerand Waleed Atallahare just a few of the well-known creators of "designer" Jellabiyas.
* [http://hijab.shopkrop.com/hijab.html/Jilbab.html Cool jilbab Designs]
* [http://www.muslimbase.com Jilbabs]
* [http://archive.gulfnews.com/tabloid/Fashion/10052349.html Jellabiya Fashion Report]
* [http://www.aminaaljassim.com Amina Al Jassim's Official Website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Hijab — Higab redirects here. For the municipal company of Gothenburg, Sweden, see Higabgruppen. The standard typical hijab headscarf worn on the head of a mannequin … Wikipedia
Mihrab — Arab World This article is part of the series: Arab Culture … Wikipedia
Niqāb — Part of a series on Islamic culture Architecture … Wikipedia
Clothing in Africa — A woman in Kenya wearing kanga African clothing is the traditional clothing, often vibrantly coloured, worn by the indigenous peoples of Africa. In some instances these traditional garments have been replaced by western clothing introduced by… … Wikipedia
Oriental rug — Part of a series on Islamic culture Architecture … Wikipedia
Thawb — For the city in Yemen, see Thaub, Yemen. A thawb or thobe (Arabic: ثوب / ALA LC: thawb), dishdasha (دشداشة / dishdāshah), kandura (كندورة / kandūrah), or suriyah in Libya, is an ankle length garment, usually with long sleeves, similar to a robe … Wikipedia
Djellaba — (جلابة) (Moroccan Arabic, also known as Darija (الدارجة)) (also djellabah, galabiya, jellāb(a)) is a traditional long, loose fitting outer robe with full sleeves worn in the Maghreb region of North Africa and in Arabic speaking countries along … Wikipedia
Taqiyah (cap) — For teaching on concealment in some Islamic sects, see Taqiyya. Various takiyah on display in Pettah market, Colombo, Sri Lanka … Wikipedia
Maqsurah — Arab World This article is part of the series: Arab Culture … Wikipedia
Bikini — This article is about the women s bathing suit. For other uses, see Bikini (disambiguation). Woman wearing a bikini The bikini is typically a women s two piece swimsuit. One part of the attire covers the breasts and the other part covers the… … Wikipedia