Unit Interventie Mariniers
Unit Interventie Mariniers Active February 22, 1973 - Present Country Netherlands Branch Marine Corps Type Maritime Special Forces Role Special operations / Counter-terrorism / joint civilian/military law enforcement Size Classified Garrison/HQ Mariniers Training Commando, Doorn Nickname Kikkers Motto Sempre Paratus Pro Justitia ("Always Ready For Justice") Commanders Current
The Unit Interventie Mariniers (Unit Intervention Marines, UIM), formerly known as the Bijzondere Bijstands Eenheid (BBE), is an elite Dutch special forces unit, which is specially trained for intervention missions. It consists of a selection of specially trained marines of the Dutch Marine Corps, and it is part of the Maritime Special Operations Forces (MARSOF), which is the maritime counterpart of the Dutch Army's Korps Commandotroepen.
Unit Interventie Mariniers
The Unit Interventie Mariniers is a special forces unit that is specialized in counter-terrorism operations. It is able to operate in and outside of the Netherlands, with emphasis on maritime special operations. This also includes long-range reconnaissance, direct action and military assistance operations, both foreign and domestic, often in conjunction with SF units of the Maritime Special Operations Forces (MARSOF).
- To conduct special operations on sea and land;
- To conduct quick-reaction counter-terrorism and hostage release operations in the Netherlands;
- To provide quick-reaction maritime intervention (harbours, oil platforms, ships, etc.);
- To assist the Dutch police and Royal Marechaussee in domestic joint law enforcement and counter-terrorism operations;
- To act as a security detachment on board the Royal Netherlands Navy ships during humanitarian or peace-enforcing/-keeping missions;
On 22 February 1973, the Dutch government officially created a specialist counter-terrorism unit in response to the Munich massacre, when 11 Israeli athletes were murdered by Palestine pro-Fatah militants. The government felt the urge of protecting the nation against such incidents in the future, and so members of the Dutch Marine Corps were selected for this special unit. Marines were chosen because, at that time, they were particularly notorious: Dutch marines are hardened, highly trained, professional soldiers. The creation of an counter-terrorism unit within the Marine Corps would help relieve the Corps from this negative image.
On July 1, 2006, a new government organ, Dienst Speciale Interventies (DSI) was founded. This is a joint operations centre for counter-terrorism actions in the Netherlands. Members of the UIM and special police units work together, and form a Unit Interventie, which is a joint task force of Defence and police personnel.
Dienst Speciale Interventies
The Dienst Speciale Interventies is the joint operations centre for domestic CT operations, and it combines special units from the Ministries of Defence and Justice. These units are:
- Unit Interventie Mariniers (UIM - the crack CT unit of the Netherlands Marine Corps);
- Brigade Speciale Beveiligingsopdrachten (BSB - special security unit of the Royal Marechaussee)
- Arrestatieteam (AT - the SWAT-team of the Dutch police)
The UIM (or BBE Mariniers prior to 2005) has seen a lot of action since its creation. The first real intervention mission was the recapture of the Scheveningen prison in October 1974. Operators used hand-to-hand combat and stun grenades against jailed terrorists, who had revolted and held the prison under siege.
The best-known intervention mission was ending the combined siege of a train and a primary school, which was done by South-Moluccan terrorists. The UIM managed to kill the 6 captors on the train during a short but precise raid. Unfortunately, 2 hostages did not survive this. The raid was successful due to the fact that the Royal Netherlands Air Force was called in, with 6 F-104 Starfighter aircraft making very low flypast manoeuvres in full afterburn. This was mainly a distraction, allowing for a swift raid and the killing of the six captors on board. The siege at the primary school ended not long after the train siege had ended.
A known operation of the UIM was at on 10 November 2004 in The Hague. The police had tried to arrest Ismail A. and Jason W. (members of the Hofstad Network) in a house at the Laakkwartier, but failed, as three police officers had been injured by grenades thrown at them by the terrorists. UIM operators were ordered to secure and maintain the site. After a successful raid, the two young terrorists were arrested.
In 2008, the UIM had been active in the seas near Somalia as a security detachment for the Royal Netherlands Navy frigate Hr. Ms. De Ruyter, that was tasked with the escort of cargo ships that were contracted by the United Nations' World Food Programme. The unit was deployed several times to fight off pirates that attempted in raiding the ships, and some teams were stationed on some of the ships as well.
In April of 2010, an UIM-team embarked on board Hr. Ms. Tromp re-captured the German container ship MS Taipan off the coast of Somalia, that was under the control of Somali pirates. Though multiple shots were fired, including a machine gun barrage on the ship's bridge, the only injury was an operator that was slightly injured when he fell while storming the ship. A video released by the Royal Netherlands Navy, shows helmet camera footage of the Marines storming and re-taking the ship. 
The UIM uses a variety of weapons:
- Accuracy International AWSM-F sniper rifle
- Diemaco C8 carbine
- Astra Arms StG4 carbine
- FN P90 sub-machine gun
- Glock 17 pistol.
- Sig Sauer P226 pistol.
- Heckler & Koch MP5 sub-machine gun
- Heckler & Koch HK416 assault rifle
- Heckler & Koch MSG-90 sniper rifle
- Steyr SSG sniper rifle.
The Royal Netherlands Navy helicopters provide strategic and tactical airlift, and additional support.
Two Dienst Luchtvaart Politie (Police Aviation Service) AW139 medium sized helicopters are also available for use by the Dienst Speciale Interventies.
It is important to note, however, that UIM operators have been reluctant to use deadly force in the past, instead preferring to use non-lethal methods, intimidation, and non-discriminate fire (shoot only when being shot at) that enable them to capture instead of to kill.
- ^  Video of the Taipan raid (dutch spoken, english subtitles)
- ^ Moll, Hans (September 13, 2005). "De SS-190 Gaat Overal Doorheen... (Free Registration Required)" (in Dutch). NRC Handelsblad News Archive. http://archief.nrc.nl/index.php/2005/September/13/Overig/08/De%20SS-190%20gaat%20overal%20doorheen.... Retrieved 2009-10-17.
- ^ Chloupek, Ireneusz (May 2007). "Holenderskie jednostki interwencyjne" (in Polish). Raport Magazine Online. http://www.altair.com.pl/czasopisma-artykuly-972. Retrieved 2009-09-30.
- ^ Katz, Samuel M. (November 1, 2004). Special Operations Report: "Close Combat Commandos - Inside the Royal Netherlands BBE Counterterrorist Unit". Special Operations Report by GSE Inc (ISBN 978-0974325378), Volume 2.
- ^ Janssen Lok, Joris (July 24, 2007). "Special Forces Spending Fest". Aviation Week, Ares - A Defense Technology Blog. http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3A27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3Aefc9fbd5-bbf1-4030-a312-a91e3f04b9a3. Retrieved 2009-09-01.
- ^ “Kordaat Optreden Nederlanders Verrast Taliban” (in Dutch). De Telegraaf, 11/6/2006.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Korps Mariniers — Mariniersbild in Rotterdam Als Korps Mariniers wird die königliche niederländische Marineinfanterie bezeichnet, welche Teil der niederländischen Marine (Koninklijke Marine) ist. Das niederländische Marineinfanteriekorps gehört zu den ältesten… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Netherlands Marine Corps — Korps Mariniers Badge and Insignia of the Korps Mariniers Active 10 December 1665 present Country … Wikipedia
List of special operations units — flagicon|AustraliaAustralia; nowrap * Clearance Diving Teams [http://www.ausspecialforces.com/cdt.htm] flagicon|CanadaCanada*427 Special Operations Aviation SquadronFact|date=September 2008flagicon|France FranceFrench Army * Groupement de… … Wikipedia
FN P90 — PS90 redirects here. For the Russian aircraft engine PS 90, see Aviadvigatel PS 90. P90 … Wikipedia
GSG 9 — Infobox Military Unit unit name= GSG 9 caption= Old GSG 9 Badge country= flagcountry|Germany type= Special Operations branch= Bundespolizei dates= April 17, 1973 Present specialization= Domestic and International counter terrorism and law… … Wikipedia
SIG Sauer P226 — SIG P226 SIG Sauer P226 in .40 S W Type Semi automatic pistol Place of origin … Wikipedia
Heckler & Koch HK416 — HK416 Norwegian Army Heckler Koch HK416N with 419 mm (16.5 in) long barrel, an Aimpoint CompM4 red dot sight and a vertical foregrip. Type Assault Rifle … Wikipedia
Особая воздушная служба — Special Air Service Специальная воздушная служба Эмблема САС Годы существования … Википедия
Специальная авиационная служба SAS — Special Air Service Специальная авиационная служба Эмблема САС Годы существования 22 июля 1941 30 июня 1946 … Википедия
Servicio Aéreo Especial — Este artículo o sección necesita una revisión de ortografía y gramática. Puedes colaborar editándolo (lee aquí sugerencias para mejorar tu ortografía). Cuando se haya corregido, borra este aviso por favor. Para otros usos de este término, véase … Wikipedia Español