Naked Cowboy performing in Times Square
Born Robert John Burck
December 23, 1970
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.
Occupation Actor, singer, songwriter, writer, "politician" Years active 1998–present Website www.nakedcowboy.com
Robert John Burck (born December 23, 1970), better known as the Naked Cowboy, is an American street performer whose pitch is on New York City's Times Square. He wears only cowboy boots, a hat, and briefs, with a guitar strategically placed to give the illusion of nudity.
Burck was born in Cincinnati, Ohio. He attended Our Lady of the Rosary elementary school in Greenhills, Ohio, and later earned a bachelor's degree in political science from the University of Cincinnati. He began busking in December 1997 and first appeared on Venice Beach, Los Angeles. The public immediately gave him much more money after a friend suggested to him that he dress only in his underwear in order to generate higher earnings.
Though he is currently most famous as a fixture of New York City's Times Square where tour guides on passing buses point him out. "I wanted to be the most famous mother f***erever to live the face of the earth and that's what I am." Burck is also a regular in the streets of the French Quarter during the New Orleans Mardi Gras season. "I had a little old lady in New Orleans Mardi Gras grab my balls and said, 'Just want to see what you got there, Buster!' Only lady that's ever done it. She was about 105. Awesome."He also makes appearances in his hometown of Cincinnati, at the Memorial Day weekend Taste of Cincinnati festival and the Riverfest Labor Day Festival. He has also made an appearance in Austin, Texas, during the South by Southwest Music Conference, He has also made an appearance in Nashville, Tennessee in June, 2008 on Broadway for the CMA Music Festival and he also made an appearance on January 25, 2009 he performed at a Leinster Rugby game in Donnybrook, Dublin, Ireland, singing his theme song "I'm the Naked Cowboy" before 18,000 spectators.
In a 2005 online interview, Burck cited Nancy Reagan and Garth Brooks as two of his leading inspirations. Additionally, on December 10, 2008 he was officially registered as a marriage officiant by the City of New York.
His first job was "Theft. 15-16 years old, you know, being a little punk."
His favorite Vacation spot: "considers the entire world his playground."
His goal is to, "dominate the commercial landscape of the entire world. Also to raise the physical, financial, and social, you know, basically the success standards for mankind."
As the Naked Cowboy's popularity grew, Burck began to make appearances in television, music videos, and other popular media. He auditioned for American Idol during its first season, but he was not admitted to the next round. He also tried out for Australian Idol and Star Search, but with the same results. In 2000, he was also on the short-lived show Moral Court, where conservative talk show host Larry Elder ruled that, in his opinion, Burck's Naked Cowboy persona was not immoral and not a danger to public safety. Burck replied, "Actually, I think I am an inspiration to public safety." On January 24, 2009, Burck also appeared on the Tubridy Tonight show on Ireland's RTÉ television network, performing his theme song accompanied by the Camembert Quartet.
"I've got like six books that I've written to date." His newest book is titled Determination- The Legend of the Naked Cowboy.
Burck has been featured in numerous advertising campaigns. As of 2006, he is part of USA Network's "Characters Welcome" campaign, and he also had a cameo appearance in a Chevrolet commercial that aired during Super Bowl XLI, as well as a Guinness advertisement that aired only in the United Kingdom and Ireland. On August 28, 2008, Burke entered into an endorsement/licensing agreement with Divinely Naked LLC to endorse and create Naked Cowboy Nutritional Products. He has provided license to Blue Island Shellfish Farms to use the name and brand for Naked Cowboy Oysters, which are now the number one selling oysters in Manhattan.
Burck has also made appearances in several music videos, including Cake's "Short Skirt/Long Jacket", Tyler Hilton's "When It Comes", and Nickelback's "Rockstar". In 2007, Burck released an album of his own, signing to 4Sight Music Productions and recording the pop-rock album "Year of the Cowboy" produced by Lee Evans and Gaetano Lattanzi at JAMBOX Recording Studios in New York City. The album was featured on MTV News.
He has also been featured in a number of documentaries. He is profiled in the documentary One Man Brand, produced by Mediastorm, and is also included in the second part of the three-part Richard Dawkins documentary, The Genius of Charles Darwin, first shown on Channel 4 in the United Kingdom in August 2008. He also appeared briefly in the PBS documentary Origins to give his opinion on the possibility of extraterrestrial life.
New York City mayoral candidacy, 2009
On July 20, 2009, it was announced that Burck would challenge Mayor Michael Bloomberg in the 2009 election for Mayor of New York City. At his announcement, Burck stated, "No one knows how to do more with less than yours truly, and that's the kind of thinking I plan on sharing with my fellow New Yorkers when you elect me." On September 5, 2009, Burck withdrew from the race.
Presidential candidacy, 2012
On September 29, 2010, Burck announced his intentions to challenge President Barack Obama in the 2012 presidential election. At his announcement, Burck stated that he has a "very conservative policy" and that he had an "unapologetic commitment to our borders, our language and our culture," borrowing a well-known catchphrase of radio host Michael Savage. Burck changed his appearance by wearing a dress suit and had his hair cut.
On October 6, 2010, Burck officially declared his presidential candidacy at a press conference in Times Square. He stated that he was neither a Democrat nor a Republican, but rather "an American" and that he intends to lead the U.S. Tea Party movement into the Oval Office.
Burck owns the trademark to his Naked Cowboy character and operates it as a franchise. Franchisees must undergo a screening process, and are required to pay Naked Cowboy Enterprises $500 per month or $5,000 per year, which authorizes a person to operate as a "Naked Cowboy" or "Naked Cowgirl". There are a number of franchisees, with the third and fourth recruits Burck's fellow Secaucus, New Jersey resident Robert Coffman and Burck's girlfriend, Cindy Fox.
Lawsuit against Mars Inc
Mars Incorporated created a short animation of the Blue M&M's character playing a guitar while dressed in a white cowboy hat, cowboy boots and underpants on the electronic animation display that hangs outside the M&M'S store at Times Square. Burck, who owns registered trademarks to the Naked Cowboy name and likeness, filed a trademark infringement lawsuit against Mars Incorporated on February 15, 2008.
Burck alleged that the ads infringe on his trademark by "using his likeness, persona, and image for commercial purposes without his written permission and by falsely suggesting that he endorses M&M's candy." The Cowboy’s lawsuit, filed in federal court in Manhattan, requests an injunction stopping Mars from using the Naked Cowboy's likeness to advertise M&M’s products, up to $100 million in punitive damages, and attorney's fees. On June 23, 2008, the court issued a decision that dismissed a portion of the suit relying on New York law but rejected a motion by the defendants to dismiss the trademark claims. In a filing dated November 7, 2008, both Mars Incorporated and Burck agreed and stipulated that the action be dismissed with prejudice, with each party bearing his own costs and attorney's fees. The terms of the settlement were not disclosed.
Burck filed a trademark infringement lawsuit against CBS in February 2011, saying the network's use of a 'Naked Cowboy'-alike figure in an ad for a television show demeaned his image with its "drunk and sexually charged" portrayal.
Former stripper Sandy Kane performed as the "Naked Cowgirl", wearing a bikini and cowboy hat, and was sent a cease and desist letter for her unauthorized use of Burck's trademarked name. Burck dropped the lawsuit in March 2011 and provided authorization for her to use the Naked Cowgirl® Trademark so long as she adds her stage name "Sandy Kane" immediately before or after the valuable moniker. Burck disapproved of Kane's foul-mouthed, raunchy act, including "obscene gestures" directed at tourists. He has licensed other "Naked Cowgirls" to use the trademark.
- ^ "Naked Cowboy runs for NYC mayor _ in his underwear | World news". The Guardian. 2009-07-22. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/8621060. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- ^ [dead link]
- ^ a b (October 6, 2010) "NYC's Naked Cowboy suits up for presidential run", Associated Press. Retrieved on October 6, 2010.
- ^ a b Bayer, Casey (October 6, 2010) "Naked Cowboy for president: Top celebrities (past and present) who aimed for the White House", Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved October 6, 2010.
- ^ a b (October 6, 2010) ;"Naked Cowboy briefs NYers on his presidential bid", The Washington Post. Retrieved on October 6, 2010.
- ^ Official NYC Certificate.
- ^ Posted 1/10/07 (2007-01-10). "''Naked Cowboy: Behind The Bulge''". Mtv.com. http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?id=1549698&vid=127613. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- ^ The Genius of Charles Darwin, Radio Times entry for Monday 11 August, 8:00pm–9:00pm Channel 4
- ^ ProfileName (2009-07-22). "Naked Cowboy Runs for Mayor". Babelgum. http://www.babelgum.com/nakedcowboy. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- ^ "Naked Cowboy for NYC mayor: briefs or Bloomberg?"[dead link]
- ^ "Naked Cowboy pulls out of New York City mayoral race"[dead link]
- ^ "Naked Cowboy on the Run ... for U.S. President", September 30, 2010. TMZ.com
- ^ "'Naked Cowboy' to run for US president", October 4, 2010. Associated Press.
- ^ "A naked cowboy president in 2012?", Washington Post
- ^ "'Naked Cowboy' to run for U.S. presidency" October 6, 2010. Toronto Sun
- ^ a b Phillips, Tom (2010-06-22). ""Naked Cowboy takes legal action against Naked Cowgirl"". Metro.co.uk. http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/832234-naked-cowboy-takes-legal-action-against-naked-cowgirl. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- ^ Daley, Jason (2010-09-20). "The Unlikeliest Franchisee". Entrepreneur.com. http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/217297. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- ^ "Community" Year in Photos: The Hudson Reporter, January 2, 2011, page 32.
- ^ "The Naked Cowboy Sues the Naked M&M" by Slater, Dan, The Wall Street Journal, February 13, 2008
- ^ Slater, Dan (2008-02-15). "The Wall Street Journal Law Blog, "Cowboy's Lawsuit Drives M&M Out of Dodge", February 15, 2008". Blogs.wsj.com. http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2008/02/15/naked-cowboys-lawsuit-drives-mm-outta-dodge/. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- ^ "Middleton, Ekin, "'Naked Cowboy' can sue makers of M&Ms"". Cnn.com. 2008-06-24. http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/06/24/naked.cowboy/index.html. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- ^ "Naked Cowboy, Mars Inc. End M&M Ad Dispute"[dead link]
- ^ Martinez, Jose (2011-02-14). "Naked Cowboy getting dressed for court: Files lawsuit against CBS for 'Bold and the Beautiful' promo - New York Daily News". Articles.nydailynews.com. http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-02-14/entertainment/28616102_1_naked-cowboy-robert-burck-files-lawsuit. Retrieved 2011-11-22.
- ^ Naked Cowboy drops suit against female rival by Rebecca Rosenberg and Bruce Golding, March 10, 2011
- The Naked Cowboy official website
- The Naked Cowboy for President 2012 official website
- The Naked Cowboy rock music page
- Naked Cowboy at the Internet Movie Database
- Biofile interview transcript
United States presidential election, 2012
- United States elections, 2012
- National polls
- Statewide polls
- General election debates
- Barack Obama (campaign)
Incumbent Vice President Candidates Republican Party
Primary polls Candidates
- Michele Bachmann (campaign)
- Herman Cain (campaign)
- Jack Fellure
- Newt Gingrich (campaign)
- Stewart Greenleaf
- Jon Huntsman (campaign)
- Gary Johnson (campaign)
- Fred Karger
- Andy Martin
- Thaddeus McCotter (campaign)
- Jimmy McMillan
- Roy Moore
- Ron Paul (campaign)
- Tim Pawlenty (campaign)
- Rick Perry (campaign)
- Buddy Roemer (campaign)
- Mitt Romney (campaign)
- Rick Santorum (campaign)
- Jonathon Sharkey
2011 events Third party and independent candidates Constitution Party Potential candidates Green Party Candidates Libertarian Party
- Bill Still
- R. Lee Wrights
Potential candidates Prohibition Party Nominee
- Jack Fellure
- James Hedges
Socialist Party USA Nominee Independents Candidates Potential candidates Draft movements Other
- Americans Elect
- Other 2012 elections: House
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Naked Cowboy — Le Naked Cowboy (littéralement « cow boy nu »), de son vrai nom Robert John Burck, né le 23 décembre 1970 à Cincinnati, est un artiste de la rue américain travaillant à Times Square, à New York. Il ne porte que des … Wikipédia en Français
The Naked Cowboy — Robert John Burck, 2006 Robert John Burck (* 23. Dezember 1970 in Cincinnati) ist ein US amerikanischer Straßenmusiker. Burck tritt vorwiegend in New York City auf, spielt Gitarre und trägt dabei nur einen weißen Cowboy Hut, eine weiße Unterhose… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Buck Naked and the Bare Bottom Boys — were a San Francisco, California based band (originally from Omaha, Nebraska) whose music, in a rockabilly vein, was dubbed pornobilly thanks to their lyrics and song titles. Buck Naked (whose real name was Phillip Bury) himself used to appear… … Wikipedia
Bye Bye Mon Cowboy — Infobox Single Name = Bye Bye Mon Cowboy Artist = Mitsou from Album = El Mundo B side = Released = 1988 Format = 7 single Recorded = 1988 Genre = Pop Length = Label = Writer = J.P. Isaac Producer = Pierre Gendron and J.P. Isaac Last single = This … Wikipedia
New York City mayoral election, 2009 — 2005 ← November 3, 2009 → 2013 … Wikipedia
Robert John Burck — (2006) Robert John Burck (* 23. Dezember 1970 in Cincinnati) ist ein US amerikanischer Straßenmusiker. Burck tritt vorwiegend in New York City auf, spielt Gitarre und trägt dabei nur einen weißen Cowboyhut, eine … Deutsch Wikipedia
United States presidential election, 2012 — United States presidential election, 2012 … Wikipedia
JAMBOX Entertainment — is a music company located in midtown Manhattan, New York City that functions primarily as a recording studio and music production company. Located in a three room recording facility on 352 Seventh Avenue, JAMBOX is co owned by Lee Evans and… … Wikipedia
Times Square — For the subway station, see Times Square – 42nd Street (New York City Subway). For other uses, see Times Square (disambiguation). Coordinates: 40°45′28″N 73°59′09″W / 40.75773°N 73.985708°W … Wikipedia
True Crime: New York City — Эта статья или раздел нуждается в переработке. Пожалуйста, улучшите статью в соответствии с правилами написания статей … Википедия