Royal International Air Tattoo
The Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) is the world's largest military
air show, held annually over the third weekend in July, usually at RAF Fairfordin Gloucestershire, United Kingdomin support of The Royal Air Force Charitable Trust. The show usually attracts a total of 150,000 to 200,000 spectators on both days.
The Air Tattoo started in 1971 as an
air showto support the Royal Air Force Associationheld at North Weald, Essex. It outgrew the small airfield and the show was moved to the United States Air Forceoperated Air Force Baseof RAF Greenham Commonnear Newbury, Berkshirein 1973. The Air Tattoo was held at Greenham Common in 1974, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1981 and 1983. When the airfield was selected as a Ground Launched Cruise Missiles base, a new venue was found at RAF Fairford. [cite web|title=Royal Air Force charitable trust enterprises|url=http://www.airtattoo.com/airtattoo/AboutTheTattoo/eventinfo|accessdate=2008-07-13]
* The first Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford was held in 1985. It became an annual show from 1993. Due to runway repairs at RAF Fairford the show temporary moved to
RAF Cottesmore, Rutlandin 2000 and 2001.
* In 1996 the show was awarded a Royal warrant to use the prefix "Royal" and it therefore became the current Royal International Air Tattoo.
* In 2003 the air show was recognized by the
Guinness World Recordsas the largest military air show ever, with an attendance of 535 aircraft.
* In 2006 around 300 aircraft from 24 countries were on display.
The shows have had a number of air show firsts, including the first display and landing of the then top secret
stealth aircraft B-2A Spirit bomberoutside of the United States of Americaduring the 1997 "50 Years of the USAF" anniversary theme and in 2008 the first appearance of the state of the art F-22 Raptorin Europe.
Although the show is a showcase for the world's military, it has became an important precursor to the
Farnborough Airshowheld every even years in the following week. It allows the military aerospace industry to display and present itself outside of the commercial pressures of the Farnborough show.
The 2008 airshow was to feature two themes, the "90th Anniversary of the Royal Air Force" and "Global Engagement". The
United States Air Force Air Combat Command's F-22 RaptorDemonstration Team had made the first trans-Atlantic flight for the new stealth aircraftto participate in the 2008 Royal International Air Tattoo. [cite web| url=http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/07/12/225295/video-riat-2008-f-22-display-follows-flawless-first-transatlantic-crossing.html |title=VIDEO - RIAT 2008: F-22 display follows 'flawless' first transatlantic crossing |date=2008-07-12|accessdate=2008-07-13] On Friday July 10th, 2008, the day before the air show opened to the public, HM The Queen Elizabeth IIpresented under harsh weather conditions new colors to the RAF and RAF Regiment in front of selected guests and VIPs. Following a week of heavy rainfall this made the already waterlogged car parks and some portion of the apron unusable. Safety concerns for the hundreds of thousands of expected visitors led the organizers to a last minute cancellation of the RIAT for the first time in the show history. [cite web|title=Second day of air show cancelled| url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/7503580.stm |date=2008-07-12|accessdate=2008-07-13]
The two main themes for RIAT 2009 have been announced as "Tigers Eye '09" and the 60th anniversary of
The 1993 MiG-29 accident
In 1993 two
Mig-29s of the Russian Air Forcecollided in mid-air and crashed away from the public. No one was hurt on the ground. [ [http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0218115/M/ Photos: Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29S (9-13S) Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net ] ] After having ejected, the two pilots landed safely. [ [http://www.sirviper.com/index.php?page=div/mig29_crash Military Aviation ] ] Investigators later determined that a pilot error was the cause, after one pilot did a reverse loop and disappeared into the clouds, the other one lost sight of his wingmanand aborted the routine.
* [http://www.airtattoo.com/ Official website]
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/content/image_galleries/air_tattoo_2007_gallery.shtml Photos from RIAT 2007]
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/entertainment/festivals/RIAT/ BBC features on the Royal International Air Tattoo, past and present]
* [http://www.michaelpead.co.uk/photography/fairford/index.shtml Michael Pead :: Photos of the Fairford Airshow]
* [http://photosite.pl/aviation/riat06/ RIAT 2006 photo set]
Reviews of Previous RIATs
* [http://www.aircraftinaction.co.uk/2007/RIAT.htm Review of RIAT 2007 - aircraftinaction.co.uk]
* [http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/airshow07/442riat/riat.htm Review of RIAT 2007 - airscene.org.uk]
* [http://www.airshows.org.uk/2007/airshows/riat/index.html Review of RIAT 2007 - airshows.org.uk]
* [http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/airshow06/riat/riat.htm Review of RIAT 2006 - airscene.org.uk]
* [http://www.airshows.org.uk/2006/airshows/riat/index.html Review of RIAT 2006 - airshows.org.uk]
* [http://www.checksix-online.com/html/riat_2006.html Review of RIAT 2006 - checksix-online.com]
* [http://www.airshows.org.uk/2005/airshows/riat/index.html Review of RIAT 2005 - airshows.org.uk]
* [http://www.airsceneuk.org.uk/airshow05/riat05/partone/riat05.htm Review of RIAT 2005 - airscene.org.uk]
* [http://www.aircraftinaction.co.uk/RIATrep.htm Review of RIAT 2005 - aircraftinaction.co.uk]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Royal International Air Tattoo — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) El equipo acrobático británico Red Arrows en el RIAT de 2006. Aeropuerto … Wikipedia Español
Royal Malaysian Air Force — Tentera Udara DiRaja Malaysia Royal Malaysian Air Force ensign Founded 2 June 1958 … Wikipedia
Royal Tournament — The Royal Tournament was the World s largest military tattoo and pageant, held by the British Armed Forces annually between 1880 and 1999. The venue was originally the Royal Agricultural Hall and latterly the Earls Court Exhibition Centre. In its … Wikipedia
Tattoo (disambiguation) — A tattoo is a marking made by the insertion of pigment into the skin.Tattoo may also refer to:In military:* HMAS Tattoo , S class destroyer * Military tattoo, military drum performance * Royal International Air Tattoo, British airshow * Royal… … Wikipedia
Air Training Corps — Infobox Military Unit unit name=Air Training Corps role=Volunteer Youth Organisation garrison=RAFC Cranwell garrison label=Headquarters motto= Venture Adventure current commander= Air Commodore Ian R W Stewart current commander label= Cmdt AC… … Wikipedia
Air show — An air show is an event at which aviators display their flying skills and the capabilities of their aircraft to spectators. Air shows without aerobatic displays, having only aircraft displayed parked on the ground, are called static air shows… … Wikipedia
Air Fan — Pays France Langue Français Périodicité Mensuel Format A4 … Wikipédia en Français
Military tattoo — The original meaning of military tattoo is a military drum performance, but nowadays it sometimes means army displays more generally. It dates from the 17th century when the British Army was fighting in the Low Countries (Belgium and the… … Wikipedia
Beechcraft Super King Air — Infobox Aircraft name= (Super) King Air type= Civil utility aircraft manufacturer= Beechcraft caption= Beechcraft B200 Super King Air designer= first flight= 27 October 1972 introduced= 1972 (Military) February 1974 (Civil) retired= status=… … Wikipedia
U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds — Infobox Military Unit unit name= Thunderbirds 57th Wing United States Air Force caption=The Thunderbirds lined up at Nellis AFB, Las Vegas, Nevada dates= June 1, 1953 to the Present country= allegiance= branch= type= role= Aerobatic display team… … Wikipedia